Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Law students please help!

Options
  • 09-10-2012 10:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭

I have a question regarding constitutional amendments.

I realize that in A46.2 amendments can only be passed by a referendum, but what if the proposed amendment were so that the government could amend the constitution with acts of parliament (ie: government orders) rather than referendums, would this be legal ?

(assuming the majority have voted in favor of the above amendment)

Also, is it legal to abolish / amend fundamental rights in the constitution ?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭anfield bound

edgal wrote: »
    I have a question regarding constitutional amendments.

I realize that in A46.2 amendments can only be passed by a referendum, but what if the proposed amendment were so that the government could amend the constitution with acts of parliament (ie: government orders) rather than referendums, would this be legal ?

(assuming the majority have voted in favor of the above amendment)

Also, is it legal to abolish / amend fundamental rights in the constitution ?

The judiciary would just invalidate it on the grounds that it would be repugnant to the constitution. There's a lot of safeguards in our constitution to avoid a repeat of the 1922 constitution disaster.
    Ammending the ammendment procedure would make a total farce out of the entire constitution and, historically, has been a precursor to tyranny.

Advertisement