Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sony Xperia U - data tethering?

• 09-10-2012 8:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 318 ✭✭

Recently purchased one of these over in England. Now that am back in collage and currently internet less,I figured i could tether my phone to my/my housemates laptops. Just have a few questions for anyone with experience in data tethering...

How much data would 3 laptops(medium usage) consume in a month roughly?

Whats the best pay as you go plan to be on to attempt tethering? Or is a contract advised when attempting it?

Any help is very welcome. :)

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

i
    Recently purchased one of these over in England. Now that am back in collage and currently internet less,I figured i could tether my phone to my/my housemates laptops. Just have a few questions for anyone with experience in data tethering...

How much data would 3 laptops(medium usage) consume in a month roughly?

Whats the best pay as you go plan to be on to attempt tethering? Or is a contract advised when attempting it?

Any help is very welcome. :)

3 do an all you can eat data plan (€20 for 30 days unlimited), but I'm not how sure how legal it is to tether. Would it not be unbearably slow anyway?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Get a dongle, but even then that wont do.

3 Do an all you can eat, 15GB fair usage, but tethering is prohibited. Tops out at 5Mb though, average about 3, so not fast enough.

Dongle will be 15GB plan at best, but three light users might burn that, depending on what you class as medium, it wont last you.

And just so you know, you cant game on 3G.

If you're on campus do you not get internet, and if you're off campus, get UPC if you can, eircom if you cant. Bigger bill but proper internet and no getting disconnected for reefing the connection out of it.

ED E wrote: »
    And just so you know, you cant game on 3G.

Of course you can! I've been gaming via my phone's internet for years on 3 without even a hint of lag! Perhaps I'm just lucky.

OP if you have an Android phone without any of 3's custom firmware, you can use it to tether no problem. Probably best to get a 3 sim first to test the connection in your area. Then just top by €20 and enjoy all you can eat! :)

Of course you can! I've been gaming via my phone's internet for years on 3 without even a hint of lag! Perhaps I'm just lucky.

OP if you have an Android phone without any of 3's custom firmware, you can use it to tether no problem. Probably best to get a 3 sim first to test the connection in your area. Then just top by €20 and enjoy all you can eat! :)

You're either very lucky or have lower expectations wrt latency.

ED E wrote: »
    You're either very lucky or have lower expectations wrt latency.

In all honesty I think it's neither, I used to play Cod and Fifa regularly and noticed no latency issues. Perhaps you are unlucky? What are your typical speeds and pings?

• Advertisement

It varies, in the centre of town where you obv have a high tower density its very stable, but in the suburbs(10 min from town) its just not stable enough. A lot of the time it'll be 3d/1u at about 95ms, but you get spikes(probably from some cúnt torrenting on a 3G) where speeds plummet and the ping jumps to 300+. That instability ruins it for me.

Advertisement