Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

17 month old Christmas present ideas

Options
  • 09-10-2012 9:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

Hi all.
    Have a little boy who will be 17 months, nearly 18 when Christmas comes around.
    Hard to come up with ideas for presents for him.
    He's a real outdoorsy lad, always wants to be outside, rain, hail or shine.

Was thinking maybe one of those cars they sit into and move with their feet?
    Anyone else have any other suggestions?
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

mj_mam wrote: »
    Hi all.
    Have a little boy who will be 17 months, nearly 18 when Christmas comes around.
    Hard to come up with ideas for presents for him.
    He's a real outdoorsy lad, always wants to be outside, rain, hail or shine.

Was thinking maybe one of those cars they sit into and move with their feet?
    Anyone else have any other suggestions?
    Thanks

Depending on how fast he grows, how long will he get out of a car.
    At that age, they don't understand the idea of christmas and presents so keep it simple.
    My son is 2 and we just got him a few car toys in argos to replace some of the younger toys he has.He's big into cars(or is it just car keys) With the concentration span of a goldfish they don't spend long with anything :D

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭mj_mam

Oh I completely agree about keeping it simple.
    Last year everyone else was more excited about his first Christmas than I was.
    I can't wait until he understands what it's all about.

I'm only thinking of the car as it is something for outside.

He has plenty of Teddies, talking teddies, blocks, books, musical instruments and all sorts for indoors, but
    might only take them all out of the toy box, look at them for 5 seconds each and that's it.
    I don't want to add to this pile of toys.

Might just go take a stroll around a few toy shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

bubble car is a great gift, my 5year old still loves his (but he is a bit big for it now)

also think the 3in one trikes are great as they grow with the child
    http://www.littletikes.com/kids-toys/little-tikes-3-in-1-trike

the out door tractors last yrs too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

We get a lot of use out of the 3 in one trike.
    Those bubble cars are not great for outside. My friend has one which we play with when we visit. The wheels are very small, they get stuck in grass, on pebbles, etc. i think they are for indoors.

If he has been walking for over six months, i think you can try a balance bike? There are some for 18 month olds, I've seen them in Germany, not sure if they are here. He might be a bit small though.

Best toys we have for outside is a football for winter, and a paddling poor for summer.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

my 20 month old loves her Scuttlebug .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Agree with simple too.

My little one was about 15 months last year at x-mas time, we got her the 3 in 1 trike she still loves it.

But she goes nuts for duplo. She got a present of megabrix but still loves duplo best.

Also she loved her little wodden jigsaw and her books. Its only since she was 17 months that she has become obsessed with being read to.

The balance bike looks great for outside as you'd only need a little space.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭ariana`

Duplo is a brilliant investment. We got it when my boy was that age, a year later he still plays with it nearly every day in many different ways as well as building - for example he loads his trailor with it and feeds it to his cows as grass! Its great for developing his imagination.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

http://www.toys.ie/G00200-!102538-prd.aspx

I have never seen a child who didn't love it.

Son has had one for the last six months and loves it. He's almost 2 now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭ariana`

A2LUE42 wrote: »
    http://www.toys.ie/G00200-!102538-prd.aspx

I have never seen a child who didn't love it.

Son has had one for the last six months and loves it. He's almost 2 now.

I have to 2nd this. We don't have it at home but the kids in the creche fight over it there! My 2.5yrs old still loves it, if he is in any way complaining about going to creche i just have to mention the "red car" and he's gone ;)

The 3-in-1 trike that others mention is also great - we got it at 10mths and he still uses it - indoors & outdoors.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭mj_mam

Thanks for all suggestions! Going to go with bubble car as intended and a few tractors n farm toys for indoors. We bought him a 3 in 1 trike for his birthday, back in July.
    He'll have loads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

mj_mam wrote: »
    Thanks for all suggestions! Going to go with bubble car as intended and a few tractors n farm toys for indoors. We bought him a 3 in 1 trike for his birthday, back in July.
    He'll have loads.

Just a word of warning on the Little Tikes car. You will need a hammer and an electric/battery screwdriver to assemble. It is quite easy to assemble, but need the hammer to tap on the caps that hold the four wheels and an electric screwdriver to put in 4(I think) screws. It goes together in a few minutes.

Don't want you finding out that you need them late on Christmas eve...

Advertisement