Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leaving permanent teaching post....

• 09-10-2012 7:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Just wanted to get some advice on the following. I have an RPT teaching post and am due to get CID next year. My husband and I have moved to a new county to be near his job and our families. We want to base ourselves there and ideally I would like to work there.

I now commute 80km to work each way. I'm finding the drive majorly draining. The only jobs that came up were for maternity leave covers and I stuck with my RPT job. However, now I am considering applying for one of these and leaving if I get it. I'll be giving up permanency, summer pay etc etc. Am I mad??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭doc_17

80km there and another 80km back? 160km a day?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 butterfly80

Yes 160km per day. It takes about an hour in the morning if I leave home at 7.30am so avoid traffic. And it takes about an hour and 20 coming home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,387 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Yes I think you are mad. You know what the jobs market is like. If you are financially sound and can both live off your husband's salary in the long term then go for it, as there is no guarantee of teaching work anywhere.

Lots of teachers I work with live 80km from school and commute everyday. I would think it's common enough in rural counties, particularly in the west. In the long term you would be better off hanging on to the job and getting your CID and then seeing if you can apply for a transfer closer to home or failing that if you are planning to have children any time soon, having a permanent job with maternity benefits would be quite valuable to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭vamos!

Quite a few of our staff travel that and more.I did something similar for a maternity cover post. It is draining but not as draining as looking for a job where you want it! If you don't really love the school or there are other contributing factors, could you wait it out until you get your CID. You could then look for RPT hours closer to home and you would be in the position to ask straight out if the hours were likely to be there the following year, if there were other part-timers with your subjects etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Quite a few members of staff in my school travel an hour into work, it's common enough. You'd be mad to ditch a job before getting your CID. If the drive is too much, would you consider staying nearer to school a night or two during the week? A friend of mine "lived" with me during the week for a few weeks and another friend stayed near her school when she was late on in her pregnancy. A former colleague of mine continued to live and work 2 hours away from her husband for the first few months of their marriage until she got a job near their home. That is how precious permant nt jobs are.

As another poster mentioned - once you get your CID, you'll have full certain maternity benefits and with a well-timed pregnancy, you could get most of the year off.

You'd want to be 100% certain of your husband's job, your ability to pay a mortgage on one salary and be prepared to be unemployed for quite a while to consider leaving your job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

yup i think you'd be mad also - i did a 70 km commute, leaving the house & 2 small kids at 7.30am as well for a p/t position and if the hours had been renewed i'd have been happy to continue to do so. (well happy might be stretching it, esp with the price of petrol but i'd have done it) i think a lot more people are in a similar position nowadays.
    i'd say stay where you are, get your cid and then maybe reassess ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 574 ✭✭✭bdoo

Might as well have my say....

Unless you are very comfortable financially IT would be a big risk leaving this job, assuming it's not something like 6.5 hours!

If you are in a VEC you could look for a transfer to a nearer school. With the arrival of ETBs soon this will allow you to transfer across county boundaries.

If not you could apply to the director or the redeployment scheme and see can you get a,voluntary redeployment, if there is such a thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 286 ✭✭awny

bdoo wrote: »
    Might as well have my say....

If you are in a VEC you could look for a transfer to a nearer school. With the arrival of ETBs soon this will allow you to transfer across county boundaries.

Could you elaborate on this??? Im with the Co. Dub Vec does that mean I could transfer to Tipperary??

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,284 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

awny wrote: »
    Could you elaborate on this??? Im with the Co. Dub Vec does that mean I could transfer to Tipperary??

No, but you could transfer within County Dublin.

For some people teaching in rural VECs the proposed amalgamations could make the area to which they could transfer quite large.

awny wrote: »

No, but under the redeployment scheme that was set up in the last two years if a school is over quota a teacher can volunteer to be redeployed and I think you can volunteer to be redeployed to another part of the country.

Under normal redeployment rules you can only be redeployed within 30 miles of your current school/centre.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 574 ✭✭✭bdoo

Yeah sorry, what they said. ^^^^^

The unions should insist on a redeployment scheme that suits teachers who want to move as part of our next 'deal' we might as,well get something out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Teacher23

Speaking as someone who has to leave at 6am to make it into school for half 8, I would recommend staying where you are until things look up a bit. I know it's inconvenient but looking for jobs that simply aren't there is even worse. I would love to be in a permanent position. Best of luck.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 67 ✭✭benchppress

with a well-timed pregnancy, you could get most of the year off.

if you ever forget why teachers have such a terrible reputation read this post.

if you ever forget why female staff get paid less than male, read this post.

if you ever forget why teachers have such a terrible reputation read this post.

if you ever forget why female staff get paid less than male, read this post.

Yes, damn those women going off having babies at times that suit them and giving all teachers a bad reputation. How very dare they:rolleyes:

I don't get paid less than my male colleagues, what's your point?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 67 ✭✭benchppress

<against charter trolling>

<snip response to troll>

Don't feed the troll.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,284 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Troll and against charter posts will be deleted.

Do not feed the trolls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 530 ✭✭✭chippers

If it takes you 1 hour 20 minutes then you should definitely stick with it. It takes me one hour and ten minutes at the moment and while it's tiring it's not really a deal breaker. Get yourself something good to listen to in the car - books on cd, learn a language etc. It might make the time go that bit quicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Naaoise

I think you would be crazy to leave your job when You're so close to a CID. I know of teachers who travel 4 hours per day to go to their part-time/maternity cover jobs.
    Unfortunatley, you haven't got the choice to leave a job and think that you will get a position closer. There are NO jobs.
    I am an experienced teacher and through no fault of my own, cannot seem to get a job this year and if I were offered a job that was over an hour away,I'd snap it up. I've done it before and I'll do it again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭aunt aggie

I used to love that hour drive to work.. got everything I had to do sorted in my head and never felt like I was rushing to school. Of course, I dont have kids...

Stick with it but you always have the option of speaking to the principal about your situation and applying to jobs that are closer to home. Althou a lot of interviews are held during school hours.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

Just wanted to get some advice on the following. I have an RPT teaching post and am due to get CID next year. My husband and I have moved to a new county to be near his job and our families. We want to base ourselves there and ideally I would like to work there.

I now commute 80km to work each way. I'm finding the drive majorly draining. The only jobs that came up were for maternity leave covers and I stuck with my RPT job. However, now I am considering applying for one of these and leaving if I get it. I'll be giving up permanency, summer pay etc etc. Am I mad??

On the face of it, you'd be off your rocker to leave this situation for an alternative of maternity leaves/general subbing/unemployment. At least get your CID and then operate from a position of strength when looking at jobs. Many many people have hefty commutes and the ensuing large petrol bills but a job's a job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Seanchai

Powerhouse wrote: »
    At least get your CID and then operate from a position of strength when looking at jobs.

I thought somebody only had a CID with a particular school rather than with the DoES? If this is so, how would having a CID benefit somebody when looking for a job in another school?

I would be delighted to know it would as I'd like to be living/teaching somewhere else in Ireland in two years. I understood you go back to square one if you leave a school where you had a CID?

Seanchai wrote: »
    I thought somebody only had a CID with a particular school rather than with the DoES? If this is so, how would having a CID benefit somebody when looking for a job in another school?

I would be delighted to know it would as I'd like to be living/teaching somewhere else in Ireland in two years. I understood you go back to square one if you leave a school where you had a CID?

You do, unless you're in a VEC school, where the CID is with the scheme. What I think the poster meant was that having your CID means you have a secure job while you are looking for others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

Seanchai wrote: »

Sorry, I can see how my phraseology gave rise to ambiguity. What I meant was that at least if the CID was achieved the OP would be in a solid position in their own school and could consider moving only to jobs of equal status or at least ones where there might be a sustainable position available in the future, rather than maybe a three-month maternity leave position.

Right now if they move they are doing so when on the brink of a situation that could take a very long time to achieve in the future elsewhere. Looking up suitable jobs when you are in a secure position is far less stressful than when you have no work. That's the point I was making.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 butterfly80

Yeah I'll stay put I think for now. I just have a 9 month old baby so I'm finding it tiring. Now my hours are cut my fuel and childcare bills seem enormous in comparison to salary. I'm right on the border of my county so couldn't possibly get transfer closer to where I live. But I know what you all mean..... now is not the time to give up the CID which is within reach.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 1brokegirl

butterfly80 pm sent:D

• Registered Users Posts: 18 wantano

Yeah I'll stay put I think for now. I just have a 9 month old baby so I'm finding it tiring. Now my hours are cut my fuel and childcare bills seem enormous in comparison to salary. I'm right on the border of my county so couldn't possibly get transfer closer to where I live. But I know what you all mean..... now is not the time to give up the CID which is within reach.

To be honest I think you have pretty strong reasons to move. You don't have a CID, you don't have full hours, you have a long commute that you don't want, financially it's not worth your while due to Childcare and time spent driving is time away from your child.
    I would update my cv and start researching schools. Obviously it's good to be looking when you've a CID already but the longer you leave it the longer you are putting up with a situation that makes you unhappy

wantano wrote: »
    I would update my cv and start researching schools. Obviously it's good to be looking when you've a CID already but the longer you leave it the longer you are putting up with a situation that makes you unhappy

Unless, the OP's husband is on a great permanent number, she'd be far more unhappy being unemployed and broke.

It's a huge shift going back to work after having a baby and you probably feel guilty for spending so much time away, but you have the worst (and longest) bit nearly over you now. The rest of the school term has decent breaks and shorter terms and it will fly once you get into your stride again. Maybe you could ask your principal if he/she could fit your hours into four days next year or four and a half. That would really take the strain off.

Advertisement