Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ring of Kerry 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

Got my number and wrist band today via charity in post.
    They want us to strap the number facing forwards below the handlebars!!

Anyone going to follow this?
    Not very aero dynamic...:)

got mine today too
    aero dynamic,how fast you travelling ?????;)

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭ustazjoseph

Anyone know of any accomodation still going?

milltown or killorglin are do able - might find something there .

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭AlfaZen

I have 2 twin rooms booked in the Gleneagle but due to a late withdrawal there are only 3 of us doing the RoK

Anyone interested in swapping a triple for 2 twins? PM me.

2 twins are booked for the Friday and Saturday nights bed & Breakfast.

Edit: all sorted now ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

At the food stops does one need to lock the bike or how does it work from the point of view of theft?.

There will be literally thousands of bikes strewn everywhere at the food stops! Your bike is not going to be stolen and if you do bring a lock you will struggle to find anything to lock your bike to.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Zenson

blahblah06 wrote: »
    I have a charity entry I won't be using.
    Who ever wants it but must make a donation to the charity

blahblah06. I would be delighted to use your entry. I booked accommodation but left it too late to register. I will make a donation of 60.00 euro which is the entry feel. I posted my first boards post on another thread looking for a registration.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Jovetic

Think I'm ready for this :p

Did a good bit this week and Church Hill in Glanmire tonight :cool:

Gonna ease up from now until the big day, maybe a few light cycles next week but other than that I'm raring to go!

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Frere Jacques

I've nathin done. I did a sprint triathlon in Monkstown (my first, I'm no ironman) two weeks ago and the body held up well. Since then I cycled to work and back twice. Doing a 100k at the weekend with a buddy so I'll be feeling it after that. The plan then for the big day is same as last year. Pasta Thursday and Friday and mossey on down early and get on the road by 7. Then keep turning the crank till we get back to Killarney. Pop a Gel about 10K before the main climbs (probably all in my head but it worked last year) Would love to train more but I have a broken second metatarsil in my foot from a GAA game 3 weeks ago where an ape landed on me foot which I use as a convenient excuse and also 2 small kids which keep me on my good toes.
    Just going to turn up and enjoy it and keep repeating "must train more next year" on the slog up Molls gap. Then I'm going to leave the buzz of the group bring me home for the last 25k.
    To anyone reading about big training routines, you'll be fine. Just relax and enjoy it. If you don't push yourself too much the body will stay going all day. I would look at my diet though for the two days before. Loads of carbs and chicken or fish. A good feed in the evening before bed and a solid breakie in the morning, ie. more than normal but not Monty Python levels either.
    Enjoy. And Sunscreen for the forearms and the neck and the back of the ears. Trust me on the sunscreen.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Jovetic

No gels for me, don't believe in doping :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭Captain Scarlet

blahblah06 wrote: »
    I have a charity entry I won't be using.
    Who ever wants it but must make a donation to the charity

PM sent. I´ll happily take it and make donation.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

same if anyone has a cancellation please give me a shout :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Soarer

Jovetic wrote: »
    Did a good bit this week and Church Hill in Glanmire tonight :cool:

Good stuff. She ain't easy.

Just received my pack from Pieta House there. There'll be no sneaking into the event with the size of the bike tag I'd say. It's fairly stand outish.

Also received a Pieta House t-shirt. Don't think I'll wear it on the cycle, but will do before and afterwards.

Getting excited now!

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Listrydude

Killarney getting into the swing if things already - hanging bikes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Has anyone attempted to check out extended weather forecasts yet? Any chance this nice spell will last another week?

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭lecker Hendl

Saturday
    06 Jul

High : 19°
    Low : 12°
    CloudyWind 13 km / hr N
    Humidity 59%
    Precipitation chance : 45%

Fine cycling weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭listrybabe

Listrydude wrote: »
    Killarney getting into the swing if things already - hanging bikes

Killarney always swinging Liam

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭detones

Any good decents on the Route? With 8000 cylists it will probably be hard to build up much speed but i always like giving it a lash on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

detones wrote: »
    Any good decents on the Route? With 8000 cylists it will probably be hard to build up much speed but i always like giving it a lash on them.

Coomakista. Moll's Gap technical section also, which is usually quiet enough because everyone's so spread out at that stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭detones

Coomakista. Moll's Gap technical section also, which is usually quiet enough because everyone's so spread out at that stage.

After 160k ish done, i think i'll be too B*ll*xed to do anything but coast down the far sides of Molls Gap ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

After 160k ish done, i think i'll be too B*ll*xed to do anything but coast down the far sides of Molls Gap ;)

Not at all, you'll be buzzing to get back to the finish ASAP at that stage :)

• Advertisement

Saturday
    06 Jul

High : 19°
    Low : 12°
    CloudyWind 13 km / hr N
    Humidity 59%
    Precipitation chance : 45%

Fine cycling weather.

If that holds, it'll be a great day/evening.

Come on baby Jesus/Allah/Buddah/Oprah, make it happen!

Hey guys.

Just in time for the ROK, Wiggle have reduced their 20 pack of High5 gels to €16.64 delivered.

They also have the caffeine version of those gels for the same price of €16.64.

Seems a pretty good price to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭the boss of me

Coomacista to Caherdaniel is a pretty fast, decent wide road. The descent from Molls past Ladies view is very fast and technical.. great craic but fairly scary .

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Uberbeamerman

Coomacista to Caherdaniel is a pretty fast, decent wide road. The descent from Molls past Ladies view is very fast and technical.. great craic but fairly scary .

Coomacista and Molls are nice descents alright, I always enjoy them doing them...just be mindful of other cyclists on the road and give everyone a nice bit of room...try and keep weaving in and out to a minimum as well (its not good for the nerves if you have cyclists bombing past you, even undertaking, on a fairly steep decent).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

First Friday night to enjoy a beer.....all the hard work done cant wait for this...

Gonna pop my 100k cherry tomorrow, weather permitting. Will probably get out during the week for another 50-70k, and we'll leave it at that then.

It wasn't that long in coming around afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 davert1

Jessica86 wrote: »
    Hello Guys,

I live here in Ireland, my dad came over from Holland with his bike, he wanted to cycle the ring of kerry, we however didnt know you had to sign up to be able to cycle there...

I emailed the website, but I got the following standard reply back:
    Hi,

The waiting list is now full for the Radio Kerry Ring of Kerry charity cycle 2013. We are unable to facilitate any more late entries for this year’s cycle. Please be aware that NO entries will be taken the night before or the morning of the cycle.

We apologise for any inconvenience caused.

Kindest Regards,
    Emma.

So I am wondering, is there anything I can do? Anywhere to sign up for a biketag at all?

HI Jessica86

I have a tag which I now cant use. Its yours for 60 euro
    D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Doing a 130km cycle Sunday onto my 105km last Sunday. Then going to follow it up with 3 by 50kms cycles monday tuesday and wednesday and then finish up. Might cut out monday depending how i feel that day. Dont want to overdo it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭Masala

So.... a quick poll!!!

How many people off to try Molls Gaps this weekend to get in the practice ???

My mates want to cycle up from Killarney side...then down to Kenmare. Quick coffee and them cycle back up to top of Molls again and back down into Killarney!!

Ya..they're trying to kill me!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement