Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ring of Kerry 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

Axel lamp is spot on . Sneem to kenmare is the worst, supposedly tarmacadam on top of concrete road which makes it dead .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭michael196

Last years ROK discussion gave some less than positive reviews regarding club riders, basically club riders were too trained and too fast for the typical ROK participant.

A club rider is some one riding in club gear. e.g. Comeragh cycling club. Wexford Wheelers , Carrick Cycling club etc

Not to reopen such discussions, but for those who do not belong to a club, my suggestion is to look out for the club riders.

Club riders are used to setting very steady paces, over long distances, u wont see a club rider race past u to find him gast and B&^llocked 2 km later down the road.

Club riders, can set a pace for a group, that is very useful. and groups tend to form behind riders who can maintain a very steady pace.

Club riders will be particularily useful to you on the hills, again the group following club riders typically approach the base of a hill, and without you noticiing the pace on the hill gradually moderates to keep the group together.

If u find urself in a club rider group, and u are faling off the back on an ascent, call up the front by shouting 'off the back' and the pace will moderate again to collect the guys going off the back.

Pick the group that suits ur pace, do your turn on the front, if u dont know up and over, ask and observe.

but if u see a club rider near u at a pace that suits u , fall in behind, form the group, believe me , steady riders create popular huge groups, hang in on the hills,

club riders dont mind towing !!! USE the Club Riders . they will help get u home.

Wexford Wheelers .com

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Uberbeamerman

michael196 wrote: »
    Last years ROK discussion gave some less than positive reviews regarding club riders, basically club riders were too trained and too fast for the typical ROK participant.

A club rider is some one riding in club gear. e.g. Comeragh cycling club. Wexford Wheelers , Carrick Cycling club etc

Not to reopen such discussions, but for those who do not belong to a club, my suggestion is to look out for the club riders.

Club riders are used to setting very steady paces, over long distances, u wont see a club rider race past u to find him gast and B&^llocked 2 km later down the road.

Club riders, can set a pace for a group, that is very useful. and groups tend to form behind riders who can maintain a very steady pace.

Club riders will be particularily useful to you on the hills, again the group following club riders typically approach the base of a hill, and without you noticiing the pace on the hill gradually moderates to keep the group together.

If u find urself in a club rider group, and u are faling off the back on an ascent, call up the front by shouting 'off the back' and the pace will moderate again to collect the guys going off the back.

Pick the group that suits ur pace, do your turn on the front, if u dont know up and over, ask and observe.

but if u see a club rider near u at a pace that suits u , fall in behind, form the group, believe me , steady riders create popular huge groups, hang in on the hills,

club riders dont mind towing !!! USE the Club Riders . they will help get u home.

Wexford Wheelers .com

Club riders got a fair amount of stick last year and rightly so...
    Many people who do the ROK aren't passionate cyclists (ie don't spend their spare time on the saddle, don't spend their time going out with clubs, don't spend their time doing sportifs etc).

The vast majority of the people giving out last year were giving out about the fact that these groups were storming up roads, shouting LEFT!!!!!!!!!!!! ON YOUR RIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! CENTRE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! etc. For someone who isn't a seasoned cyclist this shouting can be fairly intimidating especially when you aren't expecting it (not to mention several cyclists closely bunched together flying past you with little room to spare).

Here's an example
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZT6EIEet45Y

Its not the fault of the common cyclist, its the fault of the club riders who treat the ROK as another Wicklow 200 or the like. Groups will form anyway regardless of who's at the front. I think this year, club riders need to be a bit more considerate and look at more for the casual cyclist. That seemed to be the common theme running through the majority of complaints last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

I consider myself a reasonably experienced cyclist, not with a club but it's a dedicated hobby. I've been on plenty of sportives so I know the ins and outs of group cycling, signalling etc.
    As many clips on you tube will show you many clubs bully there way around the RoK. I myself have got a few frights by fast moving groups charging along with little or no warning. The average cyclist is not used to guys travelling at such speed and overtaking so close.
    I know organisers prefer if the faster club guys head off early on the big day and let the later starters go at their own pace. Hopefully this year some common sense, and common courtesy will prevail and we can all enjoy the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭Masala

Just a clarification.... I will be there and wearing the Club Kit this year. But our club has lots of different levels and I wont be bombing past anyone at speed as I am not at that level by a long way. However - I am happy to wear the colours this year to show my pride in my club...!

So... it would be best if you don't fall behind me looking for inspiration!!

I'll be there to enjoy the day ..eat plenty...take in the scenery and enjoy 'the bant' !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

I'll be there too in club colours - my first ROK, and definitely won't be charging past anyone - if I come in last I'll still be happy to have finished it. I'll be happy to wear my club jersey that day as I've found that at few other sportives I've done when I was wearing the jersey, clubmates who wouldn't know me at all were all great at helping me along and encouraged me all the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

The vast majority of the people giving out last year were giving out about the fact that these groups were storming up roads, shouting LEFT!!!!!!!!!!!! ON YOUR RIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! CENTRE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! etc. For someone who isn't a seasoned cyclist this shouting can be fairly intimidating especially when you aren't expecting it (not to mention several cyclists closely bunched together flying past you with little room to spare).

People don't realise how vital these calls are when riding in large groups. The idea of these calls ("left", "right" or "centre") is to warn people of an obstacle (pothole, bump etc.) on the respective side of the road. Frankly, I don't care how intimidating they are to people, I want to get around the RoK with my clubmates without any accidents. And doing this involves calling out to them what lies on the road ahead.

I'm not overly bothered about pace but would like to do it in similar or slightly less time than last year (6.5 hours).

To be honest, the complete lack of basic cycling knowledge and consideration to other cyclists was equal to the non-club cyclists last year, just as much as these non-club cyclists think that club cyclists are inconsiderate. It's just two different ways of looking at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Frere Jacques

I saw both sides coming down from Coomnacista. Club riders absolutely bombing it making use of the gradient to get a good time and beginners zig zagging across the road because they don't know the line to take especially when tired after the climb.
    I just gave everyone a wide berth.:D You could spot people in the wrong on the ROK all day.
    Not long after this there was a house giving out tea, loads of people had stopped and the path through the center was quite congested and I saw one bloke just lash on the brakes in the middle of the road and stop. I thought he was going to get a dig from a couple of different folk behind him.
    Club riders should always expect the unexpected at this event and make sure the have room to react. Beginners by the same token would do well to learn to cycle in a straight line and make so sudden changes to pace or path.
    Safety first and patience not too far behind can make this a great day out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

Basically, don't do anything on a bicycle that you wouldn't do in a car. This includes passing on the inside, braking all of a sudden, and passing out without looking behind you, for example. If everyone could do those three things, there would be very few if any accidents.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

The Ring of Kerry charity cycle is Ireland's most friendly cycle and is open to people of all cycling abilities.

We have got a few e-mails from people who are doing the cycle on their own or for the 1st time - they couldn't convince their friends to cycle 180K's around Kerry with them

So we'd like to help - we have decided to see if we can arrange a meet up on Saturday morning of the cycle for people who are doing it on their own so they can all cycle together and share the experience.

Leave your sugestions here for a suitable time of meet up and location

Taken from the official ROK facebook page :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Vivienne23

Just seen that on Facebook too, I am doing it on my own , only started training for it this weekend , haven't been on the bike since last year , I was thinking ya that's a good idea for a meet up but then I want to fall into a group with the same pace as myself , I.e slow to very slow :) , so just gonna go on the day and see who's around a few miles in ! I'm still nervous about doing the cycle though have to admit , I know people say there are all sorts if cyclists but would there be people in my speed/or lack thereof category ? Chances are I may come in very last my avg speed would be approx 18/19kmph over 30k/40k cycles (figures from cycles I did this weekend ) thanks for any info !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭PeadarCo

Basically, don't do anything on a bicycle that you wouldn't do in a car. This includes passing on the inside, braking all of a sudden, and passing out without looking behind you, for example. If everyone could do those three things, there would be very few if any accidents.

That's it put very well.

On the overall issue the ROK is the biggest cycle in the country. It's the number and variety of cyclists what makes the event special.

However anyone doing should be competent at the basic's of group riding. Experienced riders should take account of the nature of the event. But for newcomers/inexperienced riders the basics should be known. Turning up the biggest cycle in the country without basic skills is very stupid and inconsiderate.

Its a give and take on both sides. Club cyclists being more considerate and non club cyclists making a bigger effort to ensure that their technical skills are the level required to do the event safely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭michael196

I guess there have been fair points made of both the club and non club riders.

Club riders operate by simple guides, taught at club level and on every sunday tour or spin with a club. the guides are designed for safer cycling.

The fundamental of these guides are :

1). Follow ur line , e.g. follow the path of the bike in front, (do not deviate from the bike in fronts path,). this makes the pace consistant, the course safe, ( as the bike in front has just traveled where u are about to ) .

the course is then predicatble, the speed is predicatble .

2) any obstacle encountered by the lead bike, must be shouted , ( left right center etc, as this prevents the rider behind encountering any surprise elements with obstacles, or road surface ( potholes) .

3) no sudden movements ( e.g. suddenly stopping or overtaking ).

My main point was, for those fearful of not getting around on the day, through lack of fitness or training or just feeling bad on the day,or bing tired near the end, is to look to form a group, or join a group as u begin to struggle and you will find a group will carry you safey and with less effort to complete the ring.

My main point was, to use the club riders to get you home. but club riders will always call 'on left' , 'on right' or 'center' to denote a danger on the left or right or on the center, to the riders immediatly behind the lead bike.

Here is a typical accident scenario: in a group, riding along, front bike spots a pot hole imminently ahead, no real time to swerve, so he shouts ' hole' . the front bike has the space to maneouvre, the second bike has the time to alter course and the thrid bike back has ample time to follow the second bikes deviation.

Without the warning :

first bike sees the hole, shouts nothing, second bike does not see hole because of position behind the first, second bike, no visual or audable warning, hits the hole and comes off, thrid bike ploughs into the second etc. result multiple pile up crash.

same for left right etc.

when a rider behind u shouts left or right, means that a group is approaching and u are about to be overtaken, so the group is made aware that you are there on the left or whatever.

If I were a single rider , I would not always shout, it is only when there is a group in tow , that the backwards warning needs to be issued.

In a spin, if a rider comes off and is injured, the first question of the inquiry is always ''was the hole called ? '' . If not, the guy on front is told off for not notifying the group of the danger.

thats is what is engrained into club riders.

CLub riders experienceing spurious riding in sportives, non formative and un predictable behvoiur is equally stressing.

In basic touring in large groups, unpredicatble behaviour causes accidents.

am sure everyone will have a great day, and I guess follow the best behavours that u see on the day and ride as predicatable as u can, if u see a danger ahead dont be afraid to call it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭HivemindXX

Vivienne23 wrote: »
    I'm still nervous about doing the cycle though have to admit , I know people say there are all sorts if cyclists but would there be people in my speed/or lack thereof category ? Chances are I may come in very last my avg speed would be approx 18/19kmph over 30k/40k cycles (figures from cycles I did this weekend ) thanks for any info !

I think you will be fine. First of all, because there is such a huge number of cyclists you will be around other people most of the time and this tends to speed you up. You should aim to start earlier rather than later since this means you will have a lot of late starters passing you during the day and speeding you up a little. I don't mean you need to be setting out at dawn but try not to be one of the last people to head out. You don't need to be in the sort of group people are talking about here to benefit, simply filtering up or back in a giant mass of cyclists will help you out a lot.

Secondly there really are people of all abilities and body types. I can't find them on the official page any more but if you can find the photographs from last year you'll see there were people still coming in at 8pm. If you start at 8am, even allowing two hours for fruit cake and tea along the way, this is still an avegage speed of just over 17kph.

Thanks for that info , been looking through youtube videos of the ROK and everyone seems to be professional , think I'm listening to too much of the " your trying the ring if Kerry , do you realise how far that is ? You won't be able for that" I have set it as a personal challenge as I'm 30 this year and so is the ROK, I saw it as quite fitting :)

I'm from limerick so gonna drive down that morning at 5.30 (it's just less than an hours drive ) register up and try and be on the road for 7am , that's an excellent point about not starting last which I was thinking of !

I hope to god it isn't windy on the day :)

register up and try and be on the road for 7am

Hi... don't think there is any Registrations on the morning of the 6th. You'll have to Register the night before... or have you're Charity send you your Reg Details / Bike Tag.

I done it for the first time last year and had no trouble. The crowd just brings you along...

TIP: make sure you bring some sort of Drink Supplements to give you energy and/ or stop cramp. Cramp was and is my major worry...

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭PandyAndy

So far since registering back in March I've done one 60km cycle which was on Sunday on a mountain bike in roughly 4 hours which fits with my 14hr estimate for the day :) I figure I'll be grand but probably knackered.
    Thanks for that info , been looking through youtube videos of the ROK and everyone seems to be professional , think I'm listening to too much of the " your trying the ring if Kerry , do you realise how far that is ? You won't be able for that" I have set it as a personal challenge as I'm 30 this year and so is the ROK, I saw it as quite fitting :)

I'm from limerick so gonna drive down that morning at 5.30 (it's just less than an hours drive ) register up and try and be on the road for 7am , that's an excellent point about not starting last which I was thinking of !

I hope to god it isn't windy on the day :)

That's the spirit, Vivienne!

Pandyandy we will hold up the back with great pride :), ill be on the shiny new bike but no legs to push it !

Masala, it says on the rok website you can collect your bike tag between 5.30 and 8am on the 6th so hopefully that's right

Masala, it says on the rok website you can collect your bike tag between 5.30
    and 8am on the 6th so hopefully that's right

My apologies... I didn't know that! That handy- might even avail of that myself!

Yep they need to do that for people travelling, just seen also on the website that registration is now 97% full , and based on trends it will be closing 14th June , so if ye know anyone thinking of doing it might be best to let them know,

Do I need insurance for the event do you think?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

How are the ROK road surfaces at the moment? Last year most of it was a nice and smooth and looked brand new so lovely to cycle on. How is holding up a year later as I thought the very good road quality made a huge difference on the day?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

Yep they need to do that for people travelling, just seen also on the website that registration is now 97% full , and based on trends it will be closing 14th June , so if ye know anyone thinking of doing it might be best to let them know,

Do I need insurance for the event do you think?

Might be best to register asap like today, they are limiting numbers to 8,500 for health and safety reasons. Loads of info about signing on details location etc in this thread or on their facebook page, and they're organising groups for new/newish cyclists to join up and do the ring together.
    Insurance is recommended but once folks take it easy and enjoy the day not an essential.

https://www.facebook.com/events/427566967318243/

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭detones

Quick q. I got a sponsorship card from one of the designated charities. I'm still collecting but is that my spot booked on the spin as I believe they will be looking after registration?

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Tomred13

detones wrote: »
    Quick q. I got a sponsorship card from one of the designated charities. I'm still collecting but is that my spot booked on the spin as I believe they will be looking after registration?

Hi Detones
    Am in the same boat as yourself, as far as i know once you get the sponsorship card in the post your registered by the charity and your bike number is issued to you after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭PandyAndy

Pandyandy we will hold up the back with great pride :), ill be on the shiny new bike but no legs to push it !

Masala, it says on the rok website you can collect your bike tag between 5.30 and 8am on the 6th so hopefully that's right

With whips in hand to give the stragglers some encouragement!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭njburke

Just registered this morning by filling out the online form, I put off registering until I was a bit more confident that I could complete the course, last nights cycle convinced me that I can.

this time last year I filled out a form for the bike to work scheme , its taken me the year to get the fitness to a reasonable level, I've lost weight, quit smoking and developed a tan on 1/3rd of my body since then.

I'll be doing it with a couple of brothers, I doubt I'll match the pace of the younger fitter one.

Looks like we'll be using the camper van for accommodation, any tips on a campsite ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,382 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

That never works !!!! :D

Wexford Wheelers .com
    true enough (got towed by enough on big sportives)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

njburke wrote: »
    Just registered this morning by filling out the online form, I put off registering until I was a bit more confident that I could complete the course, last nights cycle convinced me that I can.

this time last year I filled out a form for the bike to work scheme , its taken me the year to get the fitness to a reasonable level, I've lost weight, quit smoking and developed a tan on 1/3rd of my body since then.

I'll be doing it with a couple of brothers, I doubt I'll match the pace of the younger fitter one.

Looks like we'll be using the camper van for accommodation, any tips on a campsite ?

Ah fair play for registering :)

Their are 4 camping grounds listed below with links to the contacts that you should contact asap.

~ Flemings Whitebridge
    ~ Flesk Camping, Muckross Road
    ~ White Villa Lissivigeen
    ~ Fossa Camping.

All 4 would get you to the starting point by bicycle within minutes. Nice way to limber up before setting off.

Hope that helps in some way,
    kerry4sam

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭merc230ce

I'm not overly bothered about pace but would like to do it in similar or slightly less time than last year (6.5 hours).

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Mr.Fred

What's the average finishing time for this event? I'd probably be around the 2hour mark for a 60km spin but I doubt I'd have the endurance for 180km in the saddle. I'll pass this year but definitely one for the calender next year. :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement