Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Justin Lee Collins - guilty as charged

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

You could have fooled me, we have Deise Vu's post about how JLC is only guilty because "he is (sort of) famous and, worse, a man." Practically dismissing the story out of hand, simply because he was under the impression that there was no physical abuse.

Not to mention your own first foray into the thread, where you seem to have more of an issue with her, than with him.

So no, maybe no one said outright that psychological abuse isn't bad, but you guys sure are good at being completely dismissive of it. As if it's not much of an issue comparable to physical abuse. Both, fyi, are "a definite no".

My issue was that he is semi well known, wasnt mentioned in the thread he assaulted her, that its being made such an issue, courts dealt with him? plus then your own indignation after another poster acknowledges they didnt realise he assaulted her, you then round on them suggesting they are dismissing psychological abuse affects.
    No one said he isnt clearly wrong, it still seems a bit suprising she hung around.
    Would you allow someone to convince you to close such accounts?
    Also, my first foray into the thread?? whats that to you, checking up on me or something?
    anyway
    enoughs enough

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Merch wrote: »
    My issue was that he is semi well known, wasnt mentioned in the thread he assaulted her, that its being made such an issue, courts dealt with him? plus then your own indignation after another poster acknowledges they didnt realise he assaulted her, you then round on them suggesting they are dismissing psychological abuse affects.
    No one said he isnt clearly wrong, it still seems a bit suprising she hung around.
    Also, my first foray into the thread?? whats that to you, checking up on me or something?
    anyway
    enoughs enough
    I think you're completely missing my point tbh.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Enough of the handbags lads.. Keep it civil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Merch wrote: »
    anyway
    enoughs enough

Have you not ever read or heard anything about spousal abuse before? Frankly I find it bewildering but the victim often:

Blames themselves for the attacks ie it's not him/her it's me.

Thinks he/she will change if they stick it out because they love each other.

Can simply be too scared to leave.

Also the physical abuse was widely reported...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

Have you not ever read or heard anything about spousal abuse before? Frankly I find it bewildering but the victim often:

Blames themselves for the attacks ie it's not him/her it's me.

Thinks he/she will change if they stick it out because they love each other.

Can simply be too scared to leave.

Also the physical abuse was widely reported...

It was a short relationship as far as I can tell and as mentioned she wasn't dependant on him, she could have gotten out very quickly if she wanted, I know its possible there are circumstances that might have delayed that, maybe sympathy etc
    But I wont have you suggest that I am unaware of such abuse at all. From that experience, what I read here tells me this is a relatively low on the radar of how bad things can be.
    I read what was in the thread, no mention till then about physical abuse nor was I aware of it.
    end of from me, I wont reply to the thread so please dont insult me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

You could have fooled me, we have Deise Vu's post about how JLC is only guilty because "he is (sort of) famous and, worse, a man." Practically dismissing the story out of hand, simply because he was under the impression that there was no physical abuse.

Not to mention your own first foray into the thread, where you seem to have more of an issue with her, than with him.

So no, maybe no one said outright that psychological abuse isn't bad, but you guys sure are good at being completely dismissive of it. As if it's not much of an issue comparable to physical abuse. Both, fyi, are "a definite no".

For the record, I had no idea he was physically abusive as the only thing I read was the mad 'look at me all night stuff'. However, I did not delve deep into the sordid details because I lose the will the live when reading too much about minor so-called celebs. I absolutely abhor physical or psychological abuse in long term relationships where there are genuine reasons why the victim might feel helpless or hopeless (kids, lack of financial independence etc).

However, I also believe in personal responsibility too and I think someone needs to take that woman aside and give her some cop-on pills. If your recently acquired boyfriend / girlfriend turns out to be barking mad, walk away. That's a conversation I expect to be having with early teens not a 39 y-o woman.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Deise Vu wrote: »
    If your recently acquired boyfriend / girlfriend turns out to be barking mad, walk away. That's a conversation I expect to be having with early teens not a 39 y-o woman.

It can happen at any age. Believe me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Never liked this guy. Or any of his shows. Is he a comic, because if he is he's not funny?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I liked this guy, thought he had a quirky personality and was good in his presenting roles on tv.

It's always a shock when you get a snippet into what a person is really like. If he has beyond all reasonable doubt treated his partner this way then I've lost all respect for him and would never entertain watching another show he's involved in. I hate bullies, especially big fcuking cowards who treat women like dirt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,288 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

He is suppose to be going on CBB

• Advertisement
Advertisement