Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

50 pups found in cars.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Bloody hell :eek:

When they say black market what do they mean? Puppy farm trade? Basically anything nefarious.

Needless to say these poor babies have had a seriously rough start to life, my guess would be they themselves came from a puppy farm situation. Treated as mere money making opportunities, they are now in better hands thank god.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭pawrick

My mother saw springer pups for sale at a market in Leitrim a few weeks back - god knows where the pups came from

Christmas is coming...

my guess is a suspended sentence and a small fine - nothing to hit their pockets too hard and put them off doing it again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

I could'nt write anything further when posting that as my blood was boiling!
    It was on the radio news as well.
    Thank God the wee pups are now rescued and will be homed in a way they can live their lives in happiness.

As regards the scumbags who were caught, I'd prefer if they were made pay a heavy fine to the SPCA AND do 12 months supervised, unpaid work with the same organisation.

(What I'd really like to do with them can't be posted here!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Inexile

Good work by the DSPCA. But what I dont understand is if Ireland is the puppy farming capital of Europe why did anyone need to import dogs.

p.s that black cocker is sooo cute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

that's just sickening. poor dogs. i know what I'd do. id put those two **** in the boot of a car and drive to Russia and back see if they like it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

One of the many really really sad and upsetting things about this situation is that there is STILL a market out there, people STILL aren't getting the message about doing your research when buying a pedigree dog or going to a rescue because of the overpopulation.

The whole just doesn't even shock me any more. I hope to f*** the judge makes an example of them....but realistically I wouldn't be betting my last bonio on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Tranceypoo wrote: »
    people STILL aren't getting the message about doing your research when buying a pedigree dog or going to a rescue because of the overpopulation.
    This is what drives me crazy. Are people honestly that ignorant that they have avoided the ENDLESS media advice and warnings about "puppy farming", its all over facebook, articles in papers and documentaries on TV. Even if you aren't a follower of animal related issues you cant fail to not see one of these at some stage. Its truly baffling :confused::(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Sadly I don't think a lot of people take the slightest notice of the warnings of puppy farming. As another poster said, Christmas is coming. They'll get the pups to keep the child happy on Christmas day then it'll be out running the street by the end of the week when nobody can be bothered to take care of it.

I passed by 2 lovely little Jack Russells in my neighbourhood this morning. They belong to a family who moved into the area a month or so ago. They are the most adorable little dogs and the larger one seems to guard the smaller one. Both are out on the street 24 hours a day and spend a lot of their time sitting on a neighbours doormat.

The owners can't even be bothered to feed them indoors. When I passed the house the other day, the food bowl was put outside a locked gate, on a public footpath for ffs. I petted them both today and they were standing on each other wanting to be picked up and fussed over. I really don't know why these people have animals:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ms Tootsie

I passed by 2 lovely little Jack Russells in my neighbourhood this morning. They belong to a family who moved into the area a month or so ago. They are the most adorable little dogs and the larger one seems to guard the smaller one. Both are out on the street 24 hours a day and spend a lot of their time sitting on a neighbours doormat.

The owners can't even be bothered to feed them indoors. When I passed the house the other day, the food bowl was put outside a locked gate, on a public footpath for ffs. I petted them both today and they were standing on each other wanting to be picked up and fussed over. I really don't know why these people have animals:mad:

It's families like these and those that don't seem to understand 'a dog is for life not just for Christmas' that I really can't abide. I don't blame the children in these instances, they can't help but want a puppy but the parents should know that when getting a dog for a family, be it for Christmas, birthdays or whatever, that they should lead the children by example and involve them in the day to day care of the animal. These children will then grow up fully understanding the work and responsibility involved in owning a dog and should they wish in turn to get a dog for their children they will not do so lightly without serious thought.

God only knows what crap conditions these 50 little guys had to endure to be brought into the country. If the arrived in cars no doubt that would have meant being stowed away in horrible unclean and cramped conditions. At least the DSPCA has stepped in and will ensure they are rehomed to safe and loving homes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭mosi

Inexile wrote: »
    Good work by the DSPCA. But what I dont understand is if Ireland is the puppy farming capital of Europe why did anyone need to import dogs.

p.s that black cocker is sooo cute.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2012/1010/breaking29.html

This seems to clarify that the pups were destined for the UK from puppy farms here.

• Advertisement

I always believe that children and pets should be reared together. The children grow up respecting animals because they were they're best friends in childhood and as a consequence have more respect for humans.
    Saddens me when people tell their kids to keep away from dogs, cats etc. as they may be dirty!
    I shared lollipops and ice creams with dogs when I was a kid and did'nt die as a result!
    Education is the key, for parents as well as kids.

mosi wrote: »

This seems to clarify that the pups were destined for the UK from puppy farms here.
    And lord knows where else further afield.
    Well done the DSPCA. The wee guys hardship may have only been beginning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

Tranceypoo wrote: »
    One of the many really really sad and upsetting things about this situation is that there is STILL a market out there, people STILL aren't getting the message about doing your research when buying a pedigree dog or going to a rescue because of the overpopulation.

The whole just doesn't even shock me any more. I hope to f*** the judge makes an example of them....but realistically I wouldn't be betting my last bonio on it.

There is also the issue that when people show up to a "breeder"'s and it turns out to be a puppy farm, they put money in the puppy farmer's pocket by buying the puppy and say they are "saving" it, rather than report it to the ISPCA. Hence the puppy farmer gets a sale and profit to continue what they're doing, and the cycle continues.
    The fastest way to stop puppy farms is to stop giving them money to continue what they are doing.

mosi wrote: »

Thanks for the clarification - now the story makes more sense.

Whats really bad is that the DSPCA cant rehome them until after legal work has been finalised which could take ages. The DSPCA's already limited resources will be further stretched and the pups will be that much older before they can be offered up. Also the older dogs in the shelter already will probably be overlook as adopters will be bamboozled with the cute pups. Sad all round. Lets hope those responsible will receive a decent punishment.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭lisa_celtic

red sean wrote: »
    http://www.thejournal.ie/puppies-rescued-dublin-dspca-629007-Oct2012/

Lets hope the Judge makes a serious example of these cruel b****rds.

I cried, not only were they not looked after but to have there claws removed and tail chopped is discusting!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Tail docking is common in Cockers, dont ask me why but having dew claws removed has to lead to a cruelty case.
    I hope most/all of them make it into homes. I have one for almost 13 years and they are great Dogs, so loyal and friendly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4 Jefferson9115

Poor things. Best have them all put down as soon as possible

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭lisa_celtic

After reading this I had to go check my puppy's dew claws as its not something I would of ever looked at he still has them and his long tail so happy he hadn't been mutilated before we got him as he had gone from his mother to a new family and then us

What ??? Why???

Are you serious or just stirring things up?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

What ??? Why???

Are you serious or just stirring things up?

Please note that Jefferson9115 has been sitebanned. This troll need be fed no more.
    Thanks,
    DBB

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

A lot of breeds have rear dew claws removed, as they can catch them on things and cause themselves serious injury. Don't know if its front and/or rear removed with these pups, but if done humanely, its not such a bad thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

I doubt it would have been done humanely considering the conditions they were found in :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Whats really bad is that the DSPCA cant rehome them until after legal work has been finalised which could take ages. The DSPCA's already limited resources will be further stretched and the pups will be that much older before they can be offered up. Also the older dogs in the shelter already will probably be overlook as adopters will be bamboozled with the cute pups. Sad all round. Lets hope those responsible will receive a decent punishment.
    Some of them are too small to be rehomed so they will have to go to foster care first I imagine. Thats just an unfortunate reality that older dogs will be overlooked but hopefully things will work out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭mosi

From ther Herald today
    http://www.herald.ie/news/which-one-do-you-want-the-36-pedigree-pups-seized-by-gardai-could-be-up-for-adoption-in-days-3256671.html

Looks like they're trying to get ownership transferred fairly quickly, so that the rehoming process can begin.
    Hopefully the people behind this will get was they deserve...and hopefully the investigation will be able to trace where the pups came from, so that the breeding dogs and other pups that these scumbags have can be rescued.
    I'm also hoping that, with the huge media coverage, a few people might wake up when it comes to where pups come from.

ISDW wrote: »
    A lot of breeds have rear dew claws removed, as they can catch them on things and cause themselves serious injury. Don't know if its front and/or rear removed with these pups, but if done humanely, its not such a bad thing.

Yup my guy has torn out 3 !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

looking at the picture there of those beautiful little creatures, they look starved and also like they are full of worms, their back bones are spiking through the skin with hunger, and their little bellies are swollen with worms, sure sign of animal cruelty, they did not give a fu3k about those beautiful little things

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Sappa

The govt make stringent regulations for farmers because of EU directives but they couldn't give a Toss about Dog welfare as no one is pressurising them from the EU and they have there heads in the sand on the issue possibly because it suits them to turn the other way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,188 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

They must be working off new intelligence or something. Hope they track down the puppy farmers.

Advertisement