Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Schoolgirl gets €4,000 for unauthorised swine flu jab.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

Shinaynay wrote: »
    wouldnt go near them jabs!! how can they come up with jabs for bird flu etc in a matter of days but not aids or cancer afyer decades? its fishy & i wouldnt go near them
    Cancer are humans/other creatures confused Cells that don't kill themselves when they should but instead replicate in an un-wanting manner. Whereas the flu is an infectious virus that attacks/infiltrates cells.

Diseases have world-sized differences in how they work on the cellular level so I would read up a little on it before getting the tinfoil hat!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭girl2

No offence, but in my opinion - €4000 is an insult as compensation. If someone took a child of mine and injected them with anything……I wouldn't be settling for €4000. Not by a long shot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

And context, that's irrelevant right? Watch out, we got a badass over here.

would you like your child coming home from school and telling you someone stuck a needle in their arm?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

So... the sharp rise in measles infections is more likely to be due to diet than the decline in measles vaccinations. Okay. You've been huffing paint, yes?

I never said I was totally against vaccines, there are some that have been tried and tested for decades and I would have no problem taking them under my GP's advice.

Its the ones like the recent H1N1 vaccines that were rushed through and almost forced upon us indiscriminately with scaremongering media hype that I would have serious issues with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

Pottler wrote: »
    People sue all the time for simple mistakes and carelessness, and often the perceived harm is purely from the litigants view and everyone else rolls their eyes. Anyway, a view was reached and a settlement issued, so in the courts eyes a harm was done. Take it up with the Judge.

A settlement was reached before the court took a view. The defendants thought that by offering €4k they would save money on legal and other costs.

Reading the litany of charges against the defendant one wonders why a criminal case wasn't brought... :rolleyes:

Jaysus, where's Dara when we need him?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭jluv

if anyone touched my son without my permission i would go through them for a short cut
    I agree with this.If you want or need to do/administer anything to my child,you absolutly 100% need to come through me first.I have the most knowledge regarding my child and the most responsibility in the welfare of my child so I must be consulted/informed first. Had that jab had a negative effect on the child then who would be left with the guilt and the care? Doctors have been very wrong before..personal experience.

I never said I was totally against vaccines, there are some that have been tried and tested for decades and I would have no problem taking them under my GP's advice.

Its the ones like the recent H1N1 vaccines that were rushed through and almost forced upon us indiscriminately with scaremongering media hype that I would have serious issues with.

The army weren't sent out to pick people at random, strap them to a gurney and pump them full of vaccine.

If there is anyone scaremongering its you.

And context, that's irrelevant right? Watch out, we got a badass over here.
    Noone should administer any meds to your child without your permission.Fact..

• Advertisement

jluv wrote: »
    Noone should administer any meds to your child without your permission.Fact..

In all circumstances?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

injection or not, there was no consent given for the treatment. every court will view that as assault.
    flu jabs, by the nature of the virus, can't be tested over an extended time period. it's why there's adverts every year advising the elderly to get the flu jab. it's slightly different every year as the virus changes. it's just impossible to do the normal trials that you get with most other vaccines.

In all circumstances?
    Yes..

In all circumstances?

in community cases, yes. in hospital settings, can be tricky. you hear every now and again where doctors have to go to the courts to get permission to go over the parents heads to provide treatment. last time i heard it, it involved jehovah's witnesses and blood transfusions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

In all circumstances?

yes of course. at each of my sons immunisations i pissed off the doctor besause i was asking so many questions about the injection, but as his parent i have a right to know what is being done

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

The same people who scaremonger the H1N1 jab as bad are the same people who scaremonger the MMR jab as being bad.

So are we allowed to laugh at people who get measles? The children, that is. Unaware that they didn't get the jab, who only find out when they're struck down by it when they get to college...

• Advertisement

jluv wrote: »
    Yes..

Surely there are instances where emergency treatment may be required and the parent or guardian is not present. Are you really saying that the medic should wait?

yes of course. at each of my sons immunisations i pissed off the doctor besause i was asking so many questions about the injection, but as his parent i have a right to know what is being done

Doctors get annoyed because they're getting asked questions that someone has already researched on WebMD. Some see this as an affront to their judgement.

Sometimes you just have to trust the professional you turn to. Although I'm not a doctor or medic, I don't like when I'm interrogated by a layman with a bee in his bonnet attempting to catch me out. Either accept the professional opinion or seek someone elses.

Surely there are instances where emergency treatment may be required and the parent or guardian is not present. Are you really saying that the medic should wait?
    Outside of lifethreatening emergency of course..I think we can all agree that would be different..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

What if the doctor was a member of the NWO?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 star_light

A great move by her parents who fought this case of unnecessary torture and humiliation against their daughter. It should be a lesson to us all that we should have the right to choose should we or our kids want to receive jabs or not.

"A six year old child given a flu vaccine at school without her parents’ consent has been awarded €4,000 damages.

In the Circuit Civil Court, Judge Matthew Deery was told Niamh Fleming had been taken from her classroom in a Dublin city centre school, St Laurence O’Toole National, and inoculated against the H1N1virus.

Mr Crean said the defendants had offered a figure of €4,000 in settlement to the claim for assault, battery, false imprisonment and trespass to Niamh’s person and he was recommending acceptance of it".

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/courts/schoolgirl-gets-4000-for-flu-jab-given-without-parents-consent-3254826.html

Rightly so. I feel people are pushed in to getting vaccines and I wonder about the make up of them. I feel we might not see the implications of some of the side effects for years to come

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

Ah now, that's all a bit dramatic:
    On February 15 both defendants had removed Niamh from her class, brought her to another room and administered the vaccine by way of intramuscular injection.

In a Civil Bill claiming damages on her daughter’s behalf, Ms Fleming alleged that representatives of both defendants had “falsely imprisoned, assaulted and battered” Niamh who had suffered personal injuries.

That makes it sound like two masked people came into the classroom, grabbed one child alone and dragged her kicking and screaming into some sort of torture chamber. I imagine that what really happened was that a large proportion of the class was getting the vaccination and that girl got included in that group by mistake - queued up in whatever room the vaccines were being administered in and the doctor/nurse made the mistake of assuming that because she was in the group, that she had consent for it.

Obviously, it's completely wrong that she got the vaccine without consent - and if it was me I'd be furious - but "false imprisonment, assault and battery"?! Really?! Medical misconduct, maybe, but no more (unless she really was dragged away to a torture chamber).

And re that vaccine - I'm normally pro-vaccination, but I didn't trust that one at all. It was rushed through, not properly tested and had equal amounts of qualified doctors against it as for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,210 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I work in a hospital, nurses, microbiologists, doctors, and consultants, chose not to get those injections because of their unknown effects. I wouldn't call most of them idiots.

Studies have suggested that there is a potential link between the H1N1 vaccine and narcolepsy in children.
    Plenty of other vaccines have been correlated to increases in child autism as well.

Not voodoo science.

Work wants to offer me free flu shots. **** that ****. Once you take one of those shots you pretty much require a new shot every year to avoid the flu. Why the **** do I want to vaccinate against something I've never caught anyway?

Overheal wrote: »
    Plenty of other vaccines have been correlated to increases in child autism as well.

Not voodoo science.

Work wants to offer me free flu shots. **** that ****. Once you take one of those shots you pretty much require a new shot every year to avoid the flu. Why the **** do I want to vaccinate against something I've never caught anyway?

no you don't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Although I'm not a doctor or medic, I don't like when I'm interrogated by a layman with a bee in his bonnet attempting to catch me out..

What are you that differentiates you from your definition of a layman out of interest ?

gctest50 wrote: »
    What are you that differentiates you from your definition of a layman out of interest ?

Anyone who has not studied or worked in any way in my field.

But that can't be true......

....otherwise you'd have listed them, surely? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭M three

happened to be in a primary school when kids were being lined up for swine flu jabs.
    Apparently it was happening in most schools.
    There had been no talk of mass vaccinations of school kids in the papers or on tv.
    Couldnt believe it at the time.

dept of education and the HSE were pretty quick buying tonnes of vaccines to protect against something that was drummed up by a few big pharmaceutical companies to boost profits.
    And of course our crowd fell for it straight away.

How much did the gob****es waste this on that pointless stunt?

Not voodoo science.

http://cid.oxfordjournals.org/content/48/4/456.full It is voodoo science, Debunked for you. Autism is more thought to be genetic rather than influenced by environmental factors.

The reason people get vaccinated against diseases they have never caught is because they don't want to catch them. I would have thought that was fairly obvious. You require the flu shot every year because its a different strain of flu that becomes prevalent every year (funny thing evolution).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭ceegee

star_light wrote: »
    A great move by her parents who fought this case of unnecessary torture and humiliation against their daughter. It should be a lesson to us all that we should have the right to choose should we or our kids want to receive jabs or not.

"A six year old child given a flu vaccine at school without her parents’ consent has been awarded €4,000 damages.

In the Circuit Civil Court, Judge Matthew Deery was told Niamh Fleming had been taken from her classroom in a Dublin city centre school, St Laurence O’Toole National, and inoculated against the H1N1virus.

Mr Crean said the defendants had offered a figure of €4,000 in settlement to the claim for assault, battery, false imprisonment and trespass to Niamh’s person and he was recommending acceptance of it".

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/courts/schoolgirl-gets-4000-for-flu-jab-given-without-parents-consent-3254826.html

Rightly so. I feel people are pushed in to getting vaccines and I wonder about the make up of them. I feel we might not see the implications of some of the side effects for years to come

Wow you've a feeling that side effects will present at some time in the future. That's proof enough for me. Screw this "evidence" mumbo jumbo, I'm basing my medical decisions on someones gut instinct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

I'm all for public health and believe vaccinations have been one of humanity's finest achievements.

That said, I decided not to get the swine flu injection. I prefer to go with evidenced based medicine rather than 'hunch' based medicine.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

CruelCoin wrote: »
    Oh yay!

A chance to finally don this awesome new tinfoil hat of mine!
    You fool !

That's what they want you to do :eek:

http://berkeley.intel-research.net/arahimi/helmet/
    The helmets amplify frequency bands that coincide with those allocated to the US government between 1.2 Ghz and 1.4 Ghz. According to the FCC, These bands are supposedly reserved for ''radio location'' (ie, GPS), and other communications with satellites (see, for example, [3]). The 2.6 Ghz band coincides with mobile phone technology. Though not affiliated by government, these bands are at the hands of multinational corporations.

It requires no stretch of the imagination to conclude that the current helmet craze is likely to have been propagated by the Government, possibly with the involvement of the FCC. We hope this report will encourage the paranoid community to develop improved helmet designs to avoid falling prey to these shortcomings.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I'm all for public health and believe vaccinations have been one of humanity's finest achievements.
    Polio still exists in Afghanistan, Chad, Nigeria and Pakistan :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Polio still exists in Afghanistan, Chad, Nigeria and Pakistan :(

Where there have not been widespread vaccinations....

In countries where the vaccine was widespread the disease has become virtually extinct.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭fupduck

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_D4BkW-S-NM

This argument isn't new. At the last outbreak of swine flu, I showed this to my teenagers, (they were of the age to give their own consent).
    I am not against vaccinations per-se , but would me a lot more concerned about rushed mass vaccination programmes than I would be about the effects of the flu virus on two fine , strong and healthy teenagers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Peanut

How... how would you vaccinate against cancer? It's not a virus. It's not even a singular disease.
    (And yes I'm aware of the cervical cancer vaccine- very exceptional case)

Actually more than likely not as exceptional a contributing factor as once believed:
    Infections with certain viruses, bacteria, and parasites have been identified as strong risk factors for specific cancers. An update of their respective contribution to the global burden of cancer is warranted.
    Of the 12·7 million new cancer cases that occurred in 2008, the population attributable fraction (PAF) for infectious agents was 16·1%, meaning that around 2 million new cancer cases were attributable to infections.

Global burden of cancers attributable to infections in 2008: a review and synthetic analysis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,998 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

A rate of %0.000522.

0.0159% is the defined rate of narcolepsy in the US population at the moment through all combined ages. Figure based on a figure of just under 50,000 diagnosed sufferers as a percentage of the US population (Est 314,550,955).

Japan is about 0.14%, they seem to have a genetic disposition to it.

Since at least 50% of the vaccine groups are in the high risk category for symptom development(older generations), I wonder how this crap was even published.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

What if the doctor was a member of the NWO?

I don't think Dr. Dre is actually a physician.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

I've gone from someone who thought those who opposed water flouridation were daft, a year ago, to drinking bottled water exclusively.

Not because I think the Man is using it to keep us docile, but because there are proven health implications.

Which is the sensible way to approach something like this.
    Well, except for the small, tiny, almost inconsequential hiccup that the that there aren't proven health implications.
    Pottler wrote: »
    I'm very wary whenever a big business/govt is doing somthing "for my own good". I'll be the judge of that, ta very much.

Which is nice, but people are notoriously awful at judging risk.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Studies have suggested that there is a potential link between the H1N1 vaccine and narcolepsy in children.

Don't be ridiculous, I got the H1N1 vaccine and I turned out fi-ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭UglyBolloxFace

I work in a hospital, nurses, microbiologists, doctors, and consultants, chose not to get those injections because of their unknown effects. I wouldn't call most of them idiots.

Link to academic, peer-reviewed article/study please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭UglyBolloxFace

brummytom wrote: »
    I work in a hospital, the doctors I've spoken to would call them idiots. As members of staff, we're heavily encouraged to get vaccinations. They do far more good than harm.

Studies suggested a potential link between MMR jabs and autism. Those studies were bollocks.

You work in a hospital? Are you not 15?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Quite shocked by the number of people in this thread actually defending forced medication.
    Jesus, if people are accepting of this the implications for society are horrifying. Do we want to end up like America where energetic children are diagnosed with some kind of mental "disorder" for not wanting to sit still for 8 hours and introduced to stimulants and anti-psychotics?

Medication should always, always be a choice made by the individual or those responsible for caring for the individual. No one else.

EDIT: I support the figure of €4,000, by the way. Not because the parents or the child need it, but because it will act as a deterrent "fine" of sorts and hopefully scare the absolute sh!te out of any school which considers doing anything like this in future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

You work in a hospital? Are you not 15?

Hell, he's already had his first heart attack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,827 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Medication should always, always be a choice made by the individual or those responsible for caring for the individual. No one else.
    So no blood transfusions for Jehovah's Witness' children?

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Advertisement

I'm quite surprised that a school took a chance like this....

28064212 wrote: »
    So no blood transfusions for Jehovah's Witness' children?

I said "medication".
    Perhaps I should qualify it by saying "No non urgent, essential medical treatment".

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭BrendaN_f

Not voodoo science.

joke, right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

would you like your child coming home from school and telling you someone stuck a needle in their arm?

That's what "touching" means? Be clearer. You'd go through someone if they stuck a needle in your kid's arm.

To answer your question, it would depend on the context. The sticking with a needle is a non issue as long as that needle is attached to a syringe containing a vaccine. Permission is needed, sure, but I wouldn't react with the defensive paternal ire that some people display here if an administrative error had been made. Plus, I would have given permission from the start anyway.

That's what "touching" means? Be clearer. You'd go through someone if they stuck a needle in your kid's arm.

To answer your question, it would depend on the context. The sticking with a needle is a non issue as long as that needle is attached to a syringe containing a vaccine. Permission is needed, sure, but I wouldn't react with the defensive paternal ire that some people display here if an administrative error had been made. Plus, I would have given permission from the start anyway.

So you're saying you wouldn't be angry if your child was medicated against your wishes, when you had expressly stated that you didn't want it to happen?

• Advertisement
Advertisement