Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ring of Kerry 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Of course, expect trains to Mallow to be full of bikes also. :)

http://www.irishrail.ie/cat_news.jsp?i=4864&p=116&n=237
    'Bike transfers' in place from Mallow for customers travelling to Killarney for the Ring of Kerry Charity Cycle
    04 July 2013

Iarnród Éireann Irish Rail would like to advise customers travelling to the 'Ring of Kerry Charity Cycle' in Killarney this weekend that there will be 'bike transfers' in place from Mallow station.

This means that owners bikes will be transferred from the train into an awaiting truck to be transported to Killarney station, customers will continue their journey by train and collect their bikes in Killarney station.

Bike transfers will be as follows;
    Friday 5th July -
    * 15:30hrs Mallow to Killarney
    * 17:30hrs Mallow to Killarney
    * 21:30hrs Mallow to Killarney

Sunday 7th July -
    * 11:15hrs Killarney to Mallow (Cyclists need to have their bikes at the station by 10:30hrs)

Customers can purchase tickets for themselves and their bikes at the station on the day of travel, or they can book their rail ticket above now and purchase a ticket for their bike at the station.

Cyclists should note the following;
    * Bicycles need to be properly labelled (sticker or label with name of owner on crossbar will be sufficient), prior to boarding trains.
    * Cyclists need to have their valid rail and bike tickets available for inspection before boarding their selected trains.
    * Cyclists need to print, read and sign this special Indemnity form and give it to the Iarnród Éireann – Irish Rail supervisor on arrival at Mallow Station on Friday, 5th July 2013.
    * Cyclists should have their bicycles in Killarney Station no later than 10.30am on Sunday morning.

Finally, we would like to wish all participants the very best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭HivemindXX

Amprodude wrote: »
    Where is the exact start point tomorrow? Is it the new street car park or what?

Their site says start and finish at New Street Car Park.

I've used Streetview and it seems that New Street doesn't have a car park! I am currently assuming that the large car park on Mission Road and Beech Road is the one we need. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

Where I'm talking about: http://goo.gl/maps/CVBaq

Ideally I'd like to register this evening instead of in the morning but it's going to be pretty tight to make it before 10pm. Don't want to be driving around looking for the right car park if I can avoid it.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭ruffmut

HivemindXX wrote: »
    Their site says start and finish at New Street Car Park.

I've used Streetview and it seems that New Street doesn't have a car park! I am currently assuming that the large car park on Mission Road and Beech Road is the one we need. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

Where I'm talking about: http://goo.gl/maps/CVBaq

Ideally I'd like to register this evening instead of in the morning but it's going to be pretty tight to make it before 10pm. Don't want to be driving around looking for the right car park if I can avoid it.

That's the one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

gdavis wrote: »
    any epo floating around lads???

its laced in the barmbrack!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 468 ✭✭VanhireBoys

Ahh Feck.. Cant go....!

Enjoy yourselves lads and lets be careful out there !

Say Hello to Louis Moriarty going through Sneem wont ya ...!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭donegaldude

any chance you had an entry and it's available?! I'm only up the road!

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭merc230ce

On the M7 - seems like every other car has a couple of bikes slung on the back :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Soarer

merc230ce wrote: »
    On the M7 - seems like every other car has a couple of bikes slung on the back :-)

Make sure they're still there after you come through Limerick! ;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Soarer wrote: »

Toby Young?

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭QueensGael

Soarer wrote: »

Dislike

• Advertisement

mossym wrote: »
    Toby Young?
    QueensGael wrote: »
    Dislike

Sometimes people are too sensitive. mossym's reply is fair clever though. Tip o' the cap.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭ashdale5

I'm really looking forward to / dreading tomorrow.

Delete as applicable every hour or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭CB19Kevo

With the heat expected to reach up to around 26 for the cycle i hope people will carry plenty of water.
    Plenty of support service's in place so all should go well.
    Look out for yourself and other cyclists and enjoy the day.

I'm gonna be all technogeek and stuff and post here as I'm going around. Should be interesting to see if I start babbling due to exhaustion/dehydration!

Best of luck one and all. Just make sure we can all get back on here afterwards to talk about it. Don't need anyone in a hospital bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭macnab

The car park mentioned above is indeed the start point, which means it is not available to park in. There are some (tight) spaces in the Plaza underground park but only open to residents. Someone told me there is a field somewhere in town to take the overflow. I expect car parking bedlam this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭DrChristianTroy

Thanks for responses re bike shops. Got sorted in big little bike shop...didn't think he was gonna charge so just bought a couple of tubes from him! Seem like good lads. Haven't had a puncture in 12 mts so hopefully won't need them tomorrow!!

Big queues for registration when I was leaving round half 5 but moving quick. Killarney is buzzing and all the makings of a great day! Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭DrChristianTroy

macnab wrote: »
    Someone told me there is a field somewhere in town to take the overflow. I expect car parking bedlam this year.

Field your talking bout is next to the cathedral afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Field your talking bout is next to the cathedral afaik.

Correct. Thats the one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Thanks for responses re bike shops. Got sorted in big little bike shop...didn't think he was gonna charge so just bought a couple of tubes from him! Seem like good lads. Haven't had a puncture in 12 mts so hopefully won't need them tomorrow!!

Big queues for registration when I was leaving round half 5 but moving quick. Killarney is buzzing and all the makings of a great day! Enjoy!

Queues are big. Finally got my tag and wristband.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,537 ✭✭✭✭siblers

I started Queuing at 5 and it was 6 by the time I got my tag. Standing out in the blaring heat with no shade wasn't exactly ideal. When I was heading away the queu was at least a third longer than when I had started queuing. They badly needed more people to sort through the registrations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Robotnic

Shot in the dark appeal here for anyone going from Dublin to Killarney late tonight or in morning we have left a bag with helmet and cycling shoes in booterstown can meet anywhere around town very desperate and would be very grateful to anyone who even knows anyone who could help?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

Last year I didn't bother bringing my mp3 player, but for Molls i'll be bringing it out to get up them hills :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 105 ✭✭Endurance_man

Here at the queue and it is an absolute disgrace. I have never seen such poor organisation at an event. Two queues going from the car park all the way back up the Main Street.

After people raised a lot of money this is no way to treat them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Gattacca

Just met blahblah at the high5 tent and mentioned boards and he threw in a few freebies. Hats off to him for delivering on his promise! Guaranteed to finish now;))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Here at the queue and it is an absolute disgrace. I have never seen such poor organisation at an event. Two queues going from the car park all the way back up the Main Street.

After people raised a lot of money this is no way to treat them.

Get over yourself.

There will be about 5000-6000 people trying to register. It s going to take time.
    The people taking your registration are volunteers. They will be giving up their free time to volunteer at an event for your leisure.

They and hundreds others will do it again tomorrow.
    Local businesses sponsor the food and drink that you will consumer. The support vans/massaage therapists and people handing out refreshments are doing this out of the goodnesss of their heart and a committment to community.

If you cant queue for what is a few hours then while it is an inconvenience it is not a big sacrice compared to giving up an entire weekend.

When you are enjoying the cycle tomorrow, then think of the many people that would like to cycle byt cant because they are volunteering - for you.

It'd only be Coomakista and Molls i'd use it for oh and probably the dreaded slog from Sneem to Kenmare :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3 hogs1965

Robotnic wrote: »
    Shot in the dark appeal here for anyone going from Dublin to Killarney late tonight or in morning we have left a bag with helmet and cycling shoes in booterstown can meet anywhere around town very desperate and would be very grateful to anyone who even knows anyone who could help?
    I ave a spare helmet nd shoes size 44 shimano cleats if any good PM me I live in killarney

• Advertisement

Gattacca wrote: »
    Just met blahblah at the high5 tent and mentioned boards and he threw in a few freebies. Hats off to him for delivering on his promise! Guaranteed to finish now;))

A new member with 2 posts gets free stuff? Us old timers will be flooded with gear! ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement