Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question on Proxys / LAN Settings - Win 7

Options
  • 09-10-2012 9:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I was messing around with some SEO software yesterday, and they suggested I do the following: (which doesn't really mean much in relation to my query, I hope)

Preferences-> Search Safety Settings->Proxy rotation (Please use the alive and quick responding proxies located in the country you are interested in

So, I went off and tried out settings using alive proxies and unchecked the proxies for other countries. After a while I undid the work I did, as since I did this, connecting to most websites, such as boards, times out, or the site won't load. This has only happened since I was messing around with the SEO software settings.

So, I am thinking how can I "reset" the LAN settings. I went and checked these by going through the system settings and through the browser settings, and the proxy options are unchecked "No proxy" for Firefox. and nothing is checked going through the Google Chrome settings. I am convinced it's down to my messing around with the SEO software (link assistant).

I haven't tried the IT Crowd solution of turning it off and on again, which I will do now...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭druidhill

This is one of those things I would use System Restore for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

It's worth a shot I suppose........

No joy. The PC performs as normal. The only thing that is very slow to load is the net, and it is ever since I started to dick around with the software and the proxy settings. At the moment, via Firefox, I have "no proxy" selected in the LAN settings, so not sure what to do other than that........... ??

So the system is restored back to it's previous state (with the software fully removed), and the problem still persists. Is this correct?

No. I just restored to a few days ago. I didn't fully remove the software, which I should do.
    The problem still persists. I have been watching tv online lately from streaming sites (could it be a virus), but haven't had any problems up until I messed with the software, hence me putting it down to messing with proxy settings.

I ran a virus check using a free anti virus package, and nothing shows up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭swampgas

Try booting the PC with a Linux Live CD and see if you can browse normally - that will prove whether the problem is inside or outside your PC. If it is the PC, and as you don't really know how to fix it, I'd be inclined to play safe, wipe it and re-install from scratch.

swampgas wrote: »
    I'd be inclined to play safe, wipe it and re-install from scratch.

That's a bit over the top at the moment.

@OP - If you suspect something like a virus, make sure you run a scan for all malware (not just ant-virus).

In my experience, if a problem occurs once you make changes to your system, it is usually the change that is causing it. Get it back to a known working state (pre-software install) as soon as possible, and see if the problem still persists. Once you have that (hopefully working correctly), you can then try to get the SEO software back up and running on your system.

Advertisement