Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ring of Kerry 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Registration is closing tomorrow, Wed 12th June 2013 as per the ROK Cycle Facebook page.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

merc230ce wrote: »
    :D

What? :D

Well I'd hardly want to end up taking longer than last year, now would I? :)

Not sure about other people, but I find I get tired quicker if I'm riding at a pace a lot lower than what I'm used to. For me, this pace is around 28-32km/h, which would be around a 6 hour total.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Soarer

First the first time ever I used a cadence sensor the other day, and must say it made a huge difference#.
    Kept the rotation at around 75 as best I could and found the legs lasted longer than they usually would (would normally drop the cogs and power on).

# - Might've been in my head, but whatever works eh?!

Soarer wrote: »
    First the first time ever I used a cadence sensor the other day, and must say it made a huge difference#.
    Kept the rotation at around 75 as best I could and found the legs lasted longer than they usually would (would normally drop the cogs and power on).

# - Might've been in my head, but whatever works eh?!

75 is still fairly low. 80-90 is usually the magic range.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Soarer

Something to aim for the next time. Would normally be well down in the 60's I'd imagine.

• Advertisement

Soarer wrote: »
    Something to aim for the next time. Would normally be well down in the 60's I'd imagine.

It's just getting into the habit really and finding a balance between a low enough cadence to work on leg power and a high enough cadence to work on the heart.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 winterwarden

Registered today for it. Looking forward to it. I'll likely be riding solo so I hope people don't mind having someone tag along.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

Registered today for it. Looking forward to it. I'll likely be riding solo so I hope people don't mind having someone tag along.
    The RoK organising committee are encouraging solo/new riders to get together and form groups on the day. If you go to their facebook page you can leave messages and make arrangements to meet up and enjoy the day with others.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 winterwarden

The RoK organising committee are encouraging solo/new riders to get together and form groups on the day. If you go to their facebook page you can leave messages and make arrangements to meet up and enjoy the day with others.

I saw that post, just not sure yet what time I'll be starting off. I'll have to look for a group on the day and see how it goes from there.

I'll be camping in Caherdaniel and getting a lift to the start so dependant on that for timing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Robxxx7

I've heard that registration will close at 12pm tomorrow .. so if you're not registered yet might be best to do so by midday tomorrow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭rayman1

My first time doing this spin. The map shows 2 food stops, the first after 72km but are there any water stops in between as I usually only carry one water bottle.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭Masala

The map shows 2 food stops, the first after 72km but are there any water
    stops in between as I usually only carry one water bottle.

Yes... there is Water stops along the way... but no real method to them. Killorglin on 23kms is the first...another 'further on somewhere along a footpath' etc.

My advice is bring 2 x Water bottles and make sure you throw in a supplement (High5 eg) into them ... could be all in the head..but I found they help the muscles !

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭ashdale5

Signed up last night and I'm absolutely bricking it now.

Did 80k last Sunday on a reasonably flat route and I found it very tough.

I think the hills are going to kill me on the ROK :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

rayman1 wrote: »
    My first time doing this spin. The map shows 2 food stops, the first after 72km but are there any water stops in between as I usually only carry one water bottle.

Most people also stop at Sneem for lunch and ice cream in one of its many cafes and restaurants.

Most if not all smaller towns and villages will have water (and banana) stops. Also water (and bananas) on top of the two climbs.

As already mentioned but installing a second water bottle holder on your bike for the day is a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 aidehua

First year this year to do it...and I'm quickly discovering the bicycle spaces (all four of them) on the trains from Killarney to Dublin on the Sunday are all taken. Anyone have any ideas on how one would get back to Dublin with a bicycle without a car??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Mr.Fred

aidehua wrote: »
    First year this year to do it...and I'm quickly discovering the bicycle spaces (all four of them) on the trains from Killarney to Dublin on the Sunday are all taken. Anyone have any ideas on how one would get back to Dublin with a bicycle without a car??

I'm sure there'll be plenty of folks going back up to Dublin with space on their rack. Get chatting to folks when you're down there.

The other alternative would be to cycle back :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭letape

Anyone have any ideas on how one would get back to Dublin with a bicycle without a car??

Cycle!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭2 Wheels Good

Looks like the registration is closed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭HivemindXX

On the Cork/Dublin train there is usually more space in the guards van than the booking form would indicate. You could check with IE, probably you'd have to phone the station in Killarney and talk to someone there to verify there will be a guards van with spaces. If they say there is then it will be first come first served and could very easily fill up quickly so get to the station early!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

Maybe able to help getting your bike back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭detones

A chap i know through work is doing this and has raised a lot of Money €600ish (much much more than me by the way, I only started yesterday) for one of the charities. He told me as he raised so much he's going to use some of the money to cover his petrol from Dublin, I think and told him it's effectively stealing. Thought?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

Looks like the registration is closed

To that's it? no chance of a late entry?

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭cw girl

detones wrote: »
    A chap i know through work is doing this and has raised a lot of Money €600ish (much much more than me by the way, I only started yesterday) for one of the charities. He told me as he raised so much he's going to use some of the money to cover his petrol from Dublin, I think and told him it's effectively stealing. Thought?

I agree with you, bad form on his part

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Stealing yes.
    If I'd given him money, I'd want it back and just hand over to charity myself

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭merc230ce

ford2600 wrote: »
    Stealing yes.
    If I'd given him money, I'd want it back and just hand over to charity myself

Hmm. Wouldn't be too comfortable with this either.
    Why stop at petrol? Have a couple of nice meals and an overnight in a hotel too, I hear the Muckross Park is nice!

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭lecker Hendl

sure it's no different to people these days having quizzes so they can go climb Kilimanjaro for charity only to purchase flights and hotels and have a nice holiday.

Ok, I have accomodation sorted in Kemare. Where would be good to park in Killarney on the day? I'd rather start and finish in Killarney with the masses rather than finish in Kenmare.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭HivemindXX

sure it's no different to people these days having quizzes so they can go climb Kilimanjaro for charity only to purchase flights and hotels and have a nice holiday.

I don't think it is the same. Those things might be have a dubious balance between "charity" and "free holiday" but people who sponsor those adventure holiday charity events at least know what is going on. The person raising the money doesn't get to go "ah sure I raised an awful lot I think I'll upgrade to first class at the charities expense".

How would this person even achieve this? Surely they have sponsorship cards with amounts written on them. The amount handed in surely has to tie back. Do they intend to hand over less and claim someone didn't pay or tell the charity they are keeping some of them money as a little bonus for being so good?

In case it's not obvious I think it's a crappy thing to do. If the person wasn't willing to pay for the fuel out of their own pocket then they shouldn't have signed up. No amount of money raised entitles them to unilaterally decide to just keep some of it.

HivemindXX wrote: »
    How would this person even achieve this? Surely they have sponsorship cards with amounts written on them. The amount handed in surely has to tie back. Do they intend to hand over less and claim someone didn't pay or tell the charity they are keeping some of them money as a little bonus for being so good?

From what i know this chap got around 100 people to sponsor him, as the official card only has 30 places for entries he must have made up sheets or something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭dogsears

Ok, I have accomodation sorted in Kemare. Where would be good to park in Killarney on the day? I'd rather start and finish in Killarney with the masses rather than finish in Kenmare.

Isn't the departure point a car park in the town now (New Street?) instead of out by the racetrack? A fair few spaces will probably be taken up with ROK related admin etc but from memory its a pretty big car park. So maybe get there mighty early to beat the masses and park there?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement