Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ring of Kerry 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭merc230ce

It seems like there's a major lack of trust at all levels here :(
    I don't know what went on in previous years (this is my first ROK) but there seems to be an awful lot of effort being put into deterring or catching out 'fraudsters'. Surely 99% of people enter into the spirit of the day, raise money and hand it over to charities - is all of this really necessary just for the sake of a few bad apples?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Soarer

luohaoran wrote: »
    I don't like being made to feel like I've done something wrong or silly.
    I've prepared for this event, organised accomodation and time off. And was really looking forward to taking part, with the crowd, for the buzz in the main event.
    I didn't follow the link to facebook, and so this shut off has come as a bit of a surprise to me. I didn't want to register early as I was unsure I'd be fit in time. I felt three weeks in advance of the event wasn't "leaving it late".
    Having learned that registration is closed, I'd still like to take part. I've no intention of "freeloading", and will take my own food and support kit.

So enough of the self righteous preaching about how we should have registered early and how we shouldn't be "freeloading".

I'm sure lots of people have very good reasons, for having missed the boat, but still want to be there.

So you organised time off, booked accommodation, and you were unsure that you'd make it? What about the people that were/are sure they'd make it but can't get accommodation? Do you plan on making the €60 donation?

Not trying to be preachy by any means, as I'm in no position to preach to anyone. AFAIK it was posted on the official site that entries were being cut at 8500. As soon as I saw that, I registered. When there's a "deadline", you can't take a chance.

IMHO of course.

luohaoran wrote: »

So enough of the self righteous preaching about how we should have registered early and how we shouldn't be "freeloading".

I'm sure lots of people have very good reasons for having missed the boat, but still want to be there.

I have to agree. I would even go so far as to say that if I was in your situation and donated €100 to one of the nominated charities, I'd feel quite entitled to have an aul banana or six.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭luohaoran

Soarer wrote: »
    So you organised time off, booked accommodation, and you were unsure that you'd make it? What about the people that were/are sure they'd make it but can't get accommodation? Do you plan on making the €60 donation?

Not trying to be preachy by any means, as I'm in no position to preach to anyone. AFAIK it was posted on the official site that entries were being cut at 8500. As soon as I saw that, I registered. When there's a "deadline", you can't take a chance.

IMHO of course.

Yes, I did organise time off (simple courtesy where I work, to do so), and accommodation is always tight, so yes of course I organised that up front to.
    I saw no deadline on the main site. (I'm not sure the number limit wasn't there, but I didn't see that either)
    I will take the time off, and will use the accommodation. I just won't be able to do the cycle. No I don't make the donation, if I don't get to cycle. Yes I will make the compulsory donation if I do get to register/ride. (@Soarer odd set of questions for someone who isn't preaching)

How do you preach by asking questions?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

How do you preach by asking questions?

Have you had unholy thoughts boy?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

The thing is, roads are CLOSED this year to people without a bike tag - they are not going to be "public roads". I'd imagine there would be a good chance of "slipping through", but I'd say it will be tightly regulated this year so good luck with it, for anyone who's thinking of just heading down for the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭derealbadger

The thing is, roads are CLOSED this year to people without a bike tag - they are not going to be "public roads". I'd imagine there would be a good chance of "slipping through", but I'd say it will be tightly regulated this year so good luck with it, for anyone who's thinking of just heading down for the day.

So no cars allowed on 187 km of Kerry's roads for the day seems far fetched

ford2600 wrote: »
    Have you had unholy thoughts boy?

You've no idea! :o

But since God does everything, it's obviously He made me think them. Bold God! ;)

Now, back on tpoic....

So no cars allowed on 187 km of Kerry's roads for the day seems far fetched

See here.

• Advertisement

Under what legal Authority/statutory instrument?
    Has permission being granted by a court?
    If road is no longer public, can for example locals drive? If so can they drink drive on what is now a semi public/private road?
    Can see reason for closure, but in trying to stop a few free loaders they seem to be opening a huge can of worms?
    If a cyclist has accident due to defect in road, who do they sue?
    What legal authority do persons do checks have? Etc etc
    Personally I've stopped doing ring, overrated and so many way nicer routes in Kerry alone.

The ordinary guy friendly feel to it, is unique though.

Organisers on many issues, which are as a result of it huge success, struggling to cope

Under what legal Authority/statutory instrument?
    Has permission being granted by a court?
    If road is no longer public, can for example locals drive? If so can they drink drive on what is now a semi public/private road?
    Can see reason for closure, but in trying to stop a few free loaders they seem to be opening a huge can of worms?
    If a cyclist has accident due to defect in road, who do they sue?
    What legal authority do persons do checks have? Etc etc
    Personally I've stopped doing ring, overrated and so many way nicer routes in Kerry alone.

The ordinary guy friendly feel to it, is unique though.

Organisers on many issues, which are as a result of it huge success, struggling to cope
    As far as I'm aware, the Gardaí will be stopping cyclists (only) that haven't got a bike tag, which, as far as I'm aware also, they have the power to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭derealbadger

As far as I'm aware, the Gardaí will be stopping cyclists (only) that haven't got a bike tag, which, as far as I'm aware also, they have the power to do.

On what grounds that sounds mad
    its a bleedin disgrace Joe

the Gardaí will be stopping cyclists (only) that haven't got a bike tag

So this is simply a measure to prevent 'freeloading'??

Honestly, was the problem really so great? Were there hundreds of people scoffing their heads off all day and contributing nothing?

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭lecker Hendl

I am going to absolutely ruin Moll's Gap in 3 weeks. I'm rearing to go now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

Re. charities.
    I signed up through Pieta House, and along with my cards came a letter saying to have the money and cards returned by June 21st to receive my tags.
    This isn't on as far as I'm concerned, as I've no intention of collecting money until after I do the cycle.
    So I rang them to explain same, plus the fact that they're losing out on 2 further weeks of sponsorship hunting, and the girl on the phone said that there's nothing to worry about and the tags will be sent out regardless. Don't know what that entails as regards having to register beforehand or not.

Make of all that what you will.

we signed with Pieta house as well but didn't get any letter with the sponsor cards, just a little compliment slip. when I asked Pieta about the bike tags she said she didn't know anything about them and thought we got them on the morning of cycle !!! there seems to be alot of confusion there.

merc230ce wrote: »
    Honestly, was the problem really so great? Were there hundreds of people scoffing their heads off all day and contributing nothing?
    Yes, actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

Yes, actually.

dont believe a word of it , I along with a large number of people were accused of not returning sponsorship card or paying money. I signed up and paid my fifty yo yo the night before yet received harassing emails over a number of months.

So do I believe we're there hundreds freeloading last year ? Hell no , there might of been some f#%ks at it but no where the numbers organisers claimed . It was very evident on the Facebook page that there were a lot of people who had same experience as me.

If the roads are actually closed which i wonder about this could lead to some dodgy cornering with some heroes taking stupid risks- hope not. Thought a court order was needed and hadn't noticed anything in papers.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭rash

Road closures are a function of County Councils, see the notice for last years event
    http://kerrycoco.ie/en/allservices/roads/roadclosures/archivedroadssection/title,7277,en.html
    Keep an eye on the kerrycoco.ie site for road closures for this year.

The following is from the roads act 1993
    2) (a) A person who uses a public road in contravention of an order made under subsection (1) shall, unless he is authorised in writing by the road authority to do so, be guilty of an offence.

(b) A person who obstructs or interferes with the holding of a road race or any other event or with the carrying out of works or any activity in respect of which an order under subsection (1) is in force shall be guilty of an offence.

If the same closures are in place this near, I think the only places they could legally have a checkpoint is between Fossa & Killorglin and from Moll Gap to Muckross as a full road closure was only in force on these sections.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭dogsears

Yes, actually.

I don't think the problem was that any freeloaders we're gobbling all the brack, it was more about the no contribution i.e. the charities didn't benefit from them.

And I don't think there were massive numbers of freeloaders but the organisers absolutely do. That's why they brought in the entrance fee, which after an initially disastrous rollout, they eventually got somewhere close to right.

But I think the speed with which the 8500 slots got filled, together with the extra numbers who'd register now and pay, if they could, (as is obvious from this thread), might well indicate that last year's 7000 or whatever it was was unlikely to be made up of too many people unwilling to make any contribution. So I think a lot of the strictness coming in this year is misguided.

As to the idea of Garda checkpoints to control admittance to the stretches of closed roads, or food stops, I really hope they don't actually do that. What a buzzkill that's gonna be.

• Advertisement

rash wrote: »
    Road closures are a function of County Councils, see the notice for last years event
    http://kerrycoco.ie/en/allservices/roads/roadclosures/archivedroadssection/title,7277,en.html
    Keep an eye on the kerrycoco.ie site for road closures for this year.

The following is from the roads act 1993
    2) (a) A person who uses a public road in contravention of an order made under subsection (1) shall, unless he is authorised in writing by the road authority to do so, be guilty of an offence.

(b) A person who obstructs or interferes with the holding of a road race or any other event or with the carrying out of works or any activity in respect of which an order under subsection (1) is in force shall be guilty of an offence.

If the same closures are in place this near, I think the only places they could legally have a checkpoint is between Fossa & Killorglin and from Moll Gap to Muckross as a full road closure was only in force on these sections.

I cycled the event last year, and many other years, and saw plenty cars on closed sections.
    Locals I presume. Are they closed in o e direction only? Does roads act allow for that?

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭crashoveroid

So your are saying that they are going to check 8000 bikes at each closure that's going to be some que.

I am going to absolutely ruin Moll's Gap in 3 weeks.

You mean it'll only take you three weeks to get up it? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭lecker Hendl

merc230ce wrote: »
    You mean it'll only take you three weeks to get up it? ;)

course record if some of the comments are anything to go by!

Re the cycle tags - I rang the charity that I registered with to find out what the story was. They just rang me back there to say that they would be receiving their allocation of tags at the end of the week and would send them out to all of their entrants. The guy said 'Don't mind all that about having to have the money returned by the 21st, that's only aul bull$**t' :D He said if I could have the money returned to him by mid-summer that'd be great.

So when you get your tag you fit it to the front of your bike and head off, basically - no need to report to anyone in the morning, just out through the gate and away you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

+ 1 ^

just got same reply back from Pieta house

Excellent. Will give us an extra half hour in bed on the morning so!

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Jovetic

I am going to absolutely ruin Moll's Gap in 3 weeks. I'm rearing to go now.

Woke at half 5 this morning and couldn't sleep, so went out and did 21m before work :D

Doing 120km on sunday which will be the acid test :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Uberbeamerman

I cycled the event last year, and many other years, and saw plenty cars on closed sections.
    Locals I presume. Are they closed in o e direction only? Does roads act allow for that?

I think this is the first year that the roads will be properly closed...last year I think they a one way system in place for parts of it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,264 ✭✭✭ratracer

In terms of roads being closed, imagine 8,000 bikes coming at the marshalls/gardai or whoever. How are they gonna pick out even 500 bikes with no numbers/tags on? Are they gonna stop every cyclist and check, I don't think so. If you want to cycle, then cycle. It's a charity event and si I would hope people would keep that in mind and donate at least the €60 entry fee even if they don't register but do the cycle.

All this talk of roads closed / not allowed to cycle / nazi marshalls ( which won't happen, just a generalisation) is really beginning to take away some of the enjoyment and build up to the weekend for me.

Just pedal, have fun, smile, and at the end, have the craic in Killarney!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement