Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Would you welcome Chancellor Merkel to Ireland?

• 09-10-2012 7:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

Personally, I wouldn't be against her visiting; business or leisure. She seems nice enough. If anything I think it would be quite grown up to be able to tell her of our woes with Europe here. Dressing up in Nazi uniforms and destroying our own streets over it just seems very childish and unnecessary to me.

Would you welcome Chancellor Merkel to Ireland? 78 votes

Yes, come on over Merkel! Céad míle fáilte...
    0% 0 votes
    No! Take a hike!
    100% 78 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

JJLongford wrote: »
    Personally, I wouldn't be against her visiting; business or leisure. She seems nice enough. If anything I think it would be quite grown up to be able to tell her of our woes with Europe here. Dressing up in Nazi uniforms and destroying our own streets over it just seems very childish and unnecessary to me.

If shes paying........

Ah wait.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

Yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,216 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

NEIN, We have had our fill of Fat Bints robbing the country blind, looking at you Biffo, Bertie and Harney et al.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

Do you think they would let me get close enough to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Atari Jaguar

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,551 ✭✭✭Carlow2011

Of Course, why on earth wouldn't you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

I'd welcome her as much as I welcome a head cold, I wouldn't like it but I'll ignore it until it goes away, sure that's the Irish way to be sure to be sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Willkommen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Is this a serious question?

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭JJLongford

Aidric wrote: »
    Is this a serious question?
    Not seen the news today? She went to Greece! They ripped the place apart and some dressed as Nazis for the day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭kodoherty93

Yeah of course. She has allowed the country to function for the last 3 years with cheapish money. If we didnt have a bailout the country would not have functioned over night. No money to pay social welfare, education and pay wages.

We would have ended up like a third world country

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

She'd realise that none of us are actually working instead of just the lads with the flag not working.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 455 ✭✭The Little Fella

Chancellor Merkel...pfffft...more like Overlord Merkel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

It would be a merikel if she was received well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Not seen the news today? She went to Greece! They ripped the place apart and some dressed as Nazis for the day.

Did Germany cause Greece's problems?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭DyldeBrill

Yes be sorted if she asks me for any sort of directions!

Links, rechts geradeus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

Lets have a referendum on it, to see if she's welcome by all.

If we vote no, well then we can always hold another referendum to see if we were only kidding the first time.

Truth is, if the Gov want her to come calling then they ain't likely to ask us if she's welcome or not.

She's welcome to call around to my place though. She'll have to make do with spuds and cabbage and a spot of dancing around the ould fire to violin music.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

the word nazi mentioned in the opening post. how original. i am surprised the irish do not get a rough ride in places like Britain where the IRA committed many a heroic deed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

I see no reason why she shouldn't be welcome. Now if people want to peacefully protest, then they certainly have that as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Of course i would. Why wouldnt we welcome our own head of state to visit us :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

Aidric wrote: »
    Did Germany cause Greece's problems?

Yes, they refused to keep lending them money so they could retire at 50 and not pay taxes.

the same people would probably put black polish on their faces if barrrack obama came.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Z.O.D!!!

Welcome is a bit too strong a word for it, just like the Queens visit to our fair shores, I would nothing it.

One member of a foreign political class meeting with a member of the Irish political class means sweet F.A to me.

Yes, they refused to keep lending them money so they could retire at 50 and not pay taxes.

apparently a lot of Greeks have their money abroad to avoid paying tax. much like our own elite. the greeks were expecting handouts, in other words, free money. they had their chance and they blew it. EU money is now going towards 'Eastern' European member states where the people are a bit more hard working and less likely to piiiss it away.

Fuinseog wrote: »
    the word nazi mentioned in the opening post. how original. i am surprised the irish do not get a rough ride in places like Britain where the IRA committed many a heroic deed.
    What are you on? Did you not see the news today? It was shown by all news stations today - Greeks dressing up as Nazis in protest at Merkel's visit. I don't see how my reference to that is out of context.

Think before you post...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Maire2009

Why are people so anti-Merkel? She's serving her people as best she can, and trying to do right by her country. If only the gob****es here would do the same.

As for the muppets in Greece in their Nazi outfits - perhaps they'd be best served trying to rebuild their country rather than destroying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭splendid101

I would suck her f*cking dick if she came here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

I don't trust her, or her side-kick :pac:... Nasty piece of work the both of them are and not welcome. They are going to have us for dinner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

I don't know anything about her, but it's fashionable to hate her, so yeh, she can fuk off the nazi! And she's not hot - the bitch!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

Madam_X wrote: »
    I don't know anything about her, but it's fashionable to hate her, so yeh, she can fuk off the nazi! And she's not hot - the bitch!

I tend to differ.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭nice_very

I would welcome her with a traditional Irish "pléascadh le fual" welcome

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Please explain how that's comparable? And do take into account the troubles and British rule and exploitation while you're at it. I don't have a republican streak but I do have some pride for my forefathers. Maybe don't talk crap though?

On a lighter note here's Dara O Briain getting a rough ride:

What are you on? Did you not see the news today? It was shown by all news stations today - Greeks dressing up as Nazis in protest at Merkel's visit. I don't see how my reference to that is out of context.

Think before you post...

No, I did not see the news. the irish are obsessed with the nazis and for many it is the limit of their horizons when asked something about Germany.

if she does come it is guaranteed that references will be made to the war. david norris called the pope a Nazi just because he is German.

Shryke wrote: »
    Please explain how that's comparable? And do take into account the troubles and British rule and exploitation while you're at it. I don't have a republican streak but I do have some pride for my forefathers. Maybe don't talk crap though?

On a lighter note here's Dara O Briain getting a rough ride:

the irish would get piissed off pretty quick if all they ever heard was 'IRA' when they mentioned where they came from, yet the average irish person thinks nothing of bringing up the war if when they meet a German. every country has done things it is not proud off. WW2 was a long time ago. The IRA murder of innocent civilians done in our name was not.

Chancellor Merkel...pfffft...more like Overlord Merkel.

yeah, merkel and her like demand we save money and make cutbacks while for the last decade we lived on free EU money and piissed away every penny.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

Norris referred to the pope as a nazi for much more reason than him being German. Not saying he was right to, but it's disingenuous to say his being German was the only reason for the slur.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Agent_Orange

Craig Doyle will be eliminated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Icepick

No. But then again, I wouldn't welcome anybody I don't know personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭dj jarvis

the irish would get piissed off pretty quick if all they ever heard was 'IRA' when they mentioned where they came from, yet the average irish person thinks nothing of bringing up the war if when they meet a German. every country has done things it is not proud off. WW2 was a long time ago. The IRA murder of innocent civilians done in our name was not.

no they dont , dont make such a sweeping statement , they may jest about the war and how not to mention it , but do you honestly believe if a average Irish person met a German tourist they would mention Nazi Germany unless promoted ?

i have 2 sisters married to Germans, with lots of little German sprogs , cant count the amount of Germans we have staying in our house , and the war has NEVER been mentioned in jest or otherwise - so sorry you are wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

Greece and Ireland have different experiences of Germany, which did not invade our country or kill hundreds of thousands here. Besides which, Angela Merkel wasn't even born then, and the Greeks fail to recognise that they are in part the architects of their own misfortune given their reluctance to pay taxes and their failure to make their super-rich contribute to financing their social system.:)

Although I disagree with her on many things, I recognise that she, too, has to answer to her electorate and will do her utmost to protect Germany's national interests in the EU and wider afield. After all, we are always calling on our own politicians to do the same.:rolleyes:

She is the head of government of a friendly state - even if our relations with it are strained at the moment - and she deserves to be received here with respect and cordiality.:)

After all, if we could stomach the aul Windsor wan - who has a lot of German genes in her mixture - shouldn't we be able to bear a full-blooded German?:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Honest opinion

NEIN, We have had our fill of Fat Bints robbing the country blind, looking at you Biffo, Bertie and Harney et al.

What an insightful and interesting perspective. :rolleyes:

No, I did not see the news. the irish are obsessed with the nazis and for many it is the limit of their horizons when asked something about Germany.

if she does come it is guaranteed that references will be made to the war. david norris called the pope a Nazi just because he is German.

Again, think before you post.

Technically, the pope was a Nazi (member of the Nazi youth). Not wanting to split hairs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Merkel and her kind can go to hell. My blood literally boils when I think of them blackmailing us to bail out a sh!tty cowboy bank and then demanding we pay for it ourselves instead of letting their precious investors pay the price for their own stupidity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

I think its the Brits who are obsessed with all things German,WWII,Nazis.The Germans never done nothing to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

Some of my best friends are Germans :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5 Piece of Bread.

Would be the first time a Nazi has not been happily invited to the Irish Republic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

dj jarvis wrote: »
    no they dont , dont make such a sweeping statement , they may jest about the war and how not to mention it , but do you honestly believe if a average Irish person met a German tourist they would mention Nazi Germany unless promoted ?

i

the amount of Irish people I have encountered who found it funny to shout 'heil hitler' whenever they come across a German. its not funny even if it is intended to be in jest, no more than i would find it funny for a complete stranger abroad to make fun of the drunken irish or the IRA.

what should we protest about when she comes? The Germans want us to spend wisely and make necessary cutbacks. what is wrong with that? we have not been able to govern ourselves and let ourselves be voluntarily raped by fianna fail.
    this country probably has the most generous welfare system in the EU. that has to change. our German counterparts only get half of that.
    German tourits spend millions in ireland. German companies employ at least 20,000 Irish people. maybe they should f off back to where they came from.
    greeks wearing nazi uniforms is like shinners wearing black and Tan uniforms for teh visit of the queen, which even they would have found ridiculous.

I think its the Brits who are obsessed with all things German,WWII,Nazis.The Germans never done nothing to me.

unfortunately British culture has a powerful hold here.

• Advertisement
Advertisement