Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CCTV

Options
  • 09-10-2012 9:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

A few houses on my street are thinking of erecting CCTV in order to help us with the ongoing problem of having our cars/windows/doors/you name it kicked with footballs, destroyed with stones, etc. We're at the end of our tether. Is it illegal to set up CCTV pointing out onto the road outside private property? There's no point in us just having it pointing into our gardens as this isn't where the incidents are happening from. Thanks to anyone who can help or point me in the right direct.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Thunderbird2

Once it's not pointing into anyone else's property it should be fine as it would be a public place

• Registered Users Posts: 36 rossie08

Not true, if its pointing onto the street and you are recording the image you have to have planning permission plus highly visible signs indicating cctv. you can have it pointing into neighbours gardens once you have their written permission.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Virtually every commercial CCTV system has cameras facing onto public roads and areas. Never had any jobs applying for planning permission.

Yes the majority of CCTV out there is pointing to public areas and don't have planning permission. This however is against the planning guidelines and can lead to problems. Wherever you capture images of the public and store them you are governed by the bylaws of the relevant council and all require you to have planning permission. If you don't believe me ring Dublin city council. Also if you don't have the correct planning and notices posted the evidence gathered cannot be used as evidence in a court case.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

I have had tons of images used in court & have never come across this.
    So are you basically saying if someone commits a crime & they are caught on a covert camera or on a camera that they haven't be warned about in a prominent sign, then that evidence is useless???
    If this defense was anyway usable ever solicitor & barrister would be getting scumbags off every day of the week on this technicality. You may well be right but its certainly not enforced & is virtually unpoliceable. So suppose I'm walking down the road recording on a hand held camera , should that have planning permission.?
    Has all of DCC cameras a sign saying the areas they are covering?
    Has ever shop with an external camera got similar?
    What about cover cameras? Are they not usable either??

• Advertisement

Again these are the regulations. If a solicitor doesn't know them and doesn't object then it makes no odds but if they do these are the regulations.

I find it unbelievable the not one good solicitor or barrister is aware of such a massive loophole .:confused:
    I find it equally unbelievable that no guard has ever challenged anyone on this AFAIK.
    I also find it unbelievable that DCC or any other body is not out removing all these illegal installations for not having proper planning permission. Normally they are very quick to act upon breaches of planning permission.
    Anyway , like I said you may very well be right. There are some crazy laws in Ireland. Take a look here for some examples.
    Thank God, for the normal thinking people, common sense prevails.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement