Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ring of Kerry 2013

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,505 ✭✭✭Masala

Whilst the Official site is closed... I believe if you approach the Charities direct they can still take you. I have a feeling that the organisers want to get the Charities numbers up and so they have left this as a last option to join.

Worth a try... and post back if successful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭LeftBlank

Masala wrote: »
    Whilst the Official site is closed... I believe if you approach the Charities direct they can still take you. I have a feeling that the organisers want to get the Charities numbers up and so they have left this as a last option to join.

Worth a try... and post back if successful

The organisers stated on Facebook that the 8,000 includes the charities allocations and that they are full too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

A friend signed up yesterday through a charity. Reckon some are sitting on registrations

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

LeftBlank wrote: »
    The organisers stated on Facebook that the 8,000 includes the charities allocations and that they are full too.

Interesting to note that all their official PR info says they will have 8500 doing the event but on FB they say they are stopping registrations at 8000 so there is a 500 buffer in there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 311 ✭✭luapenak

I was half thinking of doing this if the weather is decent that weekend. Obviously entries are closed. Is there any problem with just turning up and cycling the route and not using any of the stops? I noted on the website that some of the roads are closed, would they be stopping cyclists without official entries from cycling these roads?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 290 ✭✭Uberbeamerman

Can't imagine them being to lenient with people who do it unregistered.... I'd say it'd be akin to doing something like the Wicklow 200 unregistered...you'd be on your own in terms of servicing, support, food stops etc....and yes from what I understand they're closing off roads at strategic locations around the ring for the purposes of traffic management, don't think they'd be too happy to see unregistered cyclists trying to get through

Is there any problem with just turning up and cycling the route and not using
    any of the stops?

...I would say it would be frowned upon from the rest of us who 'paid' into the day. There are Stewards, Photographers, Helpers, generous Kerry people filling water bottles on their garden walls etc. All helping out FREE OF CHARGE in the knowledge that there are charities benefiting somewhere along the line. Why should the Steward stand there all day on a bad bend to ensure your safety and you having a free day out. Personally - I would not be happy with it as you can see from my post. Its against the spirit of the event...simple as!

Also... I believe that there will be more diligence from the organisers this year to stop this type of thing after last years 'feeling' that there was a lot of 'freeloading' this going on last year. I am hearing about a 'Check Point' being organised...but that could be scaremonging !

I'd say it'd be akin to doing something like the Wicklow 200 unregistered...you'd be on your own in terms of servicing, support, food stops etc....
    Sure that would be no bother at all, I'm sure there are plenty of coffee and other shops along the way where you could just buy food, drinks etc.. without the hassle of the queues.
    ...I would say it would be frowned upon from the rest of us who 'paid' into the day.
    Entries closed, couldn't pay if I wanted to. Still, only a thought at this stage

luapenak wrote: »
    Sure that would be no bother at all, I'm sure there are plenty of coffee and other shops along the way where you could just buy food, drinks etc.. without the hassle of the queues.

Entries closed, couldn't pay if I wanted to. Still, only a thought at this stage

If you really want to do it find someone who has registered but cannot attend via Facebook or this forum. Also contact all the charities as it would appear some still have spots.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭letape

...I would say it would be frowned upon from the rest of us who 'paid' into the day. There are Stewards, Photographers, Helpers, generous Kerry people filling water bottles on their garden walls etc. All helping out FREE OF CHARGE in the knowledge that there are charities benefiting somewhere along the line. Why should the Steward stand there all day on a bad bend to ensure your safety and you having a free day out. Personally - I would not be happy with it as you can see from my post. Its against the spirit of the event...simple as!

Also... I believe that there will be more diligence from the organisers this year to stop this type of thing after last years 'feeling' that there was a lot of 'freeloading' this going on last year. I am hearing about a 'Check Point' being organised...but that could be scaremonging !

Are you serious - you would frown on other cyclists turning up and cycling on the day on public roads!

I have cycled this event for the last five years or so, didn't register this year but may still turn up and cycle with friends who are going down. I have always made a significant contribution to the event and would expect I'd do the same this year, albeit without a number on my back.

BailMeOut wrote: »
    If you really want to do it find someone who has registered but cannot attend via Facebook or this forum. Also contact all the charities as it would appear some still have spots.
    Might do that, will have to see if I can rope in some others. Can't understand why I would contact a charity, I mean I would be doing it for my pleasure, could hardly get people to sponsor me.

Might do that, will have to see if I can rope in some others. Can't understand why I would contact a charity, I mean I would be doing it for my pleasure, could hardly get people to sponsor me.

The Ring of Kerry is first and foremost a charity fundraiser, not another an post type sportif.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

You can do it on Sunday for nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,932 ✭✭✭Soarer

Can't understand why I would contact a charity, I mean I would be doing it for my pleasure, could hardly get people to sponsor me.

You would contact a charity because it's a bloody charity event!

How long do you think the event would last if everyone had your attitude?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

Soarer wrote: »
    You would contact a charity because it's a bloody charity event!

How long do you think the event would last if everyone had your attitude?

Well he will be cycling on a "PUBLIC" Road, Which does Mean he can Cycle on it on the Day with out Paying any Money,, Fair Enough don't feel like paying Money Don't Use the Pit Stops !!

It's Total Unfair and Wrong not to pay for the event and still use the pit stops

• Advertisement

The attitude here is akin to going down to the local for a few pints with a few mates.
    There's a charity quiz going on and ye decide to listen in and have a game amongst yourselves. Finger food comes out and ye think "ah shur might as well, it'd go well with the pint!", so ye grab one of the baskets of chips and nuggets and continue.
    At the end of the night, or whenever ye get sick of it, ye move on delighted at the craic ye've had at a someone elses expense.

Is it ok to partake in the quiz by yourselves having not paid any entry fee for the organising charity? What about having a bit of food? "shur its the pub that are paying for that"

The ROK is organised by volunteers effectively double jobbing for months in advance to organise one of the biggest charity cycles in the country. Its fairly insulting to these selfless volunteers to have people going 'yeah I might call down on the day and see what the craic is' 'there'll be a good buzz, good crowd to cycle around with' 'we'll pay our own way around, it'll work out cheaper' 'Cant understand why i'd contact a charity though'

Cork24 wrote: »
    Well he will be cycling on a "PUBLIC" Road, Which does Mean he can Cycle on it on the Day with out Paying any Money,, Fair Enough don't feel like paying Money Don't Use the Pit Stops !!

It's Total Unfair and Wrong not to pay for the event and still use the pit stops

The pit stops are only a minor part of it. Try cycle the ROK public road any other day competing with tourists in rental cars and a constant flow of buses and by yourself and you will see why so many people want to do this incredible event. What if an unregistered rider crashes and needs emergency attention. Do they tell the official medics to go away and wait for a normal emergency service to come along. If their bike has problems do they tell the repair crews on the motorbike not to help. Some local in a village handing out water, do they say no? When a Marshall tells them to stop or slow down do they ignore them?

If you really want to do this event and missed the deadline then please contact the 9 or 10 charities directly or try trade a place with someone who cannot attend. You will find a spot if you really want one.

The pit stops are only a minor part of it. Try cycle the ROK public road any other day competing with tourists in rental cars and a constant flow of buses and by yourself and you will see why so many people want to do this incredible event. What if an unregistered rider crashes and needs emergency attention. Do they tell the official medics to go away and wait for a normal emergency service to come along. If their bike has problems do they tell the repair crews on the motorbike not to help. Some local in a village handing out water, do they say no? When a Marshall tells them to stop or slow down do they ignore them?

If you really want to do this event and missed the deadline then please contact the 9 or 10 charities directly or try trade a place with someone who cannot attend. You will find a spot if you really want one.

I have cycle part of the ROK on my own,
    Which I have had no issue with traffic,

Will I be doing the ROK this year maybe not since I haven't really trained for it, plus with a Tri-sprint the weekend after it is very unlikely I will be cycling the Ring,

Could you blame cyclist for not paying ?
    Look at the some charity's around cork to Galway you need 350 euro, the ROK only drop their pricing back down only a few monts back Roche cork tour is 150 euro for 100k cycle..

musgrave Tri in 800 euro and that's meant to be a charity event as well..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Could you blame cyclist for not paying ?
    Look at the some charity's around cork to Galway you need 350 euro, the ROK only drop their pricing back down only a few monts back Roche cork tour is 150 euro for 100k cycle..

musgrave Tri in 800 euro and that's meant to be a charity event as well..

None of them are compulsory AFAIK; if you dont want to pay, dont do them

To get the thread back on track......
    jinkypolly wrote: »
    Well if you're a wee bit unsure about the foodstops and the ride itself I would suggest having breaks at 60km, 110km and 150km which leaves you with gaps of 60,50,40 and 30kms and at each stop you'll know you have a shorter distance to cycle till the next break.

Any suggestions on what villages are roughly at the intervals above? We're thinking of trying to avoid the main stops to save a bit of time.

And on that subject, the buddy is planning on bringing a rucksack with grub and stuff.
    I think he's mad. I'm bringing a few bananas, as many gels as I can carry, electrolyte tablets, and water. Hoping to pick stuff up along the way then..

Which would be the best option?

• Advertisement

To get the thread back on track......

Any suggestions on what villages are roughly at the intervals above? We're thinking of trying to avoid the main stops to save a bit of time.

And on that subject, the buddy is planning on bringing a rucksack with grub and stuff.
    I think he's mad. I'm bringing a few bananas, as many gels as I can carry, electrolyte tablets, and water. Hoping to pick stuff up along the way then..

Which would be the best option?

there are bananas all the way around at every water and food stop. You will never have seen so many bananas in your life - no need to bring any.

As lots of people have posted you will not be hungry and the food stops are busy but the atmosphere at the them is great. Split your group up to get tea, sandwiches and treats at Caherciveen and Kenmare and you will be in and out in no time. These are great opportunities to chat with others about how you are doing. Around lunch time you will be in Sneen so go into one of the many cafes in the town for your lunch. There are loads to chose from and again there is a brilliant atmosphere here.

You will eat bananas on top of the two climbs (Coomakista and Molls) too. If you need snacks in between these pit stops you can always stop as any one of dozens of petrol stations all the way around.

So no need for any back packs with food.

I'm bringing a few bananas,

.. is like bringing Sand to the Arabs!!

1st Stop was in Killorglin and there was a 'mountain' of bananas. In fact - every stop had bananas. So - save the weight at the start and see how u get along.
    As lots of people have posted you will not be hungry and the food stops are busy but the atmosphere at the them is great. Split your group up to get tea, sandwiches and treats at Caherciveen and Kenmare and you will be in and out in no time. These are great opportunities to chat with others about how you are doing. Around lunch time you will be in Sneen so go into one of the many cafes in the town for your lunch. There are loads to chose from and again there is a brilliant atmosphere here.
    ... couldn't have said it better!!

I was watching the science of triathlon

The first 3 hours are on nutrition

They broke it down if your training or race last I'd under 8 hours their is no need for solid food. Stick to water, energy drinks energy gels should used for anything over 2 hours

• Registered Users Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭PeadarCo

They broke it down if your training or race last I'd under 8 hours their is no need for solid food. Stick to water, energy drinks energy gels should used for anything over 2 hours

For me food is a personnel choice. During most cycles I stick to jellies and gels and maybe the odd bar but can't handle stuff like sandwiches or heavier stuff that others have no problem with.

If you look at the Ultramarathon Race Around Ireland from what I've heard there doesn't seem to be a set menu and varies depending on the rider.

Probably the best advice is don't try anything new on the day, stick to what works for you and eat a little and often.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

What a load of nonsense.

Who paid for The science of triathlon?

For people just trying to get around, my advice would be eat normal food. Good breakfast, porridge boiled eggs etc.

On road I find bananas great, a few jellies. At stops brack cake maybe a sandwich.

A little wstered down isotonic drink for salt replacement.

Did 500km over 3 days in decent time two weeks ago. Used no gels whatsoever.

Marketing con for the ordinary cyclist

ford2600 wrote: »
    Did 500km over 3 days in decent time two weeks ago. Used no gels whatsoever.

Marketing con for the ordinary cyclist

I found gels quite good do I use them all the time no, but I do use them if I'm doing 100 km + I would take it within the last 40k

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Jovetic

I've a pain in my big toe :o Does this mean I have to get cleats? I refuse to conform to the norm :cool:

Can you pick up a ROK jersey on the day or night before? Have to get a jersey :o

Not feeling too confident either as the big day is fast approaching. However I am quite stubborn/determined so I'll complete on my hands and knees if necessary :P

Should I take some gels/EPO for the last 80km? Haven't used gels/energy bars/drinks and I know I'll be lagging. Think I'm gonna leave as early as possible on the day.

Looking at the ROK website
    Bring a decent spare set of cycling shorts and gear and a rain jacket.

Do I really need all of the above? I have a rain jacket but it's huge and I don't fancy lugging it around for 180km. I prefer travelling as light as possible. My usual tactic when it rains is to jump in under a tree until it passes :D

Also what to eat for breakfast on the day of the race. I'm staying in a B&B but I doubt the Bean an Tí will be up at half 5 :p The website recommends
    A good breakfast, porridge / cereal / museli, fruit / yoghurt. Try pancakes / maple syrup or scrambled eggs / brown bread.

Might just take some brown bread with me :mad:

Jovetic wrote: »
    Do I really need all of the above? I have a rain jacket but it's huge and I don't fancy lugging it around for 180km. I prefer travelling as light as possible. My usual tactic when it rains is to jump in under a tree until it passes

You can get a tiny roll-up waterproof jacket in any sports shop for about €10 that will easily fit into rear pocket of your ROK Jersey. Great investment as you can carry with you all the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Mr.Fred

You can get a tiny roll-up waterproof jacket in any sports shop for about €10 that will easily fit into rear pocket of your ROK Jersey. Great investment as you can carry with you all the time.

Or stick a bin liner in your pocket or tape it to the frame (use insulating tape) if it looks like it might just be a shower at some stage.

This is the one I have - 'Pakajak'. Its tiny

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭nordicb

Couple of questions if you don't mind...

Curious, how does RoK compare to Wicklow 200?
    Apologies if this has been asked or mentioned somewhere, which direction does the RoK tour go?

I've tried Charities on the RoK website, also to get hold of registration by other means, no luck so far, I hope I won't cause too much annoyance to others by just going with my own stuff in a back rack.

Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Listrydude

Have been watching this forum over past few weeks. Doing the ROK cycle for the first time, which is nuts considering I live just outside Killarney! Lol!

This forum is worth a weight in gold for the first timer and has inspired me no end with all the info. I'm looking forward to seeing these 'mountains' of bananas!

Just to echo the stuff in gels, where is the best place to get them? Does anyone out there recommend gel padding for the seats? Cheers!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 102 ✭✭listrybabe

Listrydude wrote: »
    Have been watching this forum over past few weeks. Doing the ROK cycle for the first time, which is nuts considering I live just outside Killarney! Lol!

This forum is worth a weight in gold for the first timer and has inspired me no end with all the info. I'm looking forward to seeing these 'mountains' of bananas!

Just to echo the stuff in gels, where is the best place to get them? Does anyone out there recommend gel padding for the seats? Cheers!!

this a coincidence or what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

Ya real "coincidence" !

listrybabe wrote: »
    this a coincidence or what?

Ha! Took me a minute there! Hello listrybabe!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

nordicb wrote: »
    Couple of questions if you don't mind...

Curious, how does RoK compare to Wicklow 200?
    Apologies if this has been asked or mentioned somewhere, which direction does the RoK tour go?

I've tried Charities on the RoK website, also to get hold of registration by other means, no luck so far, I hope I won't cause too much annoyance to others by just going with my own stuff in a back rack.

Thank you
    The RoK is very easy compared to the W200, the main challenge in Kerry is the distance and a testing climb at the end ( Molls gap). Just take it easy, eat your way around and enjoy the day.
    The route goes in an anti-clockwise direction from Killarney. Killarney-Killorglin-Glenbeigh -Cahersiveen and so on.

Ha! Took me a minute there! Hello listrybabe!!

Get a room! Or a tandem...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

Or maybe a few friends :D

Can you get a Trek tandem? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭merc230ce

Gels scare me - I've heard too many stories about bad reactions (the messy kind!)

Gel saddles, on the other hand, are the business. I did a 140k cycle last year, having only been cycling (sporadically) for about 3 months beforehand. I wore 2 pairs of cycle shorts and used a gel saddle cover - bliss! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭Craig06

You should get a good quality chamois in your shorts and wear it next to the skin and avoid extra layers as they'll cause friction and rub. You shouldn't need a gel saddle cover if you do that.

The most important thing with deciding what to wear for the ROK is to wear it out while out training and see what it feels like. If you decide to get new clothes/a saddle, start using them as soon as possible because any unfamiliar gear is going to be uncomfortable at the start....its a bit like buying a new pair of runners or something like that, the initial wearing in period can be uncomfortable....best to get it over with before running a marathon!

Ideally a pair of cycling shorts with a chamois and a breathable cycling top...not sure what the weather's going to be like for the ROK, but something like a vest, short sleeved top, and a light rain jacket (if things get a bit chilly/wet) usually suffice, summer cycling gloves are a good idea also. From a food point of view bananas are grand, and the food stops are usually overflowing with food so I wouldn't really worry about lugging food around (bring a few nutrigrain bars or bananas alright just in case).

I'd be more concerned with bringing things like a spare tube (or two), pump and tyre levers as its a good idea to be self sufficient along the ring and try and keep the service crews as free as possible.

Some great pointers there Uber! Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭ratracer

merc230ce wrote: »
    Gels scare me - I've heard too many stories about bad reactions (the messy kind!)

Gel saddles, on the other hand, are the business. I did a 140k cycle last year, having only been cycling (sporadically) for about 3 months beforehand. I wore 2 pairs of cycle shorts and used a gel saddle cover - bliss! :D

Wouldn't recommend two pairs of shorts, this will cause friction and sores. Just use a good chamois cream before you go.

Vaseline?

• Advertisement

Vaseline?

Bepanthen Moisturizer i find the best, Any Baby Cream really.

This is the one I have - 'Pakajak'. Its tiny

Pricey yokes them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

Also what to eat for breakfast on the day of the race. I'm staying in a B&B but I doubt the Bean an Tí will be up at half 5 :p The website recommends

A full fry-up if you can get it. Keeps you going for the day until you get back. The B&B I'm staying in does fried breakfasts from 6am onwards.
    Most gels are fine on the stomach. It's just getting the right one to suit you is the issue. They definitely do work though.

Pricey yokes them.

I bought mine in a bike shop in UK for a £10. Thought that was good value as it is a pretty decent jacket.

I bought mine in a bike shop in UK for a £10. Thought that was good value as it is a pretty decent jacket.

Those "pakajaks" seem to be up around the £35 - €40 mark. A tenner would be grand like.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement