Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best thing for battery life?

• 09-10-2012 7:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,739 ✭✭✭

Just got a new laptop to replace a big old thing whose battery dies after 45 minutes of use. :rolleyes:

I want to preserve the life of my new battery so wondering if it's better to use the laptop plugged in on charge as much as possible or use it unplugged as much as possible. I've been given both pieces of advice so hoping someone here will put me right! :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

Battery University. Great resource, something to bookmark for you. ;)

This article should be of particular interest to you:

How to Prolong Lithium-based Batteries

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,739 ✭✭✭sudzs

Torqay wrote: »
    Battery University. Great resource, something to bookmark for you. ;)

This article should be of particular interest to you:

How to Prolong Lithium-based Batteries

Thanks for the links. Nice bit of bedtime reading for me there! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

sudzs wrote: »
    Just got a new laptop to replace a big old thing whose battery dies after 45 minutes of use. :rolleyes:

I want to preserve the life of my new battery so wondering if it's better to use the laptop plugged in on charge as much as possible or use it unplugged as much as possible. I've been given both pieces of advice so hoping someone here will put me right! :)

The main things that reduce the laptop battery life, (and any lithium ion or polymer battery), as in its charge capacity, is being fully charged all the time, and heat, two things which most laptops cause during normal use.

Some now have half charge settings I believe, to help counteract the -fully charged all the time- problem.

If you were to remove the battery when the laptop is plugged in and keep it in the fridge, only using when required, the battery would last a long time with regards to keeping its charge capacity. Probably not all that practical though.

Advertisement