Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ring of Kerry 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭dogsears

Got the same email and another point it makes, important for quite a few:

"Please refer to the official Ring of Kerry Charity Cycle website www.ringofkerrycycle.ie for safety, parking information and other useful information. Please note there will be no parking available in the Race Course this year. Free Car parks are being made available on all approach roads to Killarney."

However I couldn't see anything more specific on the website about where the actual car parking will be, so it might be worth a recce on the previous evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭mp2012

Sorry lads, what charity is that? Haven't got anything from mine yet, Pieta House.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Jovetic

Soarer wrote: »
    No big climbs really, except Church Hill in Glanmire right at the end.

Oh I know this one. A right bastard of a hill. Walked it halfway the first time I went up but have the legs for it now. Glounthaune to Glanmire has tough hills which are good.

1005956_175444909298446_1471178681_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭dogsears

mp2012 wrote: »
    Sorry lads, what charity is that? Haven't got anything from mine yet, Pieta House.

Mine is South West Counselling Centre

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭ballyharpat

Accommodation is not available that week, I will have a two double bedroomed apartment in the town centre available for rent. PM me if interested.........

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭bombidal

Is doing this on a tt bike to be frowned upon?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

Well I'd say yes. Cycling in such a crowded environment is difficult enough never mind trying to do it on tt bike .
    Why would you even bother, it will break your back to be in aero position for the day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

shaka wrote: »
    Well I'd say yes. Cycling in such a crowded environment is difficult enough never mind trying to do it on tt bike .
    Why would you even bother, it will break your back to be in aero position for the day

A guy cycled 3 days of kingdom alliance sportive on tt bike. Some punishment

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

bombidal wrote: »

TT bikes aren't designed for long distance cycling just like MTB bikes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭letape

I don't think people would care either way what bike your on. Do it on whatever bike you have a preference for. I know for me personally, it wouldn't be a TT bike!

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭detones

letape wrote: »
    I don't think people would care either way what bike your on. Do it on whatever bike you have a preference for. I know for me personally, it wouldn't be a TT bike!

I'd care, if I see any one on a TT or tri bike i'll be staying well clear of them. Far too dangerous for group riding.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

detones wrote: »
    I'd care, if I see any one on a TT or tri bike i'll be staying well clear of them. Far too dangerous for group riding.

There is a video on YouTube of where a tri bike was riding behind a bike and his hands were on the tri bars. He clipped the back wheel of the rider in front simply because he couldn't get on the breaks on time due to his hands positioned on the tri bars. There are dangerous and there is no place from them on a route where there will be 8500 cyclists. Accident waiting to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭Masala

Originally Posted by bombidal viewpost.gif

I'd say (if you decide to do it) that you will be stopped at some point and advised that you would not be allowed to proceed. The safety of others is paramount to the ROK and 'speed' is definitely frowned on in this event.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Soarer

Buddy of mine got sorted with a place yesterday.

He rang the organisers after the registration closed and got put on a waiting list. He got a text on Saturday evening asking him to ring a certain number on Sunday (yesterday). He did, and they gave him a place.

So maybe people should try get on this waiting list thing?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Amprodude wrote: »
    TT bikes aren't designed for long distance cycling just like MTB bikes.

going slightly off topic on this, and accepting tt bikes and tri bikes aren't exactly the same, but there are lots of people who regularly ride 180km on tt bikes. and i'd guess the amount who buy them for long distance tris (HIM+) wouldn't be far off those who buy them for TT duties, although that's only an opinion. if it's true though, i'd say the manufacturers have the longer distances in mind as well.

that said, a group sportif like the ROK isn't the place for one

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭heraldo

I have a long term booking of a twin and a triple room in Gleneagle for Fri & Sat night. For a number of reasons I have to cancel the booking. If anyone is stuck for digs, PM me and I can try and get the rooms transferred to you. The twin was €104per night & triple €149per night, minus a deposit. The very best of luck to you all on the day!!

Edit: Rooms now gone!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Has anyone tried setting up a fund raising page through mycharity.ie

I remember doing this last year and I was able to select "Ring of Kerry Cycle" so all monies raised went to 'all' of the nominated charities.

This year it looks like I can only select individual charities, not all of them(under 1 page)?

Or am I missing something very obvious??

My only interest in using the tt was for half ironman training, would only go down on the drops with clear road ahead and not in a group. No major issue in any case. Looking forward to the day, should be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Barrak

heraldo wrote: »
    I have a long term booking of a twin and a triple room in Gleneagle for Fri & Sat night. For a number of reasons I have to cancel the booking. If anyone is stuck for digs, PM me and I can try and get the rooms transferred to you. The twin was €104per night & triple €149per night, minus a deposit. The very best of luck to you all on the day!!

I would be very interested in a double/twin room if one was still available?

Barry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 hightower1969

heraldo wrote: »

Sent you a pm

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭heraldo

Barrak wrote: »
    I would be very interested in a double/twin room if one was still available?

Barry

Sent you a PM

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭TychoCaine

My only interest in using the tt was for half ironman training, would only go down on the drops with clear road ahead and not in a group. No major issue in any case. Looking forward to the day, should be great.

With that amount of bikes on the course there never will be a "clear" road ahead. Besides, ROK is a social thing. If you just want a head-down 180km training spin save your money and do the route the day before or the day after. Personally I wouldn't ride in a bunch with someone on a TT/tri bike. They are way too unstable at anything less than full tilt. Why do you think Tri's that allow drafting/bunch riding specifically ban TT bikes?

TychoCaine wrote: »
    With that amount of bikes on the course there never will be a "clear" road ahead. Besides, ROK is a social thing. If you just want a head-down 180km training spin save your money and do the route the day before or the day after. Personally I wouldn't ride in a bunch with someone on a TT/tri bike. They are way too unstable at anything less than full tilt. Why do you think Tri's that allow drafting/bunch riding specifically ban TT bikes?

Fair enough, good pt... Road bike all the way!

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Hani Kosti

Does anyone know how to add ROK to My Charity account?
    Tried to follow instructions on ROK cycle website but that didn't work
    Seems to only offer one charity at a time but not all of them
    Any help really welcome!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Hani Kosti

Does anyone know how to add ROK to My Charity account?
    Tried to follow instructions on ROK cycle website but that didn't work
    Seems to only offer one charity at a time but not all of them
    Any help really welcome!!!

Am so ready for this :cool:

Bring it on :p

• Registered Users Posts: 20 hightower1969

cant wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Pat P

Hey, I'm only too willing to buy the registration from someone who cannot make it. So, is there anybody out there who can help me ?

Regards,
    Pat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Soarer

Got another 70k under my belt this evening. Upped the ante by adding in a few hills though, so up through Mayfield, down Silversprings, down to Belvelly Bridge, 2 anti-clockwise circuits of Cobh, back up into the city, then back to Glanmire and finish up Church Hill.
    Legs are feeling it now, but it's a good feeling. Getting more confident about the ROK after every training spin.

P.S. Knocked 25 seconds off my PB for Church Hill, which was a nice surprise when I got home. Only another 2 minutes to go for KOM! ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement