Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Schoolgirl gets €4,000 for unauthorised swine flu jab.

• 09-10-2012 8:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭

A great move by her parents who fought this case of unnecessary torture and humiliation against their daughter. It should be a lesson to us all that we should have the right to choose should we or our kids want to receive jabs or not.

"A six year old child given a flu vaccine at school without her parents’ consent has been awarded €4,000 damages.

In the Circuit Civil Court, Judge Matthew Deery was told Niamh Fleming had been taken from her classroom in a Dublin city centre school, St Laurence O’Toole National, and inoculated against the H1N1virus.

Mr Crean said the defendants had offered a figure of €4,000 in settlement to the claim for assault, battery, false imprisonment and trespass to Niamh’s person and he was recommending acceptance of it".

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/courts/schoolgirl-gets-4000-for-flu-jab-given-without-parents-consent-3254826.html

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

Mmmm €4,000.........Inject me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

Do you never bore yourself RTDH?

People who oppose jabs are idiots.

brummytom wrote: »

I work in a hospital, nurses, microbiologists, doctors, and consultants, chose not to get those injections because of their unknown effects. I wouldn't call most of them idiots.

Studies have suggested that there is a potential link between the H1N1 vaccine and narcolepsy in children.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

I work in a hospital, nurses, microbiologists, doctors, and consultants, chose not to get those injections because of their unknown effects. I wouldn't call most of them idiots.
    I work in a hospital, the doctors I've spoken to would call them idiots. As members of staff, we're heavily encouraged to get vaccinations. They do far more good than harm.
    Studies have suggested that there is a potential link between the H1N1 vaccine and narcolepsy in children.
    Studies suggested a potential link between MMR jabs and autism. Those studies were bollocks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

torture? humilliation? really??

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Studies such as...?

I work in a hospital, the doctors I've spoken to would call them idiots. As members of staff, we're heavily encouraged to get vaccinations. They do far more good than harm.

Most vaccinations I would agree with you about that, but not the H1N1. I wouldn't choose to give that to any child of mine unless they were in a high risk category. We were offered the vaccination, but pretty much advised not to get it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Bradidup

People that don't oppose jabs are sheeple

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

Studies such as...?

The well known H1N1 Narcolepsy study of 2010 by UCC

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

Studies suggested a potential link between MMR jabs and autism. Those studies were bollocks.
    Sitting ducks? My kids are heavily encouraged not to get them, mainly by me, and mainly because I've some idea of the guff that is associated with them and what goes into them. The term "Experimental" springs to mind. There's an awful lot of "ohh, we didn't know that was a side effect, how unusual" involved, IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Most vaccinations I would agree with you about that, but not the H1N1. I wouldn't choose to give that to any child of mine unless they were in a high risk category. We were offered the vaccination, but pretty much advised not to get it.

Yep.

The only thing worse than being a crank is dismissing those who question accepted norms as being cranks themselves.

I've gone from someone who thought those who opposed water flouridation were daft, a year ago, to drinking bottled water exclusively.

Not because I think the Man is using it to keep us docile, but because there are proven health implications. As with this vaccine. Like WADD, I'd be very slow to have it administered to one of mine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

A great move by her parents who fought this case of unnecessary torture and humiliation against their daughter. It should be a lesson to us all that we should have the right to choose should we or our kids want to receive jabs or not.

"A six year old child given a flu vaccine at school without her parents’ consent has been awarded €4,000 damages.

In the Circuit Civil Court, Judge Matthew Deery was told Niamh Fleming had been taken from her classroom in a Dublin city centre school, St Laurence O’Toole National, and inoculated against the H1N1virus.

Mr Crean said the defendants had offered a figure of €4,000 in settlement to the claim for assault, battery, false imprisonment and trespass to Niamh’s person and he was recommending acceptance of it".

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/courts/schoolgirl-gets-4000-for-flu-jab-given-without-parents-consent-3254826.html

You really are becoming a parody of yourself RTDH

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Shinaynay

wouldnt go near them jabs!! how can they come up with jabs for bird flu etc in a matter of days but not aids or cancer afyer decades? its fishy & i wouldnt go near them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

torture? humilliation? really??
    Yes the pin prick would have been the least of her worries.

What about the anxiety for weeks about the side effects from these toxic chemicals .

Studies such as...?

Such as ones carried out in Finland.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/health-and-fitness/health/conditions/who-probing-reported-link-between-h1n1-vaccine-narcolepsy/article623507/

The link is thus far unconfirmed by the WHO.

This is ridiculous:
    assault, battery, false imprisonment and trespass to Niamh’s person

but nonethless, she shouldn't have received the injection without parental consent.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭BASHIR

Ah here, you cant be serious.

Yes the pin prick would have been the least of her worries.

What about the anxiety for weeks about the side effects from these toxic chemicals .

In fairness RTDH, who the f would discuss such a thing with a child???
    If the parents did then they are foolish beyond belief.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

I agree that parents should have the right to decided, unless perhaps there is a serious risk of contagion but can't help suspect that these folks are scum looking for compo.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭BASHIR

Can you explain to us how these jabs are suppose to work before you knock them?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

Do you never bore yourself RTDH?

Its their right to be idiots

Shinaynay wrote: »
    wouldnt go near them jabs!! how can they come up with jabs for bird flu etc in a matter of days but not aids or cancer afyer decades? its fishy & i wouldnt go near them
    Hmm, you've not researched the origins of AIDS much, have you? Try vaccination of vulnerable african populations with vaccines cultured by innoculating apes and then extracting the serum, for administration. They did a "whoops" by not recognising that diseases carried by the apes might be transmitted with the "vaccine", hence the almost perfect overlap of "Origin of AIDS maps" with the "areas vaccinated with our shyte" maps. To blindly assume vaccination is a straightforward positive in all cases is naive. There have been some ENORMOUS cock-ups with what they have vaccinated humans with - have a goo at the states and their meningitis crisis at the mo for a recent example.

Yep.

The only thing worse than being a crank is dismissing those who question accepted norms as being cranks themselves.

I've gone from someone who thought those who opposed water flouridation were daft, a year ago, to drinking bottled water exclusively.

Not because I think the Man is using it to keep us docile, but because there are proven health implications. As with this vaccine. Like WADD, I'd be very slow to have it administered to one of mine.

I assume you mean the Quad vaccine, and by your misnaming it I can safely make assumptions on how well informed you are about it. The vaccine is one of the greatest triumphs of all modern science, let alone just healthcare. Now of course we have conspiracy theorists, cranks and assorted nutjobs questioning their benefit and talking up non-existent or extremely rare complications. The benefit derived from vaccination far far outweighs the risks.

As for drinking bottled water, I suppose you're not worried about chemicals from the plastic leaching into the water given your concern about fluoride?

Such as ones carried out in Finland.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/health-and-fitness/health/conditions/who-probing-reported-link-between-h1n1-vaccine-narcolepsy/article623507/

The link is thus far unconfirmed by the WHO.

This is ridiculous:

but nonethless, she shouldn't have received the injection without parental consent.

All for what... forgetting to ask the child if she brought her permission slip.

Compo culture, Ireland 2012.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Shouldn't have given her the jab without permission, regardless of how you feel about them.

Majority of vaccination procedures are completely safe, but side affects are an issue that cannot be ignored. In the case of H1N1, if you weren't in one of the risk groups I think it'd be ok to leave it.

People who oppose well established vaccines (eg MMR) well, good luck to them..

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I'm not surprised it's unconfirmed...
    Researchers noted that all the children who developed narcolepsy carried a genetic marker for the disease.

{......}

GSK said in a statement that 31 million doses of Pandemrix had been administered and 162 cases of narcolepsy had been reported in those who were immunized.

A rate of %0.000522.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭seantorious

Ultimately the problem here isn't permission slips but blanket immunisations. They're fine for measles but a theoretical new vaccine that was brought in at the behest of politicians to impress constituents and not by healthcare workers recommendations.

All for what... forgetting to ask the child if she brought her permission slip.

Compo culture, Ireland 2012.
    No, for injecting a child with a chemical/vaccine without parental permission. Funny how it's no biggie "forgetting" to ask for the slip, but a huge error if the boot were on the other foot - try "forgetting" some form or other when applying for somthing to the HSE and see how "fun" they find that. Oh, and I disagree with you on the vaccine front, and that's my right, as is declining to give parental consent. If they had administered it to mine regardless, I too would have sued, BTW. :) . I also btw have no issue with the MMR and my kids got that. As did I. Flu etc is a whole other ball of wax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Kinzig

As the next of kin of an elderly relative I was asked if I wanted him to have that vaccination, on asking the medical people for their advice and asking did they have it they all told me no:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭kodoherty93

The person should have signed a confidentiality agreement. Know every howiya will have had an authoriesed injections

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭SpannerMonkey

i wouldnt touch any vaccine that has been hurried into production and is just released unless there was a real and justifiable risk of harm from not taking it , ones that have been around for years , i wouldnt have a problem with, and have taken plenty of

Pottler wrote: »
    No, for injecting a child with a chemical/vaccine without parental permission. Funny how it's no biggie "forgetting" to ask for the slip, but a huge error if the boot were on the other foot - try "forgetting" some form or other when applying for somthing to the HSE and see how "fun" they find that. Oh, and I disagree with you on the vaccine front, and that's my right, as is declining to give parental consent. If they had administered it to mine regardless, I too would have sued, BTW. :) And through work, I may well see far more of the vaccine industry than you would ever give me credit for on here.

Nice red herring you threw in there. I can guarantee that this was an administrative error, and that the child was immunised with the rest of her class, where permission should have been sought but wasn't for whatever reason - probably carelessness. I doubt the child was forced kicking and screaming and strapped to a chair to have the injection administered. It was a simple mistake.

No harm was actually done.

The person should have signed a confidentiality agreement. Know every howiya will have had an authoriesed injections
    Which is all good. It's the unauthorised ones that may have cause to sue.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

Shinaynay wrote: »

How... how would you vaccinate against cancer? It's not a virus. It's not even a singular disease. I mean, are you serious? You're going to stridently dismiss not just a therapy but an entire therapeutic concept, yet you're talking about vaccinations for cancer?

Don't you think you need to do some more research before you express such certainty?

(And yes I'm aware of the cervical cancer vaccine- very exceptional case)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭kirving

While I personally think the child probalby should have got the vaccine, I still think the parents were completly in the right to sue. Whoever gave the vaccine had no permission to do so, so they shouldn't have done it. Idiots didn't follow procedure.

• Advertisement

This was likely just stupidity on behalf of the school, or medical service.

However, if they deliberately went against the parents instructions then, fair dues, they should have been heavily penalised, but the money given to charity, not as compo (because there was no injury to compensate - not that a reasonable person would consider anyway).

If it was a simple oversignt, then it should never have got to court, provided there were profuse apologies.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Eriopis

that vaccination was horrible. I'm usually totally pro-vax, my child is vaccinated against everything (including chicken pox) as she was born very premature and sick and the illnesses she was vaccinated against would have caused her life-threatening consequences at the time.
    The swine flu jab we had done when it was being heavily pushed, and she was still considered high risk, but never, ever again. It was two sets of jabs, and after every one she was in bits for days afterwards crying that her mouth felt like it was literally burning, she could barely eat or drink and was severely off colour. When the same thing happened after the second jab I realised it wasn't a coincidence.
    Our doctor told us afterwards (thanks) that she wouldn't get her kids or herself done with that vax because of it being untested and rushed through. So yeah, I absolutely understand the parents being p'd off!

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

(And yes I'm aware of the cervical cancer vaccine- very exceptional case)

Well that's a vaccine against HPV, which can lead to cervical cancer not a vaccine against the cancer itself

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Nice red herring you threw in there. I can guarantee that this was an administrative error, and that the child was immunised with the rest of her class, where permission should have been sought but wasn't for whatever reason - probably carelessness. I doubt the child was forced kicking and screaming and strapped to a chair to have the injection administered. It was a simple mistake.

No harm was actually done.
    People sue all the time for simple mistakes and carelessness, and often the perceived harm is purely from the litigants view and everyone else rolls their eyes. Anyway, a view was reached and a settlement issued, so in the courts eyes a harm was done. Take it up with the Judge.

I assume you mean the Quad vaccine, and by your misnaming it I can safely make assumptions on how well informed you are about it. The vaccine is one of the greatest triumphs of all modern science, let alone just healthcare. Now of course we have conspiracy theorists, cranks and assorted nutjobs questioning their benefit and talking up non-existent or extremely rare complications. The benefit derived from vaccination far far outweighs the risks.

Ouch! What brought that on? I am merely saying, that I wouldn't dismiss outright any anti *Quad* vaccine research as the work of chemtrail gawkers or tinfoil hatters. Not any more. I have garnered more of an open minded outlook in recent years. Is that ok?

How did I misname it btw, by calling it a "vaccine"?
    As for drinking bottled water, I suppose you're not worried about chemicals from the plastic leaching into the water given your concern about fluoride?

A minor concern, given that firstly, it's not in there long enough to be contaminated by what is effectively a non biodegradable container, and secondly, the tap water has to contend with treatment tanks, lead, wavin and qualpex piping, before it ever gets to the copper in my house-which represents far greater risk of chemical contamination, surely?

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with the quality of the water I use, but may other EU countries seem to manage quite nicely without flouridation, less incidences of cancer, for one thing...

• Advertisement

Ouch! What brought that on? I am merely saying, that I wouldn't dismiss outright any anti *Quad* vaccine research as the work of chemtrail gawkers or tinfoil hatters. Not any more. I have garnered more of an open minded outlook in recent years. Is that ok?

How did I misname it btw, by calling it a "vaccine"?

A minor concern, given that firstly, it's not in there long enough to be contaminated by what is effectively a non biodegradable container, and secondly, the tap water has to contend with treatment tanks, lead, wavin and qualpex piping, before it ever gets to the copper in my house-which represents far greater risk of chemical contamination, surely?

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with the quality of the water I use, but may other EU countries seem to manage quite nicely without flouridation, less incidences of cancer, for one thing...
    Yeah, that used to bother me, until I found out they also dump thousands of tonnes of aluminium sulphate into the water as well. That bother me even more. I'm very wary whenever a big business/govt is doing somthing "for my own good". I'll be the judge of that, ta very much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Oh yay!

A chance to finally don this awesome new tinfoil hat of mine!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭noxqs

Oh the anti-vaccine brigade.

Usually the same kind of uneducated baboons who would sooner trust a homeopath over evidence based medicine.

Not vaccinating has led to a sharp increase in the UK in diseases among children which were virtually unheard of before because.. vaccinations. This has lead to death and disability.

You are a disgrace to humanity.

noxqs wrote: »

Usually the same kind of uneducated baboons who would sooner trust a homeopath over evidence based medicine.

Not vaccinating has led to a sharp increase in the UK in diseases among children which were virtually unheard of before because.. vaccinations. This has lead to death and disability.

Why thank you. I was never too fond of being a member tbh. Maybe I'll get to join a less rotten club now.

Well that's a vaccine against HPV, which can lead to cervical cancer not a vaccine against the cancer itself

Yep, but aside from the oncogenesis risk there's not much reason to bother vaccinating against HPV so for all intents and purposes, it is a vaccine against one form of cancer, which can admittedly arise in several other tissues apart from the cervix. And also against warts- which I don't think anyone would release a vaccine for alone.

Anyway point is, aside from HPV, talking about vaccinations against cancer shows a fairly serious ignorance about vaccines.

I should say, I reckon it is pretty dangerous to dismiss safety concerns about vaccines merely because of the rabid anti-vax lobby and the likes of Shinaynay who will speak up for them without actually bothering to fact check. In principle, vaccines are as vulnerable to serious unintended effects as any other therapy. The flu vaccines are at higher risk in that regard because of the shorter development cycle. Doesn't mean they're unsafe, but it's not sensible to be dogmatic either, especially when the companies making them have demonstrated many times that they're untrustworthy.

Homeopathy is also a load of bollocks. Time for a new theory, I guess?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

I would blame the sharp rise of recent diseases on the unhealthy diets of that today children are on compared to children of past generations.

When we were growing up we didn't have toxic chemicals pumped into our chicken and meat to enhance its appearance and there was no such thing as genetically modified poisoning in our plant products.

God help the kids of the future,

According to your philosophy the kids of the future should be fine because what ever damage is done by today's toxic food products can be balanced out by inducing "correcting" chemicals in the form of vaccines. .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

if anyone touched my son without my permission i would go through them for a short cut

I would blame the sharp rise of recent diseases on the unhealthy diets of that today children are on compared to children of past generations.

When we were growing up we didn't have toxic chemicals pumped into our chicken and meat to enhance its appearance and there was no such thing as genetically modified poisoning in our plant products.

God help the kids of the future,

According to your philosophy the kids of the future should be fine because what ever damage is done by today's toxic food products can be balanced out by inducing "correcting" chemicals in the form of vaccines. .

So... the sharp rise in measles infections is more likely to be due to diet than the decline in measles vaccinations. Okay. You've been huffing paint, yes?

if anyone touched my son without my permission i would go through them for a short cut

And context, that's irrelevant right? Watch out, we got a badass over here.

• Advertisement
Advertisement