Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ever had an argument in a pub/bar that ended in violence?

• 09-10-2012 10:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,356 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

A few years ago, me and my two moron friends went to the pub and started discussing who were better, Queen or U2 (Queen, obviously :D).

It got heated to the point that these two started throwing punches at each other and were barred from the establishment! I don't socialize with them anymore.

It's not that they hated each other and were merely using it as an excuse to rumble, they simply became so passionate about the subject in hand that a punch-up ensued.

So boardsies, ever got into a pub debate with friends over something trivial that ended in fisticuffs?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

Naw, usually ends up in one if us calling the other a bollox followed with suggestive comments regarding their mother and that person's penis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

Me and my best friend a few times.. We just love to disagree with each other over everything and anything. We get drunk, argue, get kicked out, go back to one of our houses and argue some more, wake up and its all forgotten and if its not we just laugh it off!!

As we've got older its died down a lot but when we were younger we could empty a pub in 5 minutes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Seen two local radio hosts having fisticuffs over how to pronounce a townland on the obituaries once.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

I was in the smoking area of a pub and it was fairly crowded. So anyway this big broad shouldered guy with a crew cut shoulders me full on, pure looking to start. I wasn't looking to start anything so said calmly enough, Hey, watch it man.
    Of course it wasn't a man. So she immediately spun about and threw a punch to my head and then ran off with her friend. Angry lesbian ****.
    I have actual stories where a fight or 2 happened but nothing out of the ordinary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Me and my best friend a few times.. We just love to disagree with each other over everything and anything. We get drunk, argue, get kicked out, go back to one of our houses and argue some more, wake up and its all forgotten and if its not we just laugh it off!!

As we've got older its died down a lot but when we were younger we could empty a pub in 5 minutes!

Looking at your username I reckon Phil & Grant were to blame.:pac:

• Advertisement

including the angry make up sex?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Its Behind You!

The garda might be able to solve a few unsolved crimes with this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭nbar12

yeah got into a fight with a group of lads from around the town. We met at the ball alley after mass and flipped a coin. Heads for handball, tails for a fight. It was tails and we fought until I was the last man standing and because king of the town

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

zerks wrote: »
    Looking at your username I reckon Phil & Grant were to blame.:pac:

Hey, that's bang out of order mate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

Ever been to a pub and not got into a fight?? Yes, yes I have, at least twice-maybe three times. Which was unusual, to say the least. I've had more pub rows than Phil Mitchell - I don't go anymore, I've too many "fans".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

bluewolf wrote: »

nope not into riding 20stone, big bearded men..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭dj jarvis

i ran a bar in Germany ( Frankfurt ) , and after we closed we would go to another bar we knew was still open (5am :D ) , some of our locals would stumble along with us

sitting in this bar ,about ten of us , not a bother , no trouble just chilling out
    this bloke with a shaven head and looking pissed off wanders in and sits in a booth , then proceeds to keep bang his head off the table

we were all sitting at the bar , looking at him thinking whats his story , he gets up walks straight up to me , ( me also with a shaven head and fairly dangerous looking ) and head butts the **** out of my face :eek:

i hit the deck like a bag of spuds becasue i did not see it coming, seeing all was cool with us and the bar

i hit the floor and grabbed both his legs so he could not kick my head in
    he was grabbed by my work mates and dragged outside , with me still holding onto his legs - got out side and kicked the **** out of him , was dragged off him

a ambulance arrived and carted him off , but a load off cops arrived and burst into the bar looking to arrest me

the little old lady who ran the bar jumped in and told the cops who started it , and the cops looked at me , shrugged their shoulders and left

next morning woke to a panda look, and my jewelry was all bent :eek:
    i was questioned by the cops next day and cleared of any wrong doing , self defense

i tell ya , the flash i saw when he caught me was intense - never have i been caught like that - sucker " punches " suck

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭areyawell

My god they should make a film out of that. Bloods and Guts everywhere and what a storyline. Wait what how is arguing violence? That sounds like a lovers tiff!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

the closest ive ever gotten is an awful slagging, name calling then laughter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭Daniel S

dj jarvis wrote: »
    i ran a bar in Germany ( Frankfurt ) , and after we closed we would go to another bar we knew was still open (5am :D ) , some of our locals would stumble along with us

sitting in this bar ,about ten of us , not a bother , no trouble just chilling out
    this bloke with a shaven head and looking pissed off wanders in and sits in a booth , then proceeds to keep bang his head off the table

we were all sitting at the bar , looking at him thinking whats his story , he gets up walks straight up to me , ( me also with a shaven head and fairly dangerous looking ) and head butts the **** out of my face :eek:

i hit the deck like a bag of spuds becasue i did not see it coming, seeing all was cool with us and the bar

i hit the floor and grabbed both his legs so he could not kick my head in
    he was grabbed by my work mates and dragged outside , with me still holding onto his legs - got out side and kicked the **** out of him , was dragged off him

a ambulance arrived and carted him off , but a load off cops arrived and burst into the bar looking to arrest me

the little old lady who ran the bar jumped in and told the cops who started it , and the cops looked at me , shrugged their shoulders and left

next morning woke to a panda look, and my jewelry was all bent :eek:
    i was questioned by the cops next day and cleared of any wrong doing , self defense

i tell ya , the flash i saw when he caught me was intense - never have i been caught like that - sucker " punches " suck

:rolleyes:

areyawell wrote: »

My god they should make a film out of that. Bloods and Guts everywhere and what a storyline. Wait what how is arguing violence? That sounds like a lovers tiff!

Duh... Read the first sentence..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Mickey H

So boardsies, ever got into a pub debate with friends over something trivial that ended in fisticuffs?

Actually no, I have not been in this situation. When disagreement arises, debate (and pisstaking) ensues.

Daniel S wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

funny thing is , it was a Irish bar that was surrounded by US and British air bases , not to mention the Irish builders , trust me, the story i posted was very tame - i could post a book on it - but would get the response as i got from you

no point , but i was there and you were not , i know what happened was true

mad house - gadaffi was going to bomb the place becasue of the amount of service men in it , he decided to bomb a night club in Berlin instead , and that resulted in the US bombing Tripoli

a list was found used by the bombers - the Irish pub in Frankfurt was top ' o 'list

so trust me , it was that kind of place

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

To make a long story short :o
    About 5 years ago I got into a fight outside a bar. I got into it over my then girlfriend (cliche huh?) But it was called for. Anyways, I made a school boy mistake. I was huffing and buffing / telling people how I was going to jump on him ater the bar closed etc.

What happened next? I waited outside and as said person was leaving I grabbed him by the shirt... Suddenly get grabbed myself by his friend and get two knees to my forehead :mad: Lesson learned. Don't telegraph your intentions :((His mates left with him to back him up. which you know whats thats cool. good mates.)

Being honest... I felt like a pussy & a fool for a few days after. Should of seen that coming and what not. But what perked me up was that I later learned what happened on his side (As I knew people in his social circle)
    Upon being obvious I was going to start something with him outside, a few friends suggested they would go outside with him at closing time and instantly get him a taxi ... like bodyguards :pac: I was told seconds after I got knee'ed in the head he was gone... lol. Minutes later to text "whats going on?" :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Ever had an arguement in a pub that ended in violence?

Yep

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

To make a long story short :o
    About 5 years ago I got into a fight outside a bar. I got into it over my then girlfriend (cliche huh?) But it was called for. Anyways, I made a school boy mistake. I was huffing and buffing / telling people how I was going to jump on him ater the bar closed etc.

What happened next? I waited outside and as said person was leaving I grabbed him by the shirt... Suddenly get grabbed myself by his friend and get two knees to my forehead :mad: Lesson learned. Don't telegraph your intentions :((His mates left with him to back him up. which you know whats thats cool. good mates.)

Being honest... I felt like a pussy & a fool for a few days after. Should of seen that coming and what not. But what perked me up was that I later learned what happened on his side (As I knew people in his social circle)
    Upon being obvious I was going to start something with him outside, a few friends suggested they would go outside with him at closing time and instantly get him a taxi ... like bodyguards :pac: I was told seconds after I got knee'ed in the head he was gone... lol. Minutes later to text "whats going on?" :pac:

Not sure which part of tha perked you up tbh, he got away and you got your ass handed to you...............................ok

kryogen wrote: »
    Not sure which part of tha perked you up tbh, he got away and you got your ass handed to you...............................ok

You see, there lies the difference between you and me.

I was willing to fight because at the time it was called for and I waited for him outside. he ran away into a taxi and let his mates fight his battles. Is that not the defintion of a coward? :confused: If he stayed with his mates and dealt with me? hey, thats life sadly. But no he did not.

Seeing as how years have past I actually give credit to his mates tho. They stuck up for him. Good on them. Most wouldnt. But of course whilst he was heading home tho.

But kryogen. By posting that you have established yourself as a coward :) You'd be the guy in the taxi running home :) Why stand up for yourself whilst you can get others to? ... be away from any situation ... you sir are such a coward. Because all you read was me getting two knees to the head :) But I stood. He didnt. Now run along. Grow a sack and become a man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

Was in a pub once and a guy squared up to me because I refused to kiss him. I told him to get out of my face, he threw a punch. Adrenaline must have kicked in because I blocked the punch and floored him with a decent knee to the balls. Then I ran away, shocked at myself, while the security picked him up and kicked him out. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Mr_Roger_Bongos

But kryogen. By posting that you have established yourself as a coward :) You'd be the guy in the taxi running home :) Why stand up for yourself whilst you can get others to? ... be away from any situation ... you sir are such a coward. Because all you read was me getting two knees to the head :) But I stood. He didnt. Now run along. Grow a sack and become a man.

That's one of the most bizarre paragraphs i've ever read as a retort to a statement.

Kyrogen says "You got your ass handed to you and he got away"

How did you derive that he's a coward from stating that?

You're clutching at staws to consider 'being manly' as a positive from your story.

I have had a couple of situations outside bars myself when guys hitting on my gfs have worked out the dynamic between me and them. We are not overly touchy feeling in public so not many people cop the whole "truple" thing but on occasion they do. If, before copping it, the guys had tried hitting on one of the girls and been blown off they then see fit to target me with their wounded pride and try to take it out on me by kicking a few shades out of me.

Thankfully a combination of always being the most sober one (Drunk but rarely heavily), a lot of fitness regimes in my day to day, and some on going Brazilian JIu Jitsu training I have always come out on top in the situations where I was not able to difuse their aggression using words or simply walking away. I can only hope to be so fortunate again in such situations if more are to arise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

Is it just me or does everyone on this thread appear to be drunk out of their minds?

Deise Vu wrote: »
    Is it just me or does everyone on this thread appear to be drunk out of their minds?

at 9:45 am ?

but this being AH you could be right :eek:

why do you ask ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭D-FENS

LyndaMcL wrote: »
    Was in a pub once and a guy squared up to me because I refused to kiss him. I told him to get out of my face, he threw a punch. Adrenaline must have kicked in because I blocked the punch and floored him with a decent knee to the balls. Then I ran away, shocked at myself, while the security picked him up and kicked him out. :pac:

Seriously? f*ckin hell. I've been knocked back by a girl more than a few times in the past but I never felt the need to clatter her because of it. That's Peter Sutliffe stuff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭splendid101

I'm not sure if I would hit a girl who shot me down, because it has never happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Mr_Roger_Bongos

I'm not sure if I would hit a girl who shot me down, because it has never happened.

So it would seem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭D-FENS

Prostitutes rarely refuse and you’d really get in trouble for hitting one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Had a few waiting for Jeremy Kyle to come on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

I consider most everyone to be functionally retarded. If they are in a pub, that's doubly true. I can't be arsed to care what some retard at a pub thinks....so I don't both arguing with them.

I'm too busy getting drunk and lying to women.
    "Yes, being a neurosurgeon is hard work....but saving lives and my three beach houses make it totally worth it. Wanna have sex?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭jugger0

Yeah got in a fight because of a girl, i felt like an absolute scumbag after it.

Wise words

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

bluewolf wrote: »

Billy Mitchell is not my lover

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭asherbassad

You see, there lies the difference between you and me.

I was willing to fight because at the time it was called for and I waited for him outside. he ran away into a taxi and let his mates fight his battles. Is that not the defintion of a coward? :confused: If he stayed with his mates and dealt with me? hey, thats life sadly. But no he did not.

Seeing as how years have past I actually give credit to his mates tho. They stuck up for him. Good on them. Most wouldnt. But of course whilst he was heading home tho.

STFU

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭asherbassad

Well my chat-up line to the ladies is "fuck or fight?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭King of Kings

was at a party in pub once and two lads started rowing over who was a better guitarist rory gallagher or hendrix.

it ended ugly withbloody spilled.
    rory gallagher was the winner, in case you wondered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,274 ✭✭✭_feedback_

kryogen wrote: »
    Ever had an arguement in a pub that ended in violence?

Yep

Biggins?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Ah yes, the lesser known Fight or Flight reaction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

D-FENS wrote: »
    Seriously? f*ckin hell. I've been knocked back by a girl more than a few times in the past but I never felt the need to clatter her because of it. That's Peter Sutliffe stuff

He was completely hammered, thankfully I was sober. Nothing like that has happened since, thankfully. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Me and my cousin have had a fair few punch ups over poker games and dumb stuff like that. Still love him but hes annoying as **** when hes drunk.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭leonidas83

the amount of posts from hard men wannabes in this thread has me pissing my pants with fear & laughter both at the same time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,667 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I was scoring a girl and her boyfriend came back. Oops..

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭splendid101

I have the same line only I've never got past "f*ck o....." without finding my pants around my ankles and making the sexual intercourse with the female.

STFU

.... No :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Took a punch and got a broken nose... not a clue what it was about and neither did the fella that hit me. He says he remembers being angry as hell and thinking he was in a fight. I was gonna slaughter him the next day until his mother came round in tears when she heard what happened. Ended up dropping it and shaking hands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Got into a few fights & arguments in bars in my time, All abuse and insults magnified by to much alcohol in me,The next day trying to figure out what it was all about :-(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

ted1 wrote: »
    I was scoring a girl and her boyfriend.
    Fyp

• Advertisement
Advertisement