Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ring of Kerry 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Uberbeamerman

Masala wrote: »
    So.... a quick poll!!!

How many people off to try Molls Gaps this weekend to get in the practice ???

My mates want to cycle up from Killarney side...then down to Kenmare. Quick coffee and them cycle back up and back down into Killarney!!

Ya..they're trying to kill me!!

Do the Killarney-Kilgarven-Molls spin....get the miles in and the gap :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

For me
    Molls LAdies View - Lough Guitane - Killarney - Dunloe - Gap of Donloe - Gap Valley - Kenmare

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Vivienne23

Gonna have to stop reading this thread soon ye are scaring me with all the training I only got out to do 60 k this week with work 3 14 hour days :( , work again tomoro but hoping to get out at some stage for 60/80k maybe one more 40 then next week then cross my fingers and hope for the best on the day ! The nervous/excitement is really creeping in now

On the upside got accomodation tonight , the holiday inn killarney a steal at €277 euro for 2 nights :/

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Uberbeamerman

Vivienne23 wrote: »
    Gonna have to stop reading this thread soon ye are scaring me with all the training I only got out to do 60 k this week with work 3 14 hour days :( , work again tomoro but hoping to get out at some stage for 60/80k maybe one more 40 then next week then cross my fingers and hope for the best on the day ! The nervous/excitement is really creeping in now

On the upside got accomodation tonight , the holiday inn killarney a steal at €277 euro for 2 nights :/

The most important thing for the ROK is to be well rested for that morning....take your time and go at your own pace...its not a race...most of all tho enjoy it:)

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Craig06

Sure Molls gap is only a drag, no need for anybody to worry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

1 week to go, can't wait. We'll do a handy hundred tomorrow and rest up for the week.
    Hope the weather is the same as today, excellent for cycling, but as we know Kerry has it's own weather but fingers crossed anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭PandyAndy

Vivienne23 wrote: »

You'll be grand. I've only done one 60km cycle in the last few weeks. My plan is just to remain very naively optimistic about it all. I figured all I need to do is take my time and do an average of 12.8km/h and I'll finish eventually... around 10pm. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,538 ✭✭✭✭siblers

PandyAndy wrote: »
    You'll be grand. I've only done one 60km cycle in the last few weeks. My plan is just to remain very naively optimistic about it all. I figured all I need to do is take my time and do an average of 12.8km/h and I'll finish eventually... around 10pm. :)

I'm the same, i've struggled to find the time to do it to be honest. Gonna do a big one this week and a couple of smaller ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Saturday
    06 Jul

High : 19°
    Low : 12°
    CloudyWind 13 km / hr N
    Humidity 59%
    Precipitation chance : 45%

Fine cycling weather.

fyi : Latest Windguru forecast at Rossbeigh.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭PandyAndy

^^ So that means we'll be cycling against the wind up to roughly Waterville/Caherdaniel or are I am interpreting that wrong?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Got a 155km cycle under my belt today before ROK. Struggled at times after 115km. Longest cycle this year at 28.7km/h. I did first 100km at 30.1km/h so well proud of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Jovetic

Damn you Lions test :mad:

Will do 4hrs from 7am-11pm, stop for two hrs for lunch/watch the game.

1pm - 5pm Finish the ROK

Question, is two hours break in the middle two much of a break, I'll fall asleep in a pub/my legs will seize up :(

PandyAndy wrote: »
    ^^ So that means we'll be cycling against the wind up to roughly Waterville/Caherdaniel or are I am interpreting that wrong?

it shows wind blowing from the south so yes head on as you travel down coast.

As the week progresses the weather models will get more accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭detones

Jovetic wrote: »
    Damn you Lions test :mad:

Will do 4hrs from 7am-11pm, stop for two hrs for lunch/watch the game.

1pm - 5pm Finish the ROK

Question, is two hours break in the middle two much of a break, I'll fall asleep in a pub/my legs will seize up :(

I think so, 2hts is a lot, I'm hoping to time break with last 20 mins of game if that's possible somewhere. Have not looked at timing and Route yet though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

BailMeOut wrote: »
    fyi : Latest Windguru forecast at Rossbeigh.
    Early forecasts indicate dry and settled from next Friday and into the weekend :D. I can live with southerly winds, a decent tail wind coming back to Killarney, perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

Jovetic wrote: »
    Depends on what you're used to doing. If I stopped for 2 hours I wouldn't be able to get on the bike again!

I'll probably stop 3-4 times for 10-15 minutes max each time.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Kingdom Man

really looking forward to this - first timer this year find the wind tough going but will take it over the rain anyday! roll on next saturday any final tips for this week from some of you that have done it a few times? thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭snottybridge

really looking forward to this - first timer this year find the wind tough going but will take it over the rain anyday! roll on next saturday any final tips for this week from some of you that have done it a few times? thanks.
    If you have the training done up to now,take the week off,coomakista,molls gap are not that bad,its the few sneaky drags and pulls on the route that will sap ya,but above all enjoy,great day guarenteed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Soarer

Any more up to date weather info.?

Buddy reckons there's a high pressure moving in later in the week and we should be laughing.

Soarer wrote: »
    Any more up to date weather info.?

Buddy reckons there's a high pressure moving in later in the week and we should be laughing.

The 5 day forcast map on Met.is is quite good. http://www.met.ie/forecasts/5day-ireland.asp so from tomorrow we should start to see what the ROK might look like on Saturday.

So far it looks like low wind and no rain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Soarer

I can't wait until tomorrow God damn it!! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

The very best of luck to everybody taking part in the Ring of Kerry cycle. To all those visiting our beautiful Kingdom I hope you enjoy it. Safe cycling to all of you.

Met.ie:

Weekend: Mainly dry with sunny spells and light winds and becoming rather warm with temperatures rising to between 20 and 25 degrees in light breezes.

MT Cranium:

WEEKEND OUTLOOK ... Sunny intervals, warm, highs 22-25 C.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

I was out by Caherdaniel today. There is a significant amount of roadworks ongoing between Derrynane village and Carrols Cove. Entire road is being riled up and resurfaced. Not sure will it be fully finished by Saturday.
    Eitherway there will be some inevitable loose chippings etc as people descend off Coomakiste and head to Derrynane.

Between Sneem and Blackwater I saw the County council out filling in potholes.it's a crap job basically, with significant quantities of loose chippings all over some stretches of road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭donegaldude

Extremely late I know, but in the off chance of someone having an entry free can they pm me?

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭ugsparky

Guys - just seen a post on FB from the Cycle Against Suicide group - late registrations may be possible

https://www.facebook.com/CycleAgainstSuicide?hc_location=stream

I'll be wearing my CAS kit - a very good cause and Jim's a good man - hope we have a good craic in Kerry

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Did 25km this evening. Really looking forward to Saturday. What day are you finishing up training guys? I think i will finish wednesday and all my remaining cycles will not exceed 30km. Is thursday and friday enough for rest up days along with packing up the calories for Saturday?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,538 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Amprodude wrote: »
    Did 25km this evening. Really looking forward to Saturday. What day are you finishing up training guys? I think i will finish wednesday and all my remaining cycles will not exceed 30km. Is thursday and friday enough for rest up days along with packing up the calories for Saturday?

Was going to do a long cycle tomorrow but my bike is being serviced so might put it off till Wednesday and leave it at that till Saturday.Personally I think 2 days rest is loads, unless you are feeling stiff or sore on Wednesday then maybe 3 days rest will do no harm. An aul trip to the jacuzzi Thursday or Friday might be on the cards too :cool:

Soarer wrote: »
    I can't wait until tomorrow God damn it!! ;)

http://www.met.ie/forecasts/5day-ireland.asp

Saturday is shaping up to be warm, dry, calm and no clouds.

Most important thing to remember to pick up this week will be suncream!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Mr.Fred

BailMeOut wrote: »
    http://www.met.ie/forecasts/5day-ireland.asp

Saturday is shaping up to be warm, dry, calm and no clouds.

Most important thing to remember to pick up this week will be suncream!

Shhh.. Don't jinx it :eek:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement