Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ring of Kerry 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

Fair play soarer those climbs are a lot steeper than anything on rok

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 357 ✭✭ballygowan1

Anyone know of any accomodation still going?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Anyone know of any accomodation still going?

If you are flush with cash and like 5 star then the Europe, Muckross and Park still have rooms for Friday and Saturday. Cheaper rooms are pretty much all gone. B&Bs or staying in Kenmare or Tralee might be worth a shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Where do we hand in the money and charity card this year and where do we get the bike tag with your number on it?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Jessica86

Hello Guys,

I live here in Ireland, my dad came over from Holland with his bike, he wanted to cycle the ring of kerry, we however didnt know you had to sign up to be able to cycle there...

I emailed the website, but I got the following standard reply back:
    Hi,

The waiting list is now full for the Radio Kerry Ring of Kerry charity cycle 2013. We are unable to facilitate any more late entries for this year’s cycle. Please be aware that NO entries will be taken the night before or the morning of the cycle.

We apologise for any inconvenience caused.

Kindest Regards,
    Emma.

So I am wondering, is there anything I can do? Anywhere to sign up for a biketag at all?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

best best is to tell him to contact each of the charities directly and explain situation and see if one of them can accommodate him. list of the charities are on the ROK website.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Soarer

If he only wants to cycle the ring of Kerry, he could go around the day after without an issue.

If he wants to take part in the event itself, take thesimpsons advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭nordicb

I think the only choice at this stage is hunt for a registration if someone doesn't turn up. They have a facebook page, saw a lot of reg posts there, but mostly from those on the same boat as yourself.

I'm on waiting list myself hoping to get an entry :confused:

Amprodude wrote: »
    Where do we hand in the money and charity card this year and where do we get the bike tag with your number on it?

Thanks.

The website has a pretty well written FAQ with all these details.

http://www.ringofkerrycycle.ie/faq.php

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭lecker Hendl

I did a 130km cycle there recently and found myself out of energy fairly quickly into it. What would be a good meal plan before the ring of Kerry? I'd imagine we might have to load up on carbs the night before or something? Any good foods to be eating before and during the cycle?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Uberbeamerman

I did a 130km cycle there recently and found myself out of energy fairly quickly into it. What would be a good meal plan before the ring of Kerry? I'd imagine we might have to load up on carbs the night before or something? Any good foods to be eating before and during the cycle?

Pasta the night before, nice bit of porridge the morning of the cycle then.
    You don't want to be full heading off on the bike either.....

Bring a bit of food with you as far as C'siveen (one or two banannas, and a few bars...nutrigrain do the job) and keep nibbling away while you're on the bike. Stock up on food then at the food stops....You should never be hungry on the bike but conversely you shouldn't be stuffed either.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭lecker Hendl

Pasta the night before, nice bit of porridge the morning of the cycle then.
    You don't want to be full heading off on the bike either.....

Bring a bit of food with you as far as C'siveen (one or two banannas, and a few bars...nutrigrain do the job) and keep nibbling away while you're on the bike. Stock up on food then at the food stops....You should never be hungry on the bike but conversely you shouldn't be stuffed either.

Is a bit of porridge enough on the morning though? The last cycle I was on I had 3 weetabix with milk and banana, 2 eggs and a couple of slices of toast. Although we went 70kms without eating. I only had one nutrigrain in that 70km. Twas tough. The legs were struggling to move at that stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭crashoveroid

First off don't over eat. Make sure the day before you have a good breakfast lunch and dinner. As too many carbs the night before can actually block your body from preforming. As in the morning toast porridge. I prefer muesli or granola due to fat content and there are more energy in fat as well a scrambled egg and toast and loads of coffee.

The next step i always do is have a hydration plan for me i normally plan 500ml bottle per hour weather dependent. As for being on the bike normally while just riding endurance i don't start to eat until 1hr to 1.5hr then its normally about a bar per hour. Keep the gels for near to the end the last 40k if you have caffeine ones use them just before molls they will give a nice boost.

Thats my two cents on how i would prepare.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Uberbeamerman

Is a bit of porridge enough on the morning though? The last cycle I was on I had 3 weetabix with milk and banana, 2 eggs and a couple of slices of toast. Although we went 70kms without eating. I only had one nutrigrain in that 70km. Twas tough. The legs were struggling to move at that stage.

Porridge, wheatabix, cornflakes....eat something that would keep you going until lunch on a normal working day....there's a difference between bonking (due to lack of food) or being tired from pace, distance etc....
    Plan your nutrition well....keep having small snacks on the bike and stay hydrated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

Stick to the foods mentioned above porridge,eggs,weetabix etc but dont try some new on the morning of cycle in case it upsets your tummy while on the bike.

I would never eat something my body isn't usta having regularly Especially on the morning of a sports event.

I've done carb loading before but to be honest for rok I don't think you would need it and I don't really believe it helped me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

Forget about all the above posts. Full fry-up is the only way to go. :D

Forget about all the above posts. Full fry-up is the only way to go. :D

+1

and a big steak and some pints of stout the night before.

BailMeOut wrote: »
    +1

and a big steak and some pints of stout the night before.

Well I will be having a fry-up before leaving. And a big steak after the cycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭nordicb

I usually bring and have some sweetened oat porridge just before the ride. Digests very well and lasts for 1st 50k at least.

Was on waiting list and got the registration today, woohoo :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭blahblah06

I have a charity entry I won't be using.
    Who ever wants it but must make a donation to the charity

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Amprodude wrote: »

Thanks.

I received an e-mail from Down Syndrome Ireland, Kerry saying they were holding open-evenings in Tralee, Listowel and Killarney. Being away yesterday and working tomorrow evening I had this evening. Just went into the office in Listowel and they graciously accepted the donations and gave me my number/bike-tag and wrist-band then. Lovely guys back in Listowel this evening :)

Alternative then is on the Friday before-hand or morning of the cycle in Killarney afaik.

blahblah06 wrote: »

Can I take it please, for a friend?

EDIT: sorry, he has one. But I do have someone else that might be interested. I've told them about this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭blahblah06

Cheers.
    Would have to be the person that wanting it to contact me instead of a friend of a friend and all that

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Jovetic

Any advice on gels? I've never used them before so perhaps it's too late to be trying them out now. Are they really any good? Will just have to eat more sangwiches at the food stops :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Thegingerbear

Am planning to do the rok and I have a few questions that don’t seem to be answered on the website – Do I need insurance as it is mentioned on the website but they don’t say if it is obligatory? At the food stops does one need to lock the bike or how does it work from the point of view of theft? I received one email from the organisers about two weeks ago and they said they would be forwarding two or three more emails but I haven’t heard anything since, have any of you guys received any emails? That’s all, thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

Jovetic wrote: »
    Any advice on gels? I've never used them before so perhaps it's too late to be trying them out now. Are they really any good? Will just have to eat more sangwiches at the food stops :pac:
    There's plenty of food on the RoK but as a back up bring a few gels in your pocket just in case.
    I find the High 5 gels very good, they give you an energy boost, but they're not so strong that you need to drink a litre of water to wash the sugar taste out of your mouth.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭merc230ce

blahblah06 wrote: »

Why not contact Jessica86? (About 10 posts before yours)

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Michael Craddock

Got my number and wrist band today via charity in post.
    They want us to strap the number facing forwards below the handlebars!!

Anyone going to follow this?
    Not very aero dynamic...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭merc230ce

Got my number and wrist band today via charity in post.
    They want us to strap the number facing forwards below the handlebars!!

Anyone going to follow this?
    Not very aero dynamic...:)

I will. I'll just concentrate on keeping it flapping :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭dogsears

Jovetic wrote: »

Wouldn't advise trying gels for the first time on the ROK. Some people have belly trouble with them. You might be unlucky enough to be one, and it wouldn't be great to find that out half way up Moll's Gap.

Maybe a nutrigrain bar held in reserve in case you get sick of sangers & greenish bananas?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement