Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Would you welcome Chancellor Merkel to Ireland?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

NEIN, We have had our fill of Fat Bints robbing the country blind, looking at you Biffo, Bertie and Harney et al.

You do realise she (germany as a whole) GAVE us money, don't you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

CruelCoin wrote: »

free money. now we come out with all the anti German feeling where they give us a loan, known in Ireland as a bailout.without germany this country would have gone down the tubes.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

either way, she's paying for it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Africa

Honestly, no. Her decisions protect her own country; thats fair enough, but its at our expense. Why she would want to come into the fire is against me anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭dj jarvis

Fuinseog wrote: »
    the amount of Irish people I have encountered who found it funny to shout 'heil hitler' whenever they come across a German. its not funny even if it is intended to be in jest, no more than i would find it funny for a complete stranger abroad to make fun of the drunken irish or the IRA.

ah come on - either you have been VERY VERY unlucky to have come across these idiots, or your exaggerating for the sake of your argument.

Were these 10 year olds ? have to say, you move in very strange circles if the people you are around shout heil Hitler at Germans.

As for people shouting abuse at the Irish - I ran a bar in Germany for 2 years and a bar in Greece for a year - Place was crammed with drunk people , perfect opportunity for someone to start throwing insults about the Irish or the IRA , and do you know what ? NEVER HAPPENED , not even in jest

so basically you are saying only the Irish would be so ignorant towards Germans ?
    sorry but it just does not happen , and if it does it would be a loan twat rather than the Irish as you would have us believe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭9959

Fuinseog wrote: »
    unfortunately British culture has a powerful hold here.

I couldn't agree more.
    The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Oasis, Blur, The Arctic Monkeys, Radiohead et al.
    Shakespeare, Dickens, Milton, D.H. Lawrence
    Irving Welsh, Martin Amis, Christopher Hitchens, Dylan Thomas
    The BBC
    English - A language almost universally understood, and if not understood, then studied.
    Football, it'll never catch on. (You probably call it Soccer as do our American friends).
    Rugby Union (try selling that silly sport to the rough-hewn Irish lads of, let's say, Limerick!
    I could go on, but I would refer you to a speech made by 'Reg', a character played by John Cleese in the film 'The Life of Brian' which begins:"What have the Romans ever done for us"
    A film, incidentally, which was banned in Ireland.
    We (the Irish) led the western world when it came to censorship.

In answering the question posed in the 'thread heading', I would paraphrase another character played by John Cleese.

Yes, but don't mention 'The Emergency'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Yeah of course. She has allowed the country to function for the last 3 years with cheapish money. If we didnt have a bailout the country would not have functioned over night. No money to pay social welfare, education and pay wages.

We would have ended up like a third world country
    This is the great myth as exposed by Stephen Donnelly.
    pretty much all the money went directly into our banking system to save foreign investors and bond holders (gamblers) from losing. This was done to stop our banks contaminating the rest of the Eurozone not so we could pay welfare, gardai and teachers. And the best part is that this debt is all on the shoulders of the Irish taxpayer for the next 100 years ensuring that our economy will continue to stagnante.
    By any moral measure the banks should have been allowed to fail and the gamblers shoulder their own debts.
    Everything Angela and lads did was in the interest of their business buddies not the Irish people.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭splendid101

Merkel and her kind can go to hell. My blood literally boils when I think of them blackmailing us to bail out a sh!tty cowboy bank and then demanding we pay for it ourselves instead of letting their precious investors pay the price for their own stupidity.

Sweet mother of mercy, I can personally and categorically guarantee that not even a millilitre of your blood literally boils under any circumstances that don't involve an amount of bleeding for you and red kettles full of your blood.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭cardwizzard

CruelCoin wrote: »

They GAVE us feck all, u do realize that don't u?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭coonecb1

Yeah of course. She has allowed the country to function for the last 3 years with cheapish money. If we didnt have a bailout the country would not have functioned over night. No money to pay social welfare, education and pay wages.

Sad that ignorance like this is so common.

1. The troika bailout was done by EU/ECB/IMF. Merkel had no part in the negotiations.

2. The bailout, if you remember correctly, was forced on us by the EU, at the time both Biffo and Lenihan denied wanting or needing a bailout, saying we were fully funded until 2011, which was correct at that time.

3. The money to pay for social welfare and education is not entirely dependent on the bailout. We could have saved billions by reneging on bank debt (especially the unguaranteed debt) or at the least by negotiating a 50% haircut with the bondholders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Jhcx

Who's this now? im neither for nor against what ever this person is going to do for Ireland. as long as my money keeps a rollin im happy out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

Why not? once she goes to the bar first

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Would say shed get a better welcome if they woke up and stopped messing around. Things have dragged on this long because of too much dicking around with halfassed solutions expecially with some quarters in Germany.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

JJLongford wrote: »
    Personally, I wouldn't be against her visiting; business or leisure. She seems nice enough. If anything I think it would be quite grown up to be able to tell her of our woes with Europe here. Dressing up in Nazi uniforms and destroying our own streets over it just seems very childish and unnecessary to me.
    Dressing up sounds like more fun to be honest:)

or god forbid like Iceland

Advertisement