Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ring of Kerry 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭alanucc

Glad that some of the roads are being closed this year. Hopefully it will make overtaking a bit less dodgy.

Anyone know how they decided which segments to close? Presumably Killarney-Glenbeigh is when the pack is most tightly bunched and in need of the space. Not so sure about the other segments.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Can you not give in the sponsorship cards the evening before the ring of kerry lke last year when collecting the bike tags at Scotts in Killarney?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

Has anyone got the map my ride details for it?
    Just want to check climbs etc.....

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭merc230ce

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Listrydude

About road closures, I would be more interested if the busses were banned from doing the Ring!! Anyway took a fab cycle from Killarney - molls - Kenmare and back yesterday evening. Climb to Molls is def doable ( and this is my first ROK!) just take your time. Oh and spray on a little insect repellant! Molls is laden with the midges! B@$terds! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭ustazjoseph

gdavis wrote: »
    can someone please tell me how steep or how much of a climb,this molls gap is,as i just attempted to go from tallaght,through old court and up the hills to the dog and cats home and id say i was a few strides short of a massive cardiac arrest!

it looks worse than it is - when your tired and the day feel like it should be over and a million people including grandmothers and wee girls have passed you it looks horrible.... but its 10 k , it has a few flat bits and you can tell yourself its all down hill to killarney once you make the top. Bottom gear , spin, count the telephone poles or white lines , eat some chocolate and you' ll get there .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

Molls gap is grand , it's just along drag but can seem like more because it comes at end of long day.i normally find it grand and I'm over 100kg but suffered a bit last yr after meeting up with lad from neighbouring club for last 10km into kenmare who turned the screw pace wise-I had to hang on to him
    Good few hundred started in Kenmare last year to get it out of way at start and finished in Kenmare.
    After ring last year I was passing through kenmare heading for west cork and there were good groups of cyclists hanging around having pint or three.No where near the crack of the glen eagle in Killarney .

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Uberbeamerman

The most important thing about the ROK is to cycle at a pace that suits YOU!. Don't try and keep up to people that are cycling outside of your comfort zone. Molls gap is not bad at all just go at your own pace and take it one pedal at a time....and admire the view down towards Kenmare and beyond :)

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Jovetic

Molls gap is not bad at all just go at your own pace and take it one pedal at a time....and admire the view down towards Kenmare and beyond :)

This is what I'm worried about, instead of taking in the beautiful scenery I'll be too busy on focusing on the road to keep the bike in a straight line :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,538 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Jovetic wrote: »
    This is what I'm worried about, instead of taking in the beautiful scenery I'll be too busy on focusing on the road to keep the bike in a straight line :mad:

In fairness you can admire the scenery at certain spots, top of molls, in sneem etc. Getting there is the price to pay for such a reward. In my eyes anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭gdavis

well im slowly making strides,tonight,started off in dundrum,up to enniskerry and up to powerscourt waterfall,left out of powerscourt and windy road back to enniskerry the other way and back to dundrum.damn nearly killed me but was chuffed i made it

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Vivienne23

Well done to everyone on their training ! Mine is coming along but not brilliant but we will be grand :)

Another question What happens at the after party ? Where is it held ? And most importantly is it worth to stay down in Killarney for ? Do ya just start drinking pints as soon as you get off the bike or is there a lull for a few hours and everyone comes back later that night ready to go?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

Vivienne23 wrote: »
    Well done to everyone on their training ! Mine is coming along but not brilliant but we will be grand :)

Another question What happens at the after party ? Where is it held ? And most importantly is it worth to stay down in Killarney for ? Do ya just start drinking pints as soon as you get off the bike or is there a lull for a few hours and everyone comes back later that night ready to go?

Yes worth staying down for. Finish is different place this year but crack around glen eagle has been always great.
    Some shower and change and go straight drinking others come back after food and some stinky arses have no shower and stay drinking till put to bed..:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Vivienne23

Thanks for that, unsure what to do now, with the change if finish I wonder will that affect where the crowd goes , ya by the time I would get back it will prob nearly be closing time so a few drinks is all I'd be able have :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,538 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Last year, they had a BBQ and music going at the INEC right at the finish line, loads of free chocolate and drinks etc too. Think there will be another bbq later in the night as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭gdavis

i should arrive back in time for nite club:)

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭lecker Hendl

I'm cycling with my best rigout on so I'm ready to rock once I hit the finish line.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭michael196

at the end last year, I remember going back to hotel, cleaned up, rested a few hours, down twon for dinner, then pubs and night club, but falling asleep while standing in the night club!!

dont underestimate how tired u will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

michael196 wrote: »
    dont underestimate how tired u will be.

That depends on how much training you've done. If you're well prepared for it, the whole buzz of the day will keep you awake until 2 or 3am.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Soarer

Sorry for using this thread as my own personal training diary, but....

Got in another 72.5k yesterday evening (that's right, I'm counting half kilometres!). No big climbs really, except Church Hill in Glanmire right at the end. Started at New Inn primary school, up to Mayfield, down Silversprings, down to Garryvoe Beach, and back up to the school. Did it non stop, with the exception of 2 pee breaks. It was done more to toughen up the bum more than anything.
    The weather was dirty enough in places, and there seemed to be a breeze against me both ways! No break from it when cycling on your own, but hopefully that'll stand to me when cycling in a group.

More than anything I was delighted to get up Church Hill after 70k.

BTW, I hope this doesn't read like "look how great I am". I'm far from great, and far from fit. I'm probably carrying 10kg too much, have literally the worst diet in the world, and look like a pimple on a plum when on the bike. I'm nervous as hell about the ROK and trying to get miles into the legs when I can (wife and kids!).
    There might be people out there in the same position as me, and maybe my posts can push them along. Believe me, if I can do it, anyone can.

Freedom!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

That depends on how much training you've done. If you're well prepared for it, the whole buzz of the day will keep you awake until 2 or 3am.

I'm training for my first ROK. After some of my bigger/longer/faster night time spins, I find it hard to sleep, my legs seem to think they are still spinning. I'd have thought I'm so tired getting off the bike, I should have conked out for the whole night. any ideas ? more stretches? food ?

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Craig06

Get a foam roller and roll out your muscles. That'll help recovery better and make sure you're hydrated

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

The main reason I've done so many Ring of Kerrys was the boozing and nightclubbing afterwards.

Thanks for that, unsure what to do now, with the change if finish I wonder will that affect where the crowd goes , ya by the time I would get back it will prob nearly be closing time so a few drinks is all I'd be able have :)

the whole town will be rocking....

Maybe looking for a driver for coming back to Dublin.......someone with patience while we visit Obama town Moneygall for half way refreshments...........:D:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭holyhutzpa

Sorry to hijack but - are there any spare registration numbers going?

Have done it for the last two years and didn't realise they would close the registration so early...

Thanks in advance (my own fault, I know!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

the whole town will be rocking....

Guys and gals will be seen in their lycra outside most of the pubs in Killarney til late on re-hydrating :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

Craig06 wrote: »
    Get a foam roller and roll out your muscles. That'll help recovery better and make sure you're hydrated

thanks. whats the difference in the pink and the blue rollers -just having a quick look at every's online site the blue appears to be twice the price of the pink

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Craig06

Nothing, it's just the manufacturer. It's just how long the foam will stay round instead of going oval.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Just got an email from my charity that says they now have the bike tags and wrist bands. They are available for pickup in Killarney from 24-27 June or after which remaining tags will be sent out via post.

says...."Please note the Bike Tags MUST be displayed on THE FRONT of your bicycle to enable you to take part in the event and the wrist band worn to ensure that you have access to technical, medical and refreshment back up. The Bike Tag has to be clearly visible to get past check points."

also says..."there is no need for you to go to registration on Friday evening or Saturday morning. You can head off on the cycle at any time you wish."

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement