Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ring of Kerry 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭ustazjoseph

I like craneens on the right middle of caherciveen. we got great cake and coffee in a market in waterville one year . I had a great feed in Jam in kenmare one year. The brother in law fed me and dragged me up molls and home.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭slowcyclist

ratracer wrote: »
    After doing the Tour de Connemara in the rain last saturday, I'm kinda hoping the weather can't be that bad down in Kerry on the day...

That's blown it - it'll now rain all day in Kerry, and the last two years have been so good!

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Jovetic

Did 103km today :D A new personal best.

However it did take just over 5 hours :o There was a bit of headwind in parts but it's still not a great time. I had nothing in the tank either and was struggling towards the end. I should have probably had longer breaks, had a few ten mins breaks but was on the saddle for most of it. My legs are in bits but surprisingly my arse is ok :)

Not sure I'll manage 180k for the ROK :( I'll have to walk up Molls Gap :mad:

Also nearly killed myself flying down a hill, didn't take the corner at all and ended up on the other side of the road. If there was a car coming against me I was gone. Really stupid stuff :o

• Registered Users Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Soarer

You'll do the ROK grand.

100k on your own is tough enough. When you're in a group, you'll be pulled along fine and dandyo.
    If you have to walk up the gap, shur what about it. There's nobody there judging you.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭wayne0308

Jovetic wrote: »

However it did take just over 5 hours :o There was a bit of headwind in parts but it's still not a great time. I had nothing in the tank either and was struggling towards the end. I should have probably had longer breaks, had a few ten mins breaks but was on the saddle for most of it. My legs are in bits but surprisingly my arse is ok :)

Also nearly killed myself flying down a hill, didn't take the corner at all and ended up on the other side of the road. If there was a car coming against me I was gone. Really stupid stuff :o

Congrats on hitting your first 100km! I managed my first 100km on Thursday myself and felt the same way afterwards, shattered. I'd say anyone that saw me when the odometer ticked over to 100 must have thought I was mad :) Did you tackle it on your own?

I'm doing the ROK for the first time this year as well and was worried that I wouldn't make it through as my long cycles were fairly difficult. But the more research I did on the training plans that people have previously used and those that are recommended for this and similar events the better I felt about it. You've exceeded the longest spin distance recommended by the majority of those plans with 5 weeks left to go so TBH I think we're in a good position! Just need to keep on getting out for spins and get the weekly mileage up and I think on the day the atmosphere and group mentality of the thing will really help in getting through it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

Well done guys on your first "tons". The trick to training is to go out 2 or even 3 days in a row, to build up the lactic acid tolerance, obviously not 100 Km's again but maybe a 40 Km or 50 Km will do you the world of good.
    Don't forget the RoK is not about finishing times but simply finishing, as was said earlier tag along in a group, eat as you go around and the day will fly.

wayne0308 wrote: »
    Congrats on hitting your first 100km! I managed my first 100km on Thursday myself and felt the same way afterwards, shattered. I'd say anyone that saw me when the odometer ticked over to 100 must have thought I was mad :) Did you tackle it on your own?

Thanks, yeah was on my own. Congrats to you too :D

I'll just fall in behind you on the day and draft :P

funnights I don't know that I'll even be able to look at the bike for another few days :p

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭slowcyclist

Jovetic wrote: »

Well done on achieving the 100km. Don't forget the excellent road surfaces, atmosphere and general buzz, plenty of other cyclists etc - it all adds up and is worth at least 40-50km - you're nearly there. There's no shame in walking, you'll be in good company :)

Last year i saw a guy (not the fittest looking individual in the world) leaning on one of the farm gates about half way up moll's gap having a cigarette :eek:. A few guys shouted at him"what the f++k" and he replied "it'll get me to the top :D ". Not recommended but hey whatever gets you to the finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,538 ✭✭✭✭siblers

There was a 80km charity cycle down in Milltown (in Kerry) today, did that as a warm up for the ring. My first time on a bike since last August, got through it somehow but was freaking tough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,538 ✭✭✭✭siblers

ROK ON wrote: »
    You can really tell that the RoK is just around the corner by the amount of cyclists going up Molls Gap of a Sunday morning.

Signed up last week for free - just a promise to raise funds for my chosen charity. I contacted the charity directly. Recd my official card on Friday.

Looking forward to it now at this stage.

How do you sign up with the other charities as opposed to paying the 60 online?

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭ruffmut

Make contact directly with them and they will forward a sponsorship card out to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭liam7831

Just signed up, training starts this week, hope to do 80kms sat

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭bo-sco

Any idea how late entry will be open for this event?

Just back on the bike this weekend after two years out with a back injury. Would like to participate but don't want to enter too early in case I have a relapse in the meantime.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

bo-sco wrote: »
    Any idea how late entry will be open for this event?

Just back on the bike this weekend after two years out with a back injury. Would like to participate but don't want to enter too early in case I have a relapse in the meantime.

21st of June 5.00pm
    http://www.ringofkerrycycle.ie/registerOption2.php

Word has it they're limiting numbers this year for health and safety reasons so if registration is still open then go for it.

Started training for this last evening using the training schedule on the ROK website.

training-programme.gif

Started on the Tuesday of Week 9, so did a little over the 30k. Could've done a (good) bit more, but held back 'cause I've been out of the saddle for a while.

Mapped it on Strava (attached. Dont know how to grab and paste from Strava!).

A bit of a loop around Glanmire which went up Silversprings Hill twice (second time turned left at the lights and up towards Looney's) and up the hill from Grandon's in Glanmire to the roundabout up near the motorway. I know they're no Moll's Gap, but hopefully a few more multiples of this route over the next few weeks will sort the legs out for the ROK.

I'm trying to get a lot of hills into my training aswell, don't want to be found wanting going up Molls Gap :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

you'll be grand fiend!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Molls gap does not deserve the reputation it is getting here. Find the right gear, put your head down and you will be at the top in no time. It is exactly 10kms from Kenmare to the top so will only take 40-60 mins doing a nice easy pace. The trick is to eat a thick slice of that delicious famous butter covered barmbrack at the food stop in Kenmare and a cup of tea and I guarantee you will not notice the climb!

• Advertisement

Soarer wrote: »
    Started training for this last evening using the training schedule on the ROK website.

training-programme.gif

Started on the Tuesday of Week 9, so did a little over the 30k. Could've done a (good) bit more, but held back 'cause I've been out of the saddle for a while.

Mapped it on Strava (attached. Dont know how to grab and paste from Strava!).

A bit of a loop around Glanmire which went up Silversprings Hill twice (second time turned left at the lights and up towards

Looney's) and up the hill from Grandon's in Glanmire to the roundabout up near the motorway. I know they're no Moll's Gap, but hopefully a few more multiples of this route over the next few weeks will sort the legs out for the ROK.

There's no need to climb hills that severe for the ring. You would be better off cycling up the airport hill as preparation. Molls gap is basically a long drag, your main enemy is the tiredness when you start it.

There's no need to climb hills that severe for the ring. You would be better off cycling up the airport hill as preparation..Do

Nice one.

Airport hill is the wrong side for me. Maybe up and down to Watergrasshill a few times?

Nice one.

Airport hill is the wrong side for me. Maybe up and down to Watergrasshill a few times?

u in glanmire?
    Head from carrigtohill up longstown hill, Similiar, but tougher than anything on the RoK.
    Molls is a gentle, but long drag.

Yup, down in Glanmire. Will try find that Longstown Hill place and have a cut off it.

Actually, is that the back road from Carrig up to Watergrasshill? If it is, I rode that last year during a Guide Dogs cycle run by the CCCC.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Tomfla

I agree that Molls Gap isn't as tough as some people seem to think it will be, I did my first ROK last year 4 weeks after buying a bike and tbh I thought it was a little bit of an anti climax. I'm going out 3/4 lunchtimes per week now and doing 60/80k at the weekend. I go from Ballincollig to Killumney and then up to Begleys forge which is about as tough as I remember Molls being from last year i.e. You'll have to make an effort but you will get it done. There is a 120k sportive in Churchtown this weekend which will let me know how I am fairing out compared to others.

Yup, down in Glanmire. Will try find that Longstown Hill place and have a cut off it.

Actually, is that the back road from Carrig up to Watergrasshill? If it is, I rode that last year during a Guide Dogs cycle run by the CCCC.

Ill stick up the segment later (cant do it from my fone! :p Dont think they went on it though.

Ill stick up the segment later (cant do it from my fone! :p Dont think they went on it though.

Thanks for that.

Did a search for it on Strava and found it. Don't think it's too far from the route the CCCC took last year. Either way, using MapMyRide, I've created a route from my place in Glanmire down to Carrig, up Longstown Hill, through Leamlara and Watergrasshill, and back down home. Maps at 40.27km, so in Soarer maths thats 40k. Due to do a 40k tomorrow evening, so will do that route.

As for Moll's Gap, I have the Healy Pass in my head. Struggled with that during the Rebel last year. Legs started cramping pretty badly. I reckon that was more to do with spending too long at the foodstop before that getting stiff....and not in a good way! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Dont talk to me about hills im in bantry and there is nothing but hills what id give for a bit of flat road i went fom bantry to kilcrohane today turned right at kilcrohane up over the goats path and back to bantry about 50kms the goats path nearly killed me im only back on the bike a week though after more then a year

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Tomfla

When you are really struggling keep your head down and just cycle the meters in front of you. Its soul destroying looking up at the struggle that is ahead when you can barely keep the pedals turning

• Advertisement

Thanks for that.

As for Moll's Gap, I have the Healy Pass in my head. Struggled with that during the Rebel last year. Legs started cramping pretty badly. I reckon that was more to do with spending too long at the foodstop before that getting stiff....and not in a good way! ;)

Healy (5.7km @4.7%) is slightly shorter but steeper than Molls (6.7km @3%)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement