Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ring of Kerry 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭dogsears

Has anyone actually got official confirmation of this €100 minimum?

I got an email from them some time ago (as did everyone else I assume) talking about certain unspecified changes, which I assumed related to the cost of doing it, but got nothing since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭irishmotorist

There's some discussion on the Facebook page that I've just taken a very brief look at. One of the posters says:
    If you register through the official Ring of Kerry Website the fee is 100 euro but if you register directly with your chosen charity it's free.

Another person says:
    If you register directly with Kerry lifeline there is no registration fee. Registration forms are being accepted now.

The answer is probably in there somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,855 ✭✭✭billyhead

There's some discussion on the Facebook page that I've just taken a very brief look at. One of the posters says:

Another person says:

The answer is probably in there somewhere.

I suppose we wont know until registration opens. €100 though is a bit steep in this day and age

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

I personally think it shameful to have a registration set at 100euros. Their really is no justifying that fee.

Haven't decided myself yet which charity I will be registering with directly; or even if I will register online with ROK and let them decide for me!

I don't think that 100euros is set in stone as yet and I don't know why they would or even should change a winning formula. The Ring of Kerry is a phenomenal success year in, year out and that increase could do more harm than good imo.

The organisers have to just remember those numbers travelling from afar and their costs incurred just to reach the county of Kerry, plus additional extras like accommodation etc on-top of the travelling costs.

Personally think they should just leave it be at the 50euros and have a better system this year of accounting for the monies paid in by cyclists :)

That's my tuppence worth anyways,
    kerry4sam

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Tourman

Started back training last week. ROK is the reason I get on a bike fantastic event great people. Hate the Sneem to Kenmare section seems to go on for ever. Anyone can do it even if you haven't been on a bike in years, if you start training now (training tips on ROK web site) you will have no problem on the day. Novices will be given encouragement by the experienced. Overall a great event (ps last year there were complaints about litter) find a bin for the rubbish. I travel down from Wicklow to see some amazing scenery, lets not spoil it.

Have a great day. looking forward to a wonderful event

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

Tourman if you travel down for the scenery I'd hold on for the rebel tour 160, rok isn't challenging but it is a a great day out alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭codie

shaka wrote: »
    Tourman if you travel down for the scenery I'd hold on for the rebel tour 160, rok isn't challenging but it is a a great day out alright.

Wouldn't agree with your last statement there .The ROK is very challenging for the majority of people as thats the only cycle they do all year .Sure, if you are part of a club and roll along in a peloton style its not going to be that challenging.But most people aren't.

Whats the date for that, Might do both also thinking of North ring route in August. If I do the training to get the milage up I might as well get the most out of it. I am all up for a challenge but am no masochist. The Wicklow 200 is on my doorstep but think its to much like punishment.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Thomasofmel

Tourman wrote: »
    Whats the date for that, Might do both also thinking of North ring route in August. If I do the training to get the milage up I might as well get the most out of it. I am all up for a challenge but am no masochist. The Wicklow 200 is on my doorstep but think its to much like punishment.

Isn't there a shorter version of the Wicklow200 that does not include Sallygap etc and is only 100km. Surely that one should be doable?

codie wrote: »
    Wouldn't agree with your last statement there .The ROK is very challenging for the majority of people as thats the only cycle they do all year .Sure, if you are part of a club and roll along in a peloton style its not going to be that challenging.But most people aren't.

Very Challenging for the majority of people ? If by majority that means the majority who don't train for then fair enough.

I did 10 km or so last year.chatting to a woman in her late sixties who had only took up cycling year before and she was finding it handy.It's a pretty much flat cycle with two pulls and some dead road . As for rolling along in peloton , it's one large peloton . Most 100km tours are harder as they often have more climbs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭ballyharpat

seriously shaka?? any race/ride can be challenging, it all depends on what your goals are, you can try to do the ring in 4 hrs, see if that's a challenge, you can even make a 15 mile flat ride a challenge-try doing 15miles in 30 min.....

Obviously you can make any cycle challenging but rok isn't ,it's aflat cycle . Sure try do it in four hours and you would be wrecked but that's not what rok is, its a social cycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭ballyharpat

Obviously you can make any cycle challenging but rok isn't ,it's aflat cycle . Sure try do it in four hours and you would be wrecked but that's not what rok is, its a social cycle.

You see your contradiction? I have done all of the local sportives, the Rebel tour was easier for me because I did it woth a group of riders, meant I could actually draft. The Ring of Kerry, did the forst 75k with some friends-leisure cyclists, then after that, I was not challenged enough and was not enjoying it, so I put the hammer down and suffered, did it at a fast pace and it was the same route that the lisure cyclists done :eek: If I am doing any race/sportive and i challenge myself, I am gonna be wrecked, but that's just me. I know of a few leisure cyclists that prefer the Rebel cycle because it's easier for them, shorter distance etc, but of course they do it at a leisurely pace.

It's a social cycle if that's what you make of it, it's a challenge if that's what you make of it.

Okay, the climbing is not really tough if you do it at a leisurely pace, but doing 7500ft at a decent pace is no easy feat.

I did a race last week, I finished in the top 10 with a field of over 100, I found it a nice relatively 'easy' race. there were guys that found it difficult and a really hard race, that finished in 30th place, 5/10 minutes behind me. There were also guys that came in 5-10 min after me that found it easy, because thay didn't push themselves.....

Basically, it's all relative.......

Very Challenging for the majority of people ? If by majority that means the majority who don't train for then fair enough.

I did 10 km or so last year.chatting to a woman in her late sixties who had only took up cycling year before and she was finding it handy.It's a pretty much flat cycle with two pulls and some dead road . As for rolling along in peloton , it's one large peloton . Most 100km tours are harder as they often have more climbs.

How could you say its one large peloton .Its a long long long line of riders of different abilities except for those who are involved with clubs and are used to riding in large groups. They have the ability to keep up because they have been training with their club all year round.They won't find it as challenging will they?
    As you say yourself it's a social cycle and the majority of people treat it as so.

Codie I don't know anyone personally who has found ROK overly challenging , yes I'm in club but most of my friends aren't and they all agree. I'm far from a fit guy btw. Some of them get on the bike 7-8 weeks before rok and just do it for the excuse of a weekend away:) plenty of people take up cycling between here and rok and will easily complete cycle. I did it last year after a wedding the night before.

As for peleton reference I'd say unless someone is pushing hard or are in a rolling road most people spend the good part of the day in a group (peleton)having a chat and a laugh hence I think it's a social cycle, you mightn't notice but you'll be dragged along without noticing. :)

BTW I'd recommend anyone getting a couple group cycles in if they can before rok just to get used to it , with the crowds doing it there is some crazy things going on -saw a few loopers undertaking and others overtaking in mad places.

Ballyharpat - ok it's all relative but rok isn't a race or sportive it's a leisure charity cycle. The biggest challenge for me last year was getting up and avoiding some kamikaze overtaking :)

Shaka, we will have to agree to disagree on this one.Your definition of a peleton differs from mine.Just because you are riding along in a group doesn't mean you are in a peleton .What I see as a peloton is a group of say for example a club with possibly 50 riders taking turns to work at the top and drafting in at the back to take a rest and save energy.The normal Joe soaps don't do this no matter how big a group.They just saunter away. I'll agree with you when you say that some people only get on the bike 6 or 7 weeks before the event but do you honestly think these people don't suffer .Not being smart here but when you are in a club group you won't see as much around you with the speed and the workrate.
    I have seen people getting sick before Caherciveen,plenty of people walking with their bike up Molls other people just giving up.

I'm in a club but didn't do it with club last year as I had a wedding in Killarney the night before and wasn't up and on the road until 7.30 .

Getting sick in caherciveen, really ? If someone is getting sick after a cycle from Killarney to caherciveen they can't have much training done now that would be challenging , that's lovely smooth road.

I know they don't suffer because last year because they were waiting for me in sneem with a pint in their hands. The most challenging part is the sore arse from hrs in saddle

Codie I don't mean to insult you if you find it challenging

Btw davidconroy you can start and finish in kenmare and get your cert there , that will get one of the climbs out of the way straight away if your not so experienced but you won't have the buzz of the crowd starting together in Killarney.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭michael196

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭michael196

• Advertisement

I'm in a club but didn't do it with club last year as I had a wedding in Killarney the night before and wasn't up and on the road until 7.30 .

Getting sick in caherciveen, really ? If someone is getting sick after a cycle from Killarney to caherciveen they can't have much training done now that would be challenging , that's lovely smooth road.

I know they don't suffer because last year because they were waiting for me in sneem with a pint in their hands. The most challenging part is the sore arse from hrs in saddle

Codie I don't mean to insult you if you find it challenging

I enjoy the ROK its a great day.Well the lad that got sick before Caherciveen went hell for leather ,dropped us after Killorgan .Surprised you are getting a sore arse if you find it a doddle.,Maybe you need to invest in a descent pair of bibs .

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,291 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Threads merged

Beasty

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Frere Jacques

There are any amount of trains of riders you can jump in with if you want to draft and work. Or you can, like the rest of us, enjoy the day out, see how the body is by Kenmare, and if you feel like it, go hell for leather up Moll's Gap and on into Killarney.
    It is the type of cycle where there is no harm in losing your buddies every now and then if everyone is of a different ability. You will spend your time talking to strangers and enjoying the scenery, and see your gang at the next water stop.
    Great day out. 16 weeks is plenty of training, I'd say 6-8 minimum, less means you will finish but you won't enjoy it the way you could.
    Roll on July.

Yeah the Wicklow 100. I will do that route a couple of times inbthe weeks before the ROK. Sallygap is not my problem its The Shay Elliot and Slieve maan . The come right on top of one another.There is no time to recover . Guess I'm just a big girls blouse.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

I just got this email.

100e is a bit steep I think for those not interested in getting sponsorship, considering in previous years 50 was the accepted figure. Paying 100 up front is a bit of a pain even if you go the sponsorship route.

Anyways,

Roll on rok!

Dear Supporter of the Ring of Kerry Charity Cycle,

As the launch of the 2013 cycle approaches the Committee would like to extend its thanks to you for your fundraising in the past.

The event depends on people like you to ensure its success and to maximise the benefits gained by it for the participating charities.

This year you will notice that the online registration procedure has changed, allowing the cyclist to chose one of two options:

1. To donate €100,request sponsorship cards and fundraise as before. The €100 donated can then be deducted from the amount raised through fundraising.

2.To donate €100 euro.

We are hoping that people such as yourself will opt for option 1 and by doing so will continue your good work in raising funds for the deserving charities.

Online registrations will be accepted from Monday 11th March.

Looking forward to seeing you on July 6th

Ring of Kerry Cycle Committee.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

This makes things a bit clearer but i'm wondering if i choose option 2 would that include a RoK jersey which was so successfully introduced last year, all be it the cost was seperate to the overall amount i raised through sponsorship.
    A lot of other cycles, particularly the An Post series include a jersey, and more, as part of the entrance fee. They also make donations to nominated charities from amounts raised on the day but i would acknowledge they are not strictly charitable cycles as such like the RoK is.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭ugsparky

I intended to do this with my wife, but I'm not paying €200. I already have committed to cycles where I'll raise money for charity for local charities (so far we've raised €65,000 for the local hospice). This smacks of mugging people off - a bit like the guys on the street who try to "sell" you charity by pricking your conscience - whilst earning commission.

I have raised substancial amounts of cash in the past - the ROK will have two less people this year and have lost the €100 I would have donated. Sad that they have decided in their wisdom to try and skin people - was it not enough that I would have paid for a hotel, eaten and drank and spent money in Killarney ? Anyone that's doing it I hope you enjoy it and have a good day - I'll stick with the local charities and the An Post series. Saddened and angered by this ... were the Healy-Rae's on the committee by any chance ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭Masala

There could be a major backlash on this...and whilst I appreciate that 'its for charity' , the committee must realise that there already a hugh drain on peoples income this year and like the poster above - I cant afford €200 for myself and my wife.

I have a 'mate' who is pushing me to cycle for his charity and I'm going to offer him €120-€140 for both of us and see what he says.

No-one is making budgets these days and if the committee think that they'll top €840k again this year by introducing a new entry fee - I have a feeling they will be sorely dissapointed!!

...to be honest -this has taken the goodness of out the spin that I was looking forward to so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭lescol

Sign up here:- http://cunamhiveragh.com/ring-of-kerry-cycle-2013/ and donate your €50, no minimum donation required:D

• Advertisement

I have to be honest, I'm quite disappointed that the ROK has gone down this route. If they were thinking about maximising the charity money they could make, adding €10 to the suggested price wouldn't be the end of the world (though still on the steep side), but doubling it just seems, well, greedy. I'm wondering whether they actually want to reduce the numbers entering for some reason, perhaps to make it easier to marshal.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement