Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ring of Kerry 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 bstack

Just missed out on registration, gutted! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Soarer

Since it was he that signed up with the charity, then it's he that wanted to do the cycle so all monies should go to the charity. Like if he registered direct, he'd have to pay the €60 and his own petrol.

If the charity cold called him asking him to do it on their behalf, then I think a small bit of personal expenses like petrol should be allowed.

Sounds like this guy signed up to cover his expenses.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

bstack wrote: »
    Just missed out on registration, gutted! :(

I am sure you will find someone on here that has registered but now cannot make it and will let you take their spot. I believe a lot of people did this last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 bstack

Missed registration by 20 minutes, have been training for 3 months, would gladly pay registration fee to someone who can't make it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,264 ✭✭✭ratracer

Missed registration by 20 minutes, have been training for 3 months, would gladly pay registration fee to someone who can't make it

I don't mean this in a bad mannered way in any way, so please don't take it that way, but if you had been training for this event for the last three months, why did you wait until the very last day to try to register? Surely even last week you must have known whether you were going to be up for the event?

And this is a general question for all those on other forums FB etc who are now bemoaning the fact that they have missed registration.

Have you tried the charities, are they also closed now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

Registration closed. It's full up folks. Roll on the 6th of July.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭liam7831

Why didn't you register during the three months of training?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Registration closed. It's full up folks. Roll on the 6th of July.

:o Oh Good God I don't know what I have landed myself in for, a fupping 180km cycle around the Ring! Will be an experience anyways if nothing else.
    Confidence might arrive on the few days leading up to the 6th as it sure ain't there right now!

Wishing Everyone well from here now until ROK 2013 6th July :) Will be wearing my boardsie gear that day I'd imagine. Might see a few others too hopefully.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Axel Lamp

kerry4sam wrote: »
    :o Oh Good God I don't know what I have landed myself in for, a fupping 180km cycle around the Ring! Will be an experience anyways if nothing else.
    Confidence might arrive on the few days leading up to the 6th as it sure ain't there right now!

Wishing Everyone well from here now until ROK 2013 6th July :) Will be wearing my boardsie gear that day I'd imagine. Might see a few others too hopefully.

But sure with the times you were doing in your training log you'll be around in 5 hours

• Registered Users Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Soarer

I'd check with the charities. They might have been designated a certain amount and even though the official number is met, the charities might still have a few places to fill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,538 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Try the charities, they will send out a registration form, you send it back and you should get a registration card for the race and a sponsors card.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 john23rd

The Wicklow Peaks tour is weekend before the Kerry. Starts in Naas on 30th. great training spin before the kerry

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭blahblah06

Hi lads
    I signed up via charity but won't be able to make it.
    Don't know if someone can use my entry?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Axel Lamp wrote: »
    But sure with the times you were doing in your training log you'll be around in 5 hours

My training was going real well Axel Lamp, was delighted with myself tbh! Since I was thrown off my bike by a f***wit driver who was late going to work and didn't pay heed to the basic ROTD I've been injured.

Right now I have sciatica that frightens me some days with tingles down my legs; even woke up a few nights completely numb down one leg. I've had my confidence knocked to fupping shreds after being bullied and harassed in a workplace I was volunteering in. Combine those factors and I am nervous about this personal challenge, but looking forward to completing this massive personal challenge all the same :)

If I push myself too much then I could do irreparable damage to my back and for what?!
    I have to pace myself; have to proceed with extra caution and I have to not care less about the time of my completion.
    Yes my training was going well pre November 4th 2012, but not so much since then and I won't be completing it in around 5hrs that's a certainty, but it will be completed by me though!

Thanks,
    kerry4sam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Sorry to hear your woes girl.
    Focus on getting around this time, sod times. Take plenty of breaks to stretch the back. Get a massage in kenmare. Maybe tilt your bars up a smidgen.

Any idea of numbers for this year?

Dónal wrote: »
    Any idea of numbers for this year?

8,000 have registered.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

Can you register on the day lads? Haven't been following this cycle like I should be :(

Feck it didn't realise there was a closing date! Damn it all anyway

Sorry to hear about your troubles kerry4sam, best of luck with the ring, I'm sure you'll manage it no bother

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Officially, no

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Mr.Fred

Can you register on the day lads? Haven't been following this cycle like I should be :(

Feck it didn't realise there was a closing date! Damn it all anyway

Sorry to hear about your troubles kerry4sam, best of luck with the ring, I'm sure you'll manage it no bother

They only said online registration had closed :D So you might blag a number. Wear a Kerry Jersey

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭Masala

Whilst the Official site is closed... I believe if you approach the Charities direct they can still take you. I have a feeling that the organisers want to get the Charities numbers up and so they have left this as a last option to join.

Worth a try... and post back if successful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭LeftBlank

Masala wrote: »
    Whilst the Official site is closed... I believe if you approach the Charities direct they can still take you. I have a feeling that the organisers want to get the Charities numbers up and so they have left this as a last option to join.

Worth a try... and post back if successful

The organisers stated on Facebook that the 8,000 includes the charities allocations and that they are full too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

A friend signed up yesterday through a charity. Reckon some are sitting on registrations

LeftBlank wrote: »
    The organisers stated on Facebook that the 8,000 includes the charities allocations and that they are full too.

Interesting to note that all their official PR info says they will have 8500 doing the event but on FB they say they are stopping registrations at 8000 so there is a 500 buffer in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭luapenak

I was half thinking of doing this if the weather is decent that weekend. Obviously entries are closed. Is there any problem with just turning up and cycling the route and not using any of the stops? I noted on the website that some of the roads are closed, would they be stopping cyclists without official entries from cycling these roads?

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Uberbeamerman

Can't imagine them being to lenient with people who do it unregistered.... I'd say it'd be akin to doing something like the Wicklow 200 unregistered...you'd be on your own in terms of servicing, support, food stops etc....and yes from what I understand they're closing off roads at strategic locations around the ring for the purposes of traffic management, don't think they'd be too happy to see unregistered cyclists trying to get through

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭Masala

Is there any problem with just turning up and cycling the route and not using
    any of the stops?

...I would say it would be frowned upon from the rest of us who 'paid' into the day. There are Stewards, Photographers, Helpers, generous Kerry people filling water bottles on their garden walls etc. All helping out FREE OF CHARGE in the knowledge that there are charities benefiting somewhere along the line. Why should the Steward stand there all day on a bad bend to ensure your safety and you having a free day out. Personally - I would not be happy with it as you can see from my post. Its against the spirit of the event...simple as!

Also... I believe that there will be more diligence from the organisers this year to stop this type of thing after last years 'feeling' that there was a lot of 'freeloading' this going on last year. I am hearing about a 'Check Point' being organised...but that could be scaremonging !

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭luapenak

I'd say it'd be akin to doing something like the Wicklow 200 unregistered...you'd be on your own in terms of servicing, support, food stops etc....
    Sure that would be no bother at all, I'm sure there are plenty of coffee and other shops along the way where you could just buy food, drinks etc.. without the hassle of the queues.
    ...I would say it would be frowned upon from the rest of us who 'paid' into the day.
    Entries closed, couldn't pay if I wanted to. Still, only a thought at this stage

luapenak wrote: »
    Sure that would be no bother at all, I'm sure there are plenty of coffee and other shops along the way where you could just buy food, drinks etc.. without the hassle of the queues.

Entries closed, couldn't pay if I wanted to. Still, only a thought at this stage

If you really want to do it find someone who has registered but cannot attend via Facebook or this forum. Also contact all the charities as it would appear some still have spots.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭letape

...I would say it would be frowned upon from the rest of us who 'paid' into the day. There are Stewards, Photographers, Helpers, generous Kerry people filling water bottles on their garden walls etc. All helping out FREE OF CHARGE in the knowledge that there are charities benefiting somewhere along the line. Why should the Steward stand there all day on a bad bend to ensure your safety and you having a free day out. Personally - I would not be happy with it as you can see from my post. Its against the spirit of the event...simple as!

Also... I believe that there will be more diligence from the organisers this year to stop this type of thing after last years 'feeling' that there was a lot of 'freeloading' this going on last year. I am hearing about a 'Check Point' being organised...but that could be scaremonging !

Are you serious - you would frown on other cyclists turning up and cycling on the day on public roads!

I have cycled this event for the last five years or so, didn't register this year but may still turn up and cycle with friends who are going down. I have always made a significant contribution to the event and would expect I'd do the same this year, albeit without a number on my back.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement