Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ring of Kerry 2013

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

burger1979 wrote: »
    How long does it take to complete the cycle? 180Kms, would an average cyclist that does about 100Kms a week get it done in 9-10 hours? I am going to do it but wondering if i should drive back to Dublin after it or stay the night.

last year was 1st doing it, left at 7.30 rolled in about 4pm. Spent a fair while at stops.

We drove back to dublin after, driver decided despite having b and b paid for on sat night. Needless to say we hadnt even to limerick before she realised it was a stupid idea to go back. this year i will def be staying down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

Any truth in the rumours about a minimum amount required for sponsorship for this years entry ? Most of my mates just donate/pay 50 euro but one if them heard that this year you will have to generate at least 250 in sponsorship.

Left at 7.20 last year and rolled in about 2.40 , hadn't done that distance before and bar suffering on molls gap it isn't too bad. I stopped in kenmare at last food stop which was a mistake for me, when I got back on bike legs went on strike :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Doesn't need to be that long! 2 hrs were drinking when I got home!
    12 hrs is very possible for me.
    If your on your limit to get around then stay down, hard to get accomodation to give early breakfast on day with crowds who book ahead.
    Kenmare is a very good idea, but if I started from there I'd probably do Ring of Beara, way nicer route, but that of thread I suppose
    burger1979 wrote: »
    Thanks for all the replies folks. I am going to be upping the km's in the months leading up to it. I was just wondering if anyone had done it and then traveled quite a way to get home (ford2600 - 21 hours out of the whole day doesn't sound appealing to be honest). I would like to stay the whole weekend but like with everything else cost is an issue. ROK ON your suggestion of starting and finishing in different parts sounds good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Another vote here for commencing in Kenmare or Molls Gap!

I am also considering starting & finishing in either Kenmare (my local home from home) or Molls Gap. Not entirely sure why, but I am kinda daunted about cycling down from Molls Gap with several hundreds of others and would feel safer cycling down from Molls Gap with fewer cyclists.

Expectations are for increase in number of participants in 2013. Hope everyone is enjoying the preparations as much as I am :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭ratracer

So is there an official starting place/ time for this, or is it a case of it being a big day out on the bike, just head off from wherever, whenever you want? Are the food stops open all along the route all day?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

ratracer wrote: »
    So is there an official starting place/ time for this, or is it a case of it being a big day out on the bike, just head off from wherever, whenever you want? Are the food stops open all along the route all day?

You can start / end anywhere but you would have to drive to Killarney on the Friday evening to register and get your bike tag and number.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

Grassey wrote: »
    last year was 1st doing it, left at 7.30 rolled in about 4pm. Spent a fair while at stops.

We drove back to dublin after, driver decided despite having b and b paid for on sat night. Needless to say we hadnt even to limerick before she realised it was a stupid idea to go back. this year i will def be staying down.

Definitely worth staying over, and if you can arrive on the friday if possible, but mighty craic in Killarney after the cycle and the bbq and entertainment after the cycle is mighty. Outside the pubs in killarney there are many a cyclist, still in the lycra "rehydrating" lol. Hope you have booked accommodation as it's close to impossible to get anywhere close to the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

shaka wrote: »
    Any truth in the rumours about a minimum amount required for sponsorship for this years entry ? Most of my mates just donate/pay 50 euro but one if them heard that this year you will have to generate at least 250 in sponsorship.

Left at 7.20 last year and rolled in about 2.40 , hadn't done that distance before and bar suffering on molls gap it isn't too bad. I stopped in kenmare at last food stop which was a mistake for me, when I got back on bike legs went on strike :)

All kinds of rumours going around about entry fees and amounts to be raised through sponsorship, i have no problem with the entry fee as almost every other cycle in the country is run on this basis but setting a minimum amount to be raised by sponsorship would be grossly unfair as it's getting tougher and tougher to raise large amounts in these tough times.
    A lot of people also travel a fair distance, and stay overnight to enjoy the after party so all and all it's not a cheap weekend.
    Hopefully the RoK organizing committee will keep this in mind as they plan this years event.

Just booked a hotel for the two nights, I suppose I better get out on the bike now...looking forward to this weekend, 2 weeks after tour de burden, should be recovered in time..

• Registered Users Posts: 3 davidconroy60

Do any one of ye know where it starts from and at wat time

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

Heard a figure of 100 yo yo today , hope not . Donate 50 euro normally but 100 is steep if true

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭detones

Planning on doing this, like the Idea of Starting from Kenmare, at this stage its probably a better base, easier to get accomadation too. Would hope there is a bit of crack in Kenmare after and its not just restricted to Killarney!! Hoping to do this with a mate of mine but closer to date would be interested in seeing whcih Boardies will be going.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭WakeyTyke

Heard a figure of 100 yo yo today , hope not . Donate 50 euro normally but 100 is steep if true

I was also told from a cyclist friend in Kerry that the registration fee is going to be €100 this year due to the high number of cyclists who never returned any sponsorship money and basically cycled for free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭LeftBlank

My reading of it is that if you sign up through the main site, you will have to pay 100 euro but you can sign up directly with the charities and you won't have to pay a registration fee. I presume the thinking behind this is to cut down on the freeloaders and also to shift some of the responsibility for registering riders from the organisers to the charities.

WakeyTyke wrote: »
    I was also told from a cyclist friend in Kerry that the registration fee is going to be €100 this year due to the high number of cyclists who never returned any sponsorship money and basically cycled for free.

See, I'd happily pay/donate €50, but not €100. I'm gonna do the cycle regardless, if they don't want my contribution, or if its not enough, that's their choice.

ratracer wrote: »
    See, I'd happily pay/donate €50, but not €100. I'm gonna do the cycle regardless, if they don't want my contribution, or if its not enough, that's their choice.

Charities seem to be varying on what they require to register e.g. this one only requires 50 euro

http://www.southwestcounselling.ie/pages/CharityCycle.aspx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

WakeyTyke wrote: »

From what I can make out the organizers could not correlate properly those who collected using mycharity.ie and who cycled last year causing them to think these riders did not return sponsor cards (myself and every rider i know included).

Ask them what is the difference is between the number of cyclists and the number of sponsor cards returned plus individual mycharity.ie sponsors to see what this is. I have asked but they do not reply! Many mycharity sponsors were also for larger groups of cyclists so I do not believe the issue was anywhere near as big as some folks make out.

I paid my fifty euro the night before at registration but yet still got numerous mails saying I hadn't, Would make you wonder is it terrible admin or are funds resting in an account ala father ted! :) think they will make a mess of things and lose a pile of money if they charge 100 euro, people will just cycle it and pay diddly squat...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,918 ✭✭✭billyhead

detones wrote: »
    Planning on doing this, like the Idea of Starting from Kenmare, at this stage its probably a better base, easier to get accomadation too. Would hope there is a bit of crack in Kenmare after and its not just restricted to Killarney!! Hoping to do this with a mate of mine but closer to date would be interested in seeing whcih Boardies will be going.

I see on your profile that you live in the NCD area (so do I). I was also planning to do this but not if tis a €100 only if its €50. If its not €100 perhaps we could gather a few other lads together (share the petrol costs)that might be heading down for it and car pool from Dublin. I already have accomodation ooked for 2 nights:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭lescol

Another charity that will be glad to see anyone register for, with no minimum to pay:- http://cunamhiveragh.com/ring-of-kerry-cycle-2013/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

I paid my fifty euro the night before at registration but yet still got numerous mails saying I hadn't, Would make you wonder is it terrible admin or are funds resting in an account ala father ted! :) think they will make a mess of things and lose a pile of money if they charge 100 euro, people will just cycle it and pay diddly squat...

Had the exact same happen to me, and my thoughts exactly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

The 1st year I did it i raised 350 but after that I felt like a pain asking people for more money when I knew right well people were hard up for cash. So like a lot of you I just gave 50 euros out of my own pocket.

If they get all greedy ill just donate my 50 to a charity of my choice and cycle is for free. After all I never go to the food camps . I supply all my own food and just buy a cuppa in sneem and ice cream and that's it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭codie

Not even a banana???

It's probably just poor admin. As far as I know, the committee is small and made up of volunteers and 7000+ people is a lot to keep track of particularly when money was not required before the cycle and some were using mychairty.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭detones

billyhead wrote: »
    I see on your profile that you live in the NCD area (so do I). I was also planning to do this but not if tis a €100 only if its €50. If its not €100 perhaps we could gather a few other lads together (share the petrol costs)that might be heading down for it and car pool from Dublin. I already have accomodation ooked for 2 nights:D

Yeah good Idea, I'm in NCD alright, like yourself if it is €100 I won't bother, seem a ridiculous amount of money to pay/raise. I need to sort accomodation first, its still up in the Air, I was thinking of Incorportaing the spin into a holiday with the family but nothing set in stone yet. Sure we and other boardies could arrange travel plans closer to the event anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭HivemindXX

I don't follow the reasoning behind this rumoured increase. If they are concerned that people are not paying (I'm on the list of people who paid without the organisers realising it btw) I don't see how doubling the minimum entry will help. Surely this just means that any people who didn't pay before won't be paying twice as much next time.

This is just asking the people who are raising money for charity to raise more. Somehow trying to relate this to freeloaders is dishonest. If they really want to cut down on freeloaders they would require a minimum payment in advance, or at registration, as a deposit. If you paid the deposit you get a number/wristband/whatever and you get access to the food stops.

Raising the minimum to €100 makes this a pretty expensive event and would make me question participating. Trying to persuade me that they are being forced to do it because of those damn freeloaders is just insulting, especially when I know at least some of the supposed freeloading is down to organisational problems.

HivemindXX wrote: »
    If they really want to cut down on freeloaders they would require a minimum payment in advance, or at registration, as a deposit. If you paid the deposit you get a number/wristband/whatever and you get access to the food stops.

I think they are requiring the money to be paid in advance this time, which is really the way it should have been before this, imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

LeftBlank wrote: »
    Charities seem to be varying on what they require to register e.g. this one only requires 50 euro

http://www.southwestcounselling.ie/pages/CharityCycle.aspx

I rang these people this morning, spoke to a very nice lady, who told me, that if I registered with them and paid over 50 Euro, that they would be happy with that. So, that is what I'm going to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,497 ✭✭✭Masala

We as a family of Wife, 18yr old Son and myself were all talking of doing it this year....whether together as a family or separately with our own mates (presume that's what Son will want anyway!!!). But there is no way we will pay €300.

My thoughts is that (the the above poster) - I'll contact one of the local charities listed and offer €130-€150 for the 3 of us.

To be honest - the food stops are becoming more of a hassle than anything.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement