Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ring of Kerry 2013

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭LeftBlank

Soarer wrote: »
    Nice one BMO.

What's the start time? Around 8?

Cyclists start leaving around 6am (or even earlier).

There's an official start at 8am.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Jovetic

I'm gonna have to leave at 7 just in case :o

It's hit me in the last few days I may have bitten off more than I can chew :o

Did 25 miles saturday and 30m sunday and I can hardly walk.

Can you bail out on the day if you can't complete the ring?

Maybe I should go swimming cos I won't be able to get up on the bike for another few days :o

Was looking at the training routine http://www.ringofkerrycycle.ie/training.php which gives some good tips.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Jovetic wrote: »
    I'm gonna have to leave at 7 just in case :o

It's hit me in the last few days I may have bitten off more than I can chew :o

Did 25 miles saturday and 30m sunday and I can hardly walk.

Can you bail out on the day if you can't complete the ring?

Maybe I should go swimming cos I won't be able to get up on the bike for another few days :o

Was looking at the training routine http://www.ringofkerrycycle.ie/training.php which gives some good tips.

If you get a few 60kms under your belt. one or two 80kms and maybe one 100km before the ROK , you will be fine on the day then. I hope the do ROK again this year. I was out training early Janurary and February with my club and got 105km as my top spin on my own before being involved in a motor accident that has set me back a good bit.

I have started indoor training on the turbo the last few weeks and started training on my rollers. Really upping my intensity with intensity and endurance training as i've a lot to catch up on. The aim is to get out on the road in a few weeks (my injuries are preventing me at the moment), and hoping I will have some bit of basic fitness with the indoor training. Then I'll start getting the road mileage under my belt. I want to succeed and complete the ROK this year for my second time doing it.

Im getting a new bike in a few weeks, so im looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Tourman

I am looking for someone from north wicklow who is doing the rok. I need some motivation to get back on my bike and would like to team up with somebody for a spin one or two evenings a week. 30 / 40 ks to start 18 to 22 kph average anyone able to assist ?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Tourman wrote: »
    I am looking for someone from north wicklow who is doing the rok. I need some motivation to get back on my bike and would like to team up with somebody for a spin one or two evenings a week. 30 / 40 ks to start 18 to 22 kph average anyone able to assist ?

You may also like to post about someone to cycle with in this thread :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Amprodude wrote: »
    If you get a few 60kms under your belt. one or two 80kms and maybe one 100km before the ROK , you will be fine on the day then. I hope the do ROK again this year. I was out training early Janurary and February with my club and got 105km as my top spin on my own before being involved in a motor accident that has set me back a good bit.

I have started indoor training on the turbo the last few weeks and started training on my rollers. Really upping my intensity with intensity and endurance training as i've a lot to catch up on. The aim is to get out on the road in a few weeks (my injuries are preventing me at the moment), and hoping I will have some bit of basic fitness with the indoor training. Then I'll start getting the road mileage under my belt. I want to succeed and complete the ROK this year for my second time doing it.

Im getting a new bike in a few weeks, so im looking forward to it.

the most important point in that whole thread is....

what new bike are you getting? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Frere Jacques

A little advice to beginners, don't get phased by posters listing extensive training schedules. At this stage get out once or twice a week and don't push yourselve too hard. Do a two hour light paced spin twice a week and ramp it up from there. Your legs will remember the miles. We had a 120k spin done before the ring and everything else was 30 to 40k spins. On the day just relax, if you are not pushing your body too hard it will recover fine at the stops and you'll enjoy it. Think of it more like four 45k spins. When you are doing it you'll be chatting away and won't even notice the miles go by. By the time you are tired heading into Kenmare you'll know that you have only an hour or two left and then you'll have acheived a fantastic personal goal.
    When you are planning your spins have a goal in mind. Don't just say, that's enough and turn around. Down here in Cork when I was training on my own I started looking up local history and visited all the war of independance and civil war sites. Stop, have a sandwich and a drink and relax. Enjoy the training, it makes it much better. Get out and enjoy your countryside, don't just turn the crank for two hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

Loads of time to get some training in. Think the most we did last year was about 80-95km a week before the event. Personally I find if you can get some hills into the training that will help. For anybody living around South Dublin get up to the Wicklow Mountains, as the hills really stand to you on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Ring of Kerry Charity Cycle Promo Video

Anyone know what level of training I should be at, at this stage. I'm worried in case I'm not doing enough

Found this on the ROK site. What week are we on :o

training-programme.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭merc230ce

Anyone know what level of training I should be at, at this stage. I'm worried in case I'm not doing enough

Found this on the ROK site. What week are we on :o

training-programme.gif

I haven't seen that plan on the site, but I assume it'd be easy enough to look at the end of the plan ('race'day, 6th July) and work backwards to where we are now, 10 weeks before the cycle? Like, if it's a 16-week plan we're on Week 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭michael196

Monday starts week 3

Oh right :)

I've been doing more than that of late so it's all good :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭lecker Hendl

signed up! Bike was stolen :( Not very much training done. In the hunt for a decent road bike now but unfortunately with a limited budget.
    Can't wait to go though. Should be a great day out. Hope the weather holds out.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Tomfla

Whats the story with registering via a charity. I can't seem to find where to do it

Tomfla wrote: »
    Whats the story with registering via a charity. I can't seem to find where to do it

see here - http://www.ringofkerrycycle.ie/charities.php

Just email or phone the Charity you wish to use and they will take you details and send you the sponsorship card.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭PandyAndy

Is there an official end time to the cycle? We're thinking about starting around 7am and finishing around 9-10pm. We're going to take our time. An amazing average speed of *drum roll please*
    13km/H!

PandyAndy wrote: »
    Is there an official end time to the cycle? We're thinking about starting around 7am and finishing around 9-10pm. We're going to take our time. An amazing average speed of *drum roll please*
    13km/H!

I did it last year and was out for a few pints later on that night, I saw cyclists around the town on bikes with all the gear at 3am I kid you not.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Thomasofmel

Has anyone got their ROK jersey yet? I ordered mine few weeks back :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭migozarad

Has anyone got their ROK jersey yet? I ordered mine few weeks back :confused:

I ordered mine on the 23rd of April;it still hasn't arrived

• Advertisement

from the Ring of Kerry Charity Cycle Facebook site: "The official start will be from the New Street Car-Park between 6am and 8am with the ceremonial start taking place at 7:30am. The finish area will also be the New Street Car-Park and this will host the official post-cycle party which will include a BBQ, drinks, entertainment and lost more to welcome cyclists over the finish line."

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Has anyone any scéal they would like to share about people will all sortsa ailments cycling the Ring of Kerry in the hail, wind and rain; while peddling at ease up Coomakista Pass and smiling crossing the finishing line yelping 'bring on next year'? :)

I have my commitment made to my chosen charity and my registration will be complete next week. I'm looking for some more belief that I can actually achieve this as brickin' it would be an understatement right now :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭michael196

Kerry

you have all day and almost 10, 000 supporters, ahead of you, behind you, and beside you. There will always be some one with you on the day, moving at your pace. Gauranteed.

You will have food and rest along the route, Sunshine and scenery. You will have the time to take in the scenery.

You will have pubs for lunch and likely make new friends en route. Pints no bother as fuel .

Not to mention the after party in Killarney.

Have no fear, u will make it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

michael196 wrote: »
    Kerry

you have all day and almost 10, 000 supporters, ahead of you, behind you, and beside you. There will always be some one with you on the day, moving at your pace. Gauranteed.

You will have food and rest along the route, Sunshine and scenery. You will have the time to take in the scenery.

You will have pubs for lunch and likely make new friends en route. Pints no bother as fuel .

Not to mention the after party in Killarney.

Have no fear, u will make it.

Sunshine :eek: now that's what i call a long term weather forecast. I sincerely hope you're correct. ;)

Will the jerseys be available to buy online for some time? I want to get one but will put it off for another while, provided there isn't a limited number available online.

I can't wait for it :D

I'm gonna leave and 6am and be the first one home :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Frere Jacques

We'll leave about 7am and hopefully be in by 4pm after spending the day chatting and taking in the scenery and eating lots.
    Fingers crossed for the weather.

Whats the etiquette on taking a leek :o

When I'm on the bike I'm constantly stopping to answer natures call. Which is fine when I'm on my own. If there's 8000 people on a busy road this could cause a problem. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Michael Craddock

When I'm on the bike I'm constantly stopping to answer natures call. Which is fine when I'm on my own. If there's 8000 people on a busy road this could cause a problem. :D

There will be 7999 others doing the same!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,264 ✭✭✭ratracer

Don't wear white shorts :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement