Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ring of Kerry 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Craig06

You should get a good quality chamois in your shorts and wear it next to the skin and avoid extra layers as they'll cause friction and rub. You shouldn't need a gel saddle cover if you do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Uberbeamerman

The most important thing with deciding what to wear for the ROK is to wear it out while out training and see what it feels like. If you decide to get new clothes/a saddle, start using them as soon as possible because any unfamiliar gear is going to be uncomfortable at the start....its a bit like buying a new pair of runners or something like that, the initial wearing in period can be uncomfortable....best to get it over with before running a marathon!

Ideally a pair of cycling shorts with a chamois and a breathable cycling top...not sure what the weather's going to be like for the ROK, but something like a vest, short sleeved top, and a light rain jacket (if things get a bit chilly/wet) usually suffice, summer cycling gloves are a good idea also. From a food point of view bananas are grand, and the food stops are usually overflowing with food so I wouldn't really worry about lugging food around (bring a few nutrigrain bars or bananas alright just in case).

I'd be more concerned with bringing things like a spare tube (or two), pump and tyre levers as its a good idea to be self sufficient along the ring and try and keep the service crews as free as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Listrydude

Some great pointers there Uber! Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,264 ✭✭✭ratracer

merc230ce wrote: »
    Gels scare me - I've heard too many stories about bad reactions (the messy kind!)

Gel saddles, on the other hand, are the business. I did a 140k cycle last year, having only been cycling (sporadically) for about 3 months beforehand. I wore 2 pairs of cycle shorts and used a gel saddle cover - bliss! :D

Wouldn't recommend two pairs of shorts, this will cause friction and sores. Just use a good chamois cream before you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Jovetic

Vaseline?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

Jovetic wrote: »
    Vaseline?

Bepanthen Moisturizer i find the best, Any Baby Cream really.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Soarer

BailMeOut wrote: »
    This is the one I have - 'Pakajak'. Its tiny

Pricey yokes them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

Jovetic wrote: »
    Also what to eat for breakfast on the day of the race. I'm staying in a B&B but I doubt the Bean an Tí will be up at half 5 :p The website recommends

A full fry-up if you can get it. Keeps you going for the day until you get back. The B&B I'm staying in does fried breakfasts from 6am onwards.
    Gels scare me - I've heard too many stories about bad reactions (the messy kind!)
    Most gels are fine on the stomach. It's just getting the right one to suit you is the issue. They definitely do work though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Soarer wrote: »
    Pricey yokes them.

I bought mine in a bike shop in UK for a £10. Thought that was good value as it is a pretty decent jacket.

BailMeOut wrote: »
    I bought mine in a bike shop in UK for a £10. Thought that was good value as it is a pretty decent jacket.

Those "pakajaks" seem to be up around the £35 - €40 mark. A tenner would be grand like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭gdavis

can someone please tell me how steep or how much of a climb,this molls gap is,as i just attempted to go from tallaght,through old court and up the hills to the dog and cats home and id say i was a few strides short of a massive cardiac arrest!

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭detones

gdavis wrote: »
    can someone please tell me how steep or how much of a climb,this molls gap is,as i just attempted to go from tallaght,through old court and up the hills to the dog and cats home and id say i was a few strides short of a massive cardiac arrest!

Ah don't worry about it. I have lost count of the amount of posts on this thread about who high and how steep the climbs are. Just go out and enjoy the day. Thats my plan. From reading this thread if you have done any kind of training you'll far better than most. A part of me was gonna try and tear around and try come in under 6hrs but the spirit of the event seems to be to have a bit a crack eat some cake enjoy the views. I'll settle for a time under 6.05 instead ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭HivemindXX

gdavis wrote: »

There are quite a few web sites where you can put in your route and see what the climbs are like.

Here's Tallaght(ish) to Mt. Venus Road which seems to be what you did:
    http://ridewithgps.com/routes/2711148

That's around 6km and 127m of climbing. Your route is pretty flat for quite a while and then gets steep near the end.

Here's Molls Gap:
    http://ridewithgps.com/routes/2711152

That's around 9km and 288m of climbing.

So, the good news is that Molls Gap is less steep than the steep part of your cycle but it goes on a lot longer. The bad news is that it's steeper than your cycle over all and it goes on a bit longer (and you'll already have cycled a long way by then). Adding to the good news side, hills really knock it out of you when you are starting but you get better at them quite quickly. There's a shop at the top of Molls Gap that sells ice cream, tea and cakes. Once you get there it's (basically) all downhill to Killarney / BBQ / a nice nap. If you have to walk you won't be the only one, I saw plenty walking up there last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭gdavis

thanks a million for that hivemind..... i think!! i have put plenty of km's in inlast few weeks but climbs were put off til this week and they are killing me.i will keep battling on,my thighs feel like they are gonna explode when climbing,the fact they [my thighs] havent had this type of excercise in 20 odd years doesnt help i would imagine,and i think after a hard days graft its not easy either,they are my excuses anyway!

Got another 52k (every k counts!) under my belt there. A bit weak as I had a bit of an op last week and I'm supposed to relax for a fortnight. Weather is too nice though!

Did the Longstown Hill route that I'd meant to do the last time. Tough enough. The road surface didn't help, but it definitely gives me confidence for the ROK.

Get another few hundred k in the legs between this and then and we're away for slates.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Got another cycle in this evening. Going doing a long cycle Sunday i.e over 100k.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭WUFF

Just checked web site...online reg is closed.

Does anyone know if you can register the evening before or on the day?

Failing that if I just stuck the entry fee in a charity box will I be able to cycle the event without official number/tag?

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Uberbeamerman

WUFF wrote: »

Failing that if I just stuck the entry fee in a charity box will I be able to cycle the event without official number/tag?

Registration for the event has closed, numbers have been capped for health and safety. New registration on the evening before, or the day of the cycle is not taking place. Checkpoints will be in at the entrance to all food stops and only those with bike tags will be allowed through. Sorry Wuff :(

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Listrydude

Try some of the charities associated with the cycle, they may have a few spots left?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

WUFF wrote: »

One could always throw a few bob to one of the charities, bedeck themselves in the official jersey to minimise disdainful glances from those with numbers for €50, and imbibe at ones own expense at any of the "unofficial" stops along the way.

They're public roads, and net result the same, youve supported the charities.
    Get a bit more organised for next year!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭merc230ce

Has anyone heard back from their charity with their cycle number or anything?
    I got my sponsorship cards (from Irish Autism) a couple of months ago but nothing since then. I don't want to be ringing hassling them, just thought I'd check with you lot first.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭De Bhál

merc230ce wrote: »
    Has anyone heard back from their charity with their cycle number or anything?
    I got my sponsorship cards (from Irish Autism) a couple of months ago but nothing since then. I don't want to be ringing hassling them, just thought I'd check with you lot first.

did you send the sponsorship card back with the money yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

I rang the charity,with which I had registered, last week. I told them, that I was returning the sponsorship card, with my money. They said, that was fine and that I would receive my number and necessary tags by post. I was told, that this would mean, that I wouldn't have to register in Killarney. I was also told, that even if I was returning the sponsorship money beforehand, I would still receive my tags.
    It was a different charity to the one, you mention, but I'm sure, they all have the same system.
    I did send the money, asked for a receipt, haven't got it yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭luohaoran

For those looking to go round on the day but not having registered, there was a comment on FB by the organisers that numerous checkpoints would be in place on the route, and those without a tag would not be allowed continue.

Not sure how that would work in practice, but there you have it.

Was the "nearly full" warning on the main website, or only on FB? I don't recall seeing it. Nor was it obvious to me that FB is now the main source of useful info!! (until it was too late that is)
    Like a lot of people I'd say, I wanted to wait and see how the training went first, and thought that three weeks before the event wouldn't have been leaving it too late. Doh!

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭merc230ce

De Bhál wrote: »
    did you send the sponsorship card back with the money yet?

I didn't! To be honest I've only just started getting pledges (I find it hard to get people interested in donating at all, much less for something that's weeks / months away) and haven't collected any money at all to date. The card says 'All sponsorship cards and monies must be returned by the 31st of July' so I didn't realise that I had to do it sooner. I kinda thought I'd hand over the money on the weekend.

Is that definitely the arrangement, that you hand over sponsorship money and then you get your number? Seems odd - surely the overall level of donations would be greater if they gave you more time...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

luohaoran wrote: »
    For those looking to go round on the day but not having registered, there was a comment on FB by the organisers that numerous checkpoints would be in place on the route, and those without a tag would not be allowed continue.
    !

Can't see how they will do that on a public road. Probably just trying to keep non signed up away on the day.
    Charities were still signing up people till last weekend, friend signed up after deadline.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

They're public roads
    Not this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Guys this is pretty simple.

While it is a public road the organisers have managed to get a very very rare closed road for the event. IMHO it would be meanspirited for freeloaders to take advantage of this.

If you want a cycle in Kerry on this weekend then there are dozens of world class routes. Do everyone a favour and choose one of these.

Re. charities.
    I signed up through Pieta House, and along with my cards came a letter saying to have the money and cards returned by June 21st to receive my tags.
    This isn't on as far as I'm concerned, as I've no intention of collecting money until after I do the cycle.
    So I rang them to explain same, plus the fact that they're losing out on 2 further weeks of sponsorship hunting, and the girl on the phone said that there's nothing to worry about and the tags will be sent out regardless. Don't know what that entails as regards having to register beforehand or not.

Make of all that what you will.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭luohaoran

ROK ON wrote: »
    Guys this is pretty simple.

While it is a public road the organisers have managed to get a very very rare closed road for the event. IMHO it would be meanspirited for freeloaders to take advantage of this.

If you want a cycle in Kerry on this weekend then there are dozens of world class routes. Do everyone a favour and choose one of these.

I don't like being made to feel like I've done something wrong or silly.
    I've prepared for this event, organised accomodation and time off. And was really looking forward to taking part, with the crowd, for the buzz in the main event.
    I didn't follow the link to facebook, and so this shut off has come as a bit of a surprise to me. I didn't want to register early as I was unsure I'd be fit in time. I felt three weeks in advance of the event wasn't "leaving it late".
    Having learned that registration is closed, I'd still like to take part. I've no intention of "freeloading", and will take my own food and support kit.

So enough of the self righteous preaching about how we should have registered early and how we shouldn't be "freeloading".

I'm sure lots of people have very good reasons, for having missed the boat, but still want to be there.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement