Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ring of Kerry 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,538 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Last year for Moll's gap, I fell in with a group of 4 or 5 and we just spurned each other to the top. Made it much, much easier than doing it on your own. I found the bit from Sneem to Kenmare to be the worst part of it, just dragged on for so long.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Uberbeamerman

The climb up Molls Gap is grand, it really is nothing to worry about...just start from Kenmare and pedal at a pace you feel comfortable....it's not the longest climb in the world and before you know it you'll be on top....
    According to google maps, from the Kenmare stop to the top of the gap is 10.1 km, from experience there isn't much of a hill until you hit the 5km mark and even then I can think of dozens of climbs that Molls Gap doesn't even compare to....

Instead of thinking about 'the worst part' of the ring, or the 'most boring section' why not think about interacting with your fellow cyclists....i've spent many a boring road just having a bit of banter with these cycling alongside me and I think thats what the spirit of the ROK is all about. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Kingdom Man

bo-sco wrote: »
    Any idea how late entry will be open for this event?

Just back on the bike this weekend after two years out with a back injury. Would like to participate but don't want to enter too early in case I have a relapse in the meantime.

It says 21st june on website but i know from the PRO that they will be capping it
    when they reach the same as last year around 8000 people so get in early if you
    want to do it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Healy (5.7km @4.7%) is slightly shorter but steeper than Molls (6.7km @3%)

having done both in the last few months, healy is a significantly tougher climb than molls. those who say molls isn't something to worry about are bang on, take your time, nice easy rhythm up it and you'll be fine
    The climb up Molls Gap is grand, it really is nothing to worry about...just start from Kenmare and pedal at a pace you feel comfortable....it's not the longest climb in the world and before you know it you'll be on top....
    According to google maps, from the Kenmare stop to the top of the gap is 10.1 km, from experience there isn't much of a hill until you hit the 5km mark and even then I can think of dozens of climbs that Molls Gap doesn't even compare to....
    here is a garmin connect profile for a cycle i did from centre of kenmare to the top of molls and back, 20.26km round trip so your 10.1 is bang on. this was the day after we did the ras mumhan course, so 140km including caha twice and healy, so the spin up molls was leisurely. it really is nothing to worry about
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/294506973

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭Ernest Oreo

Greetings fellow cyclists

I need to rent a road bike for this event
    Any suggestions re local providers?
    Was thinking about getting down friday afternoon, kit up and hit the road early saturday morning.
    Could prob even return the bike saturday evening before grabbing beer.

Not looking for a state-of-the-art carbon machine either.
    Something light, with a few gears will suffice on this occasion.

Thanking you.

• Advertisement

Greetings fellow cyclists

I need to rent a road bike for this event
    Any suggestions re local providers?
    Was thinking about getting down friday afternoon, kit up and hit the road early saturday morning.
    Could prob even return the bike saturday evening before grabbing beer.

Not looking for a state-of-the-art carbon machine either.
    Something light, with a few gears will suffice on this occasion.

Thanking you.

O sullivans down by the cathedral. You may want to contact them soon though as they are mobbed coming up to the event

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭wayne0308

I was supposed to be doing this for the first time with two friends, the last of which pulled out this afternoon so it looks like I'm doing it on my own. Is this common enough? I don't want to be like a loner on the day :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

wayne0308 wrote: »
    I was supposed to be doing this for the first time with two friends, the last of which pulled out this afternoon so it looks like I'm doing it on my own. Is this common enough? I don't want to be like a loner on the day :o

It's hard to be a loner when there'll be 7999 other people doing it on the same day! :D

It's hard to be a loner when there'll be 7999 other people doing it on the same day! :D

Haha that is very true I suppose :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Haha that is very true I suppose :)

did your friends just chicken out or do they have good reasons not to be able to make it?

• Advertisement

BailMeOut wrote: »
    did your friends just chicken out or do they have good reasons not to be able to make it?

One did damage to his back a few weeks ago, he'd been doing much better at training than I had been doing up till that point so was well on target. The other fecker is chickening out though :) in fairness to him though he's not making any excuses, he reckons he hasn't been doing enough to get around the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭shamcfc

Hi lads,

This is my first big event really, I did the CAS limerick to Galway route a couple of months back fairly comfortably but it was a nice handy pace to it,

Been out training the last few weeks ,getting good miles on the legs, Did 100k yesterday in 3hr 20 but still not great at climbing, so was happy to see reports earlier in the thread not to worry too much about molls, just a couple quick questions

I am staying in a hotel down in kilarney for Friday night and Saturday night, Is it common practice to bring your bike with you into your hotel room?

The cycle itself, what is a good way to break up the 180k, would it be every 50k stop for food?

shamcfc wrote: »
    The cycle itself, what is a good way to break up the 180k, would it be every 50k stop for food?

For a lot of people

1st stop at Cahersiveen (snack), then next one at Sneem (lunch) and last stop in Kenmare (snack).

Quick breaks on top of Coomaciste and Molls gap.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

For a lot of people

1st stop at Cahersiveen (snack), then next one at Sneem (lunch) and last stop in Kenmare (snack).

Quick breaks on top of Coomaciste and Molls gap.

No matter where you stop you'll be waiting for ages with the crowd!

Also, don't tell anyone, but it's only 170km, not 180km :)

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭jinkypolly

Well if you're a wee bit unsure about the foodstops and the ride itself I would suggest having breaks at 60km, 110km and 150km which leaves you with gaps of 60,50,40 and 30kms and at each stop you'll know you have a shorter distance to cycle till the next break.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Hi lads,
    I am staying in a hotel down in kilarney for Friday night and Saturday night, Is it common practice to bring your bike with you into your hotel room?

Oh absolutely just say it to the Front-Desk Team or Mgt in the Hotel. When-ever I stay in hotels on my cycle-breaks I always have my bike up in my room with me. You are leaving your bike in or on your vehicle as your own risk so don't know why you would take the risk tbh!

I have received some strange looks by some people when I am bringing my bike up to the room; but I also have men nearly crash their cars into the one in-front of them while eyeing me on the bike and all that without me wearing my helmet (so can't be the helmet!).

Anywhoo, just make some contact before-hand and ask but you probably won't be the only one to bring your bike to your room and I don't forsee any problems either with you wishing to do so :)

Hope that helps in some way,
    kerry4sam

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

One did damage to his back a few weeks ago, he'd been doing much better at training than I had been doing up till that point so was well on target. The other fecker is chickening out though :) in fairness to him though he's not making any excuses, he reckons he hasn't been doing enough to get around the course.

I have sciatica and will be, will be, completing the Ring of Kerry 2013! I'm in training at the moment; won't be breaking any speed records; but by God will I complete this Personal Challenge :)

Wish your friend well in his recovery though! As for the other friend; he is not alone in chickening out as I also know of a few others. I am personally bricking it for varying reasons so you should keep that friend out peddling and encourage him more over the next week! Never completed a challenge of this magnitude myself, but this year I will.

No matter where you stop you'll be waiting for ages with the crowd!

Also, don't tell anyone, but it's only 170km, not 180km :)

ah but you split your party up. Cycling in three is the perfect group as someone gets the tea, another gets the sandwiches and third person get the treats and bananas!

ROK facebook page is saying that registration is now 95% full.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

ROK facebook page is saying that registration is now 95% full.

Marketing :D;)

Dont believe everything you read on facebook....(I better register just in case)

• Advertisement

ah but you split your party up. Cycling in three is the perfect group as someone gets the tea, another gets the sandwiches and third person get the treats and bananas!

who minds the bikes? :)

mossym wrote: »

the bikes mind the bikes!

the bikes mind the bikes!

that's quite alright if it is a trek or a giant which will be hidden in the throngs of treks and giants around them.we'll have a rose, a aero felt and a pretty rare steel colnago, none of which there will be too many of, so someone will be staying with the bikes

we'll have a fourth on a giant, he can get the tea..:)

mossym wrote: »

That is probably the only note of concern during the event, when you come into Cahersiveen there are thousands of bikes left unattended, so if there is a group have one person keep an eye on them if possible.

Just registered today, 60 euros is pretty steep though but the cycle is one of a kind so worth it really.

kerry4sam wrote: »
    I have sciatica and will be, will be, completing the Ring of Kerry 2013! I'm in training at the moment; won't be breaking any speed records; but by God will I complete this Personal Challenge :)

Wish your friend well in his recovery though! As for the other friend; he is not alone in chickening out as I also know of a few others. I am personally bricking it for varying reasons so you should keep that friend out peddling and encourage him more over the next week! Never completed a challenge of this magnitude myself, but this year I will.

I'll be doing my best to convince him to go so hopefully he'll change his mind. I'm bricking it myself at this stage :) I did out a route map with all the distances including the foodstops thinking I'd make myself feel better by being able to split it up into smaller chunks but it didn't help... I might print it and stick it to the top tube though.

Really looking forward to this now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

jinkypolly wrote: »
    Well if you're a wee bit unsure about the foodstops and the ride itself I would suggest having breaks at 60km, 110km and 150km which leaves you with gaps of 60,50,40 and 30kms and at each stop you'll know you have a shorter distance to cycle till the next break.

Will they have deep-fried mars bars?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Soarer

Soarer wrote: »
    Thanks for that.

Did a search for it on Strava and found it. Don't think it's too far from the route the CCCC took last year. Either way, using MapMyRide, I've created a route from my place in Glanmire down to Carrig, up Longstown Hill, through Leamlara and Watergrasshill, and back down home. Maps at 40.27km, so in Soarer maths thats 40k. Due to do a 40k tomorrow evening, so will do that route.

Didn't get out yesterday evening, but took advantage of the weather this afternoon and did the loop above.

Well I'd intended to do the loop. Took the wrong turn in Carrigtwohill and before I knew it, I was in Lisgoold!:o

No turning back at that stage, so I continued on to Rathcormac, headed up to Watergrasshill, and then down home into Glanmire. Ended up doing 60k. There was a stiff enough Easterly breeze too which kept me honest until Rathcormac, but I was glad to have it behind me on the homeward leg.

Didn't make any stops as I'd no food/gels with me, but I'm storing enough for 3! ;)

Legs held up well on the drag up to the 'Hill, but they let me down trying to get up Church Hill in Glanmire. Had to stop twice, but didn't walk. Just got the breath back for 30 seconds and then up again.

So disappointed about the finish, but happy I did 50% more than I'd planned to. Also happy I didn't have to stop, which suits my game plan for the ROK.

Roll on the next episode!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Soarer wrote: »
    Didn't get out yesterday evening, but took advantage of the weather this afternoon and did the loop above.

Well I'd intended to do the loop. Took the wrong turn in Carrigtwohill and before I knew it, I was in Lisgoold!:o

No turning back at that stage, so I continued on to Rathcormac, headed up to Watergrasshill, and then down home into Glanmire. Ended up doing 60k. There was a stiff enough Easterly breeze too which kept me honest until Rathcormac, but I was glad to have it behind me on the homeward leg.

Didn't make any stops as I'd no food/gels with me, but I'm storing enough for 3! ;)

Legs held up well on the drag up to the 'Hill, but they let me down trying to get up Church Hill in Glanmire. Had to stop twice, but didn't walk. Just got the breath back for 30 seconds and then up again.

So disappointed about the finish, but happy I did 50% more than I'd planned to. Also happy I didn't have to stop, which suits my game plan for the ROK.

Roll on the next episode!:D
    well done Sir, you'll be laughing on the ring. Thats lumpy country

• Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Axel Lamp

The worst part of the ROK is between Sneem & Kenmare (the dead road). It relatively flat and boring; but there's very little signage so you've no idea how long left to go and you're just waiting for Molls. the road just drags and drags.

I did the Ring for the first time last year and the thoughts of 180km & Molls, Coomakishta etc are worse in your head than it is in reality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

Completely agree with the previous post. That stretch of road around Sneem is the worst. Molls Gap and Coomakista aren't as bad as you can see the summit off in the distance, and you know with each revolution you're getting nearer to a downhill on the other side. Once you descend Molls Gap, you can smell the BBQ and waiting Beers.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement