Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ring of Kerry 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭fabvinny

Best of luck to everyone doing the ROK cycle tomorrow,only took up cycling a couple of months back,so hope to make my ROK debut next year!! Be safe out there!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭newman10

Hi All

On behalf of all the charities involves and especially Down Syndrome Kerry Branch, I would like to thank you all for cycling.

Without the money raised, we as a volunteer charity could not possibly provide the service to our families that we do,

If you have time have a look at our website and please drop into our Coffee Shop at the entrance to the National Park. http://www.downsyndromekerry.ie/

Enjoy your day and ride safely

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭detones

Big thanks to Blahblah06 for the supply oh High 5 down here in Killarney, I'm will stocked now for tomorrow and for the next 25 ring of Kerry's!! Good buzz in Killarney tonight and Kenmare too. Carbed up, alarm set and ready to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭blahblah06

Your all very welcome lads
    See use up the mountains for more freebies.
    Great day today by all.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Soarer

My bags are packed, I'm ready to go!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭AlfaZen

Breakfast in the Gleneagle then hitting the road. Looking out the window it a beautiful morning. Best of luck everyone!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭Masala

Big thanks to Blahblah06 for the supply oh High 5

Same here... that was one busy tent!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭blahblah06

Look what high 5 can do for use lads!
    Up the top of coomakista

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Craig06

Well, done in just under 6 and a half hours. The heat climbing molls gap was mental. Bit of a dull start to the day but really brightened up. Note for next year: need more training on distances.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭okane1

Finished in 6hrs 5mins. Unreal cycle today. Did it last year & thought it was an excellent event, only for this year to blow my mind. Organising was excellent, food & drink lovely. Some atmosphere at the finish line with many supporters out in force.
    The good weather was certainly lovely but it made climbing Molls Gap a bit harder.

Defo will be back next year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Craig06

Anyone see the guy in full Euskatel gear and bike? Was he a pro as he certainly looked like one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

Saw lots of euro 88 jerseys, I want one. Sliabh luichra cc also had a nice kit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭devotional1993

Saw lots of euro 88 jerseys, I want one. Sliabh luichra cc also had a nice kit.

Didnt see them.Anyone a pic? Nice hill 13 jerseys too.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭madrabui

BOfN6IZCAAAgvnz.jpg

From twitter 'This is what its all about #warmstheheart #ROKcycle pic.twitter.com/AGEU7ESxzy'

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Did it in 6hrs 10mins. I found the gap harder this year. Anyone see a bike with a trailer and a baby inside it? Absolute ridiculous. The safety of the baby springs to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Listrydude

First ROK cycle done and dusted! What a day for it! Absolutely loved it, though wrecked.com now!! The volunteers were outstanding as we're those along the route cheering us on! A day I will never forget!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭CptMackey

Great day out. Did it some where over the 6 hours. Meet ROK ON on the way into sneam. And met one other boardsie then at the end.

Very enjoyable day out. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭LeftBlank

Amprodude wrote: »
    Did it in 6hrs 10mins. I found the gap harder this year. Anyone see a bike with a trailer and a baby inside it? Absolute ridiculous. The safety of the baby springs to mind.

How is that ridiculous?

LeftBlank wrote: »
    How is that ridiculous?

I really dont have to explain. Its obvious why im saying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,537 ✭✭✭✭siblers

madrabui wrote: »
    BOfN6IZCAAAgvnz.jpg

From twitter 'This is what its all about #warmstheheart #ROKcycle pic.twitter.com/AGEU7ESxzy'

I was just behind them when that happened. :cool:

Really enjoyed the cycle this year, after putting my new bike through a real workout, I absolutley love it :D. I found the cycle a lot easier this year than last year, kinda struggled from Glenbeigh to Cahersiveen though with the strong winds. Molls Gap was grand once I got into my rhythm, managed to sprint the final KM of it which I was pretty happy with. I threw on my earphones before I went for Coomakista and it made it much easier too. Sneem to Kenmare seemed much shorter than last year as well, it was tough from Sneem to Templenoe but from Templenoe to Kenmare, it was fairly handy.

My nutrition was a lot better this year than last year as well, avoided eating any junk and just had a few energy bars, banana, isotonic drinks and water. Only real complaint was the lack of toilets in Sneem (unless I missed them somewhere)

Got frustrated a few times when cyclists would be cycling down the middle of the road, making it kinda dangerous to pass them, or when I used to get boxed in and had to wait for cyclists on my right to pass so I could get out.

• Advertisement

I really dont have to explain. Its obvious why im saying it.

It's not entirely obvious, hence why I'm asking.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭migozarad

How is that ridiculous?

Agree with Amprodude apropos the "ridiculous" and unnecessary imperilling of a child by towing him/her behind the bike and yes I witnessed it today and have seen it before at sean kellytour of waterford-it shouldn't be permitted..end of. Did the event in 6hrs 30mins-"beasted" Molls Gap but legs "fizzled out" somewhat after that.Enjoyed the event,copious amount of tasty grub,wondrous scenery and good all-round buzz.

migozarad wrote: »
    Agree with Amprodude apropos the "ridiculous" and unnecessary imperilling of a child.

So how exactly is the child "unnecessarily imperilled"?

It's not entirely obvious, hence why I'm asking.

If a accident happened the baby could be killed. Someone could be late on the breaks and go straight into trailer. ROK is dangerous enough without having the need to tow a baby around the Ring. Its unnecessary IMO.

If a accident happened the baby could be killed. Someone could be late on the breaks and go straight into trailer. ROK is dangerous enough without having the need to tow a baby around the Ring. Its unnecessary IMO.

Everything has a risk. The baby could also be killed crossing the road if a motorist doesn't stop in time - does that mean that we shouldn't allow parents to cross the road with their children in tow?

Assuming that it's a proper trailer (i.e. something like this http://www.wiggle.co.uk/burley-bee-bike-trailer/) then the risks are actually quite low. I think you are being a bit hysterical and that this should be the kind of thing that is encouraged in sportives.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Jovetic

Finished it :D:D:D:D:D

Not sure about time to be honest. 7.5 hrs? Happy enough for my first time, 120km is the most I've done in a day up to now :D

Coomakista was easy, I don't know what all the fuss was about. Molls Gap was fine too although I did take a nice long break as base camp and loaded up on the sugar bars. Didn't use gels or cleats either so very happy indeed. Met Enda Kenny at the end. Wonder if he saw the huge poster at Molls Gap saying he was not welcome :p

Agree about the baby, I passed him out but it was ludicrous. Thankfully didn't see too many incidents, hope everyone made it round safe.

Bring on next year :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Stunning day.
    Big thanks to all of the volunteers.

One thught was that the roads that were closed didnt really require closing, and some roads that were open should have been closed (ie Caherciveen - Kenmare).
    It was dangerous in parts.

I think next year the organisers should consider a stop go ssytem at both sides of Sneem for bikes and cars. Some very very serious conjestion.

Once I finished I went for a beautiful dip off the pier in Kenmare.

Brought my kids out to cheer on the cyclists going up Molls.

There was still a steady stream heading up from 5pm to 530pm. Fair dues - thats a long day in the saddle. Well done to all who completed.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Frere Jacques

Big thanks to all the Marshalls, volunteers and Gardai. Top class run event. Finish line was much better in the car park, safer for kids and better for the participents. Well done to the charities, the tae was very welcome and they even put the milk in as I'd say I could hold the bottle at the end. We got a great welcome back in. Did it in 7.57 including stops. Had to hammer the last 25K after the gap to get under the 8hr. Felt like gawking at one stage but stayed at it. Thanks to Midleton for the tow from Glenbeigh. Some difference being in a train going into that wind.
    Only accident I saw was the lad from Finuge at the top of Coomakista, he glided over to the wall about 1 foot high couldn't unclip, fell over on his left and over the wall and into the stoney field below. Thank God he was okay and it was only about 12 ft instead of a cliff.
    Fab event. Back again next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭JOHN_70

A great day out, my first time doing it and I will be back. A very different atmosphere to some of the other sportives/charity cycles I've done.
    Thanks and well done to all of the organisers, marshals etc!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭Masala

Hats off to this years Committee!!! A job Well Done.

1. New Start/ Finish Location a BIG Success.
    2. The IN / Out at Caherciveen definitely Worked.
    3. The layout of the Food in Caherciveen worked!
    4. The layout of the lane home on Muckross Road was a HUGE success!
    5. The weather was Great....

Only positives from me today... negatives are for another day!!

Thanks you to all the Helpers.... This country can be a great country when we pull together and want a job well done!!

PS... I would rather not see people post I did it in XXXX. That is not what this event is about. Rather say I went at 7am and got home at 4pm. Enjoy the scenery, the 'Bant', food and the occasion.!! Rant over!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement