Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ring of Kerry 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

LeftBlank wrote: »
    Everything has a risk. The baby could also be killed crossing the road if a motorist doesn't stop in time - does that mean that we shouldn't allow parents to cross the road with their children in tow?

Assuming that it's a proper trailer (i.e. something like this http://www.wiggle.co.uk/burley-bee-bike-trailer/) then the risks are actually quite low. I think you are being a bit hysterical and that this should be the kind of thing that is encouraged in sportives.

Well this has a bigger risk with 8500 bikes on road. All it takes is one mistake or one moment of not concentrating. It would be similiar to putting a baby in a rally car. Bigger risk of getting killed than just crossing the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭LeftBlank

Amprodude wrote: »
    Well this has a bigger risk with 8500 bikes on road. All it takes is one mistake or one moment of not concentrating. It would be similiar to putting a baby in a rally car. Bigger risk of getting killed than just crossing the road.

Maybe it's just me but I would have thought that a 2.5 tonne motor propelled vehicle would do more damage than a 100kg (being generous) cyclist. All the child trailers that I have seen have a multiple-point (usually 5) harness and a roll cage.

I agree that the risk of collision is higher, but the risk of any injury is lower, and saying "the baby could have been killed" is just ill-founded hysterics.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭madrabui

There are still cyclists on the road trying to finish. I want to run up to them and give them a hug!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Hats off. This is a national treasure of an event and probably the best of it kind anywhere. Thourghly enjoyed every minute of it and was actually sad crossing finish line. Great buzz at finish line too with all the cheering from the very large crowd of spectators.

Looking forward to 2014 already.

Brilliant day out again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Amprodude wrote: »
    if you can't take a child in a trailer on a day like this, when there are thousands of people of all ages and abilities out and about on bikes, then when exactly would you propose that it would be appropriate ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

I'm home, I did it, I'm wrecked but so glad someone convinced me to go for it. Back in Feb I never thought it would actually work out but it did. struggled on Molls Gap but got hand on the back (one on each side left and right) for the last 500m making it easier. felt kinda guilty sailing past others struggling at this point but that's what friends are for :) crossed over finishing line with my gang who all waited outside of Killarney for me so that we all crossed together, great cheering from the spectators to get me over the line.

well done to everyone - cyclists, marshals, helpers, spectators, photographers, medical crews - the list is endless. hope everyone safe & well tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Tomred13

Just want to say a heart felt thanks to all the Ring of Kerry Vounteers, locals,spectators today for all their support and applause, was shocked coming into the finish with all the people cheering.. what an amazing event.. very impressed at the folks on highnellys n mtnbikes.. Chapeau to the 8500 who took part.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭Masala

when there are thousands of people of all ages and abilities out and about on bikes

Technically - you have to be over 18 to take part in this cycle as per the ROK rules.

There is a Friday night spin in the National Park for Parents & Kids so as to make a family weekend out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭GKiraly

Anyone see a bike with a trailer and a baby inside it? Absolute ridiculous. The safety of the baby springs to mind.

Ya I seen that, and no more than a running event last year where some dude was running with a pram, I cringed. Is cycling/running really that addictive that they have to take their kid with them, even at the age the kid is at? Between yesterday and last years spectacle, I have to admit, I cringed at the sight of participants taking kids with them, its got "im absolutely hooked on this sport and if I have to take my kid with me despite their no say in the matter just to take part then so be it", selfishness is written all over it. Is the recession in Ireland really that crippling financially on the price of babysitting or are there really people out there who think that their own self serving hobby achievements are above even their own child?

Self serving pride aside, top class event, really enjoyed it, weather was perfect, food stops excellent, roll on next year :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭AlfaZen

Just a quick thank you to the organizers, top job! You all made a great event even better. My fellow cyclists who were so friendly and encouraging all the way around. To my friends who cycled with me for a fantastic shared experience.

I exercised a few ghosts yesterday after have to call it a day in Sneem last year (I was 6 weeks after knee surgery).

A bit sore a stiff this morning but still feel fantastic.

Well done to all that made contributions to help make it the best off days and for such worthy causes too.

Thanks. AZ

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Soarer

Made it around safe and sound. Was gonna call over to Blahblah at the top of Coom but was all shy!
    Must admit that the thought of the climbs was worse than the climbs themselves. That's not to say they were easy mind. Just a case of picking a gear, and keep turning over. Excellent support at the top. There was a lady there that just said "congratulations, ye've made it up Moll's Gap!" Couldn't help getting a little surge of pride at hearing that.

Absolutely chuffed to have got the whole thing done. The finish was excellent. The locals were out in force and clapped and cheered us home. Really made it feel like we'd achieved something.

Unfortunately I saw a few fallers along the way. Nothing too serious, but hopefully all are ok.

So congrats to one and all. Excellent event. The Rebel Tour has a lot to live up to!

Hopefully Cork will do the business today and it'll make it the perfect weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭blahblah06

Soarer wrote: »
    Made it around safe and sound. Was gonna call over to Blahblah at the top of Coom but was all shy!

Ah you should have dropped over.
    I don't bite.
    Was really good to put a few faces to the user names.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Soarer

We didn't hang around too long up there tbh. 'twas chilly enough when we were there.

What a great day out on the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭detones

Well what a great day that was. Delighted to get round safe and sound. Could have gone quicker but that's not what this event is about. Enjoyed the decents particularly but that's my thing.

Seen a Chap in a bad way coming down molls. Hope he's ok I'm sure it looked worse than it was.

Met some great people on my way round. Like chap from Killorgan who was getting over triple bypass he was riding a lovely old colnago bike with retro jersey and kit. This event shows how great this country can be what beautiful scenery we have and what a committed and generous community can achieve. Thanks to all involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

amazing day :) surprised myself at how i did considering i had zero training done, zoomed up and down molls gap :D and the crowds marshals volunteers and organizers deserve a well placed clap on the back, Well done to everyone !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭paddydriver

Well done to everyone that took part! I am getting booked for next year and will try best to shed a few stone in meantime:D

Will be driving those same roads in a few weeks when we head to Dingle for our holidays. I love driving the road of Kerry and have gone there every year of last 40!

Can't wait to get opportunity to cycle them next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Well done to everyone that took part! I am getting booked for next year and will try best to shed a few stone in meantime:D

Will be driving those same roads in a few weeks when we head to Dingle for our holidays. I love driving the road of Kerry and have gone there every year of last 40!

Can't wait to get opportunity to cycle them next year.

Going via the ROK to get to Dingle???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭on_the_nickel

hogs1965 wrote: »
    MOD VOICE: Deleted post

Yeah, instead of seeing the sights and sounds of a festival in Kerry, on a lovely summers day, that child should have been at home, wrapped in bubble wrap, playing Nintendo.

there were official looking photographers at the finish yesterday - do they put the photos up on website or somewhere ? anyone know

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭wayne0308

My first time doing this this year and enjoyed it thoroughly. I'm a bit tender today but overall not in bad shape considering. Congrats to everyone taking part yesterday.

Came across one crash where a woman was off her bike lying at the side of the road just a little bit on the far side of the top of coomakista, she looked like she had some bad cuts and was dazed, hope she's okay!

Overall it was a great day and very well organised, thanks to everyone who volunteered! I'll definitely be back next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

there were official looking photographers at the finish yesterday - do they put the photos up on website or somewhere ? anyone know

yes. Not sure when but last year they had them up pretty fast. You will get a shot of you crossing the finish line.

They were making a documentary about it too. That's what the helicopter was doing.

they must have some pretty amazing shots from that helicopter - such a clear day. gave it a Tour de France atmosphere with it hovering around the mountains in glorious sunshine.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

hogs1965 wrote: »
    Quoting deleted post

That's the last post of that tone. You can't call somebody a SOB or an idiot.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭connie_c

Me and my mate did if for our 3rd year in a row. He is 17 stone 6 foot 6 rugby player build. His Carbon Fibre seat post failed at Glenbeigh around 30km in. Snapped in half. He thought his day was over and I thought I was going to have to go on alone. The day was ruined. We called the emergency number and they said leave it with us. Thankfully the seatpost had 27.2mm printed on it so we knew what we needed. They sent a mechanic to a bike shop in Killorglan and he drove out to us with the new seatpost! Incredible service. He paid for it and we gave him the money when he got out! Incredible service. We lost an hour and 10mins hanging around but we enoyed the cycle so much more as we nearly didnt make it. Thanks to the organisers and mechanics for such a great job!

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Vivienne23

Got around in one piece , fierce chuffed with myself :D , left at 6am home at quarter past 6pm , long day but got there in the end ! What other cycles would have the same atmosphere as the ring of Kerry? Think I caught the bug , I'm sitting down today but feel like I should be out cycling for the ROK can't believe it's over so quickly , we'll done to all !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

BailMeOut wrote: »
    yes. Not sure when but last year they had them up pretty fast. You will get a shot of you crossing the finish line.

They were making a documentary about it too. That's what the helicopter was doing.

Last year the Killarney camera club posted thousands of pics. Just give them a few days to get organised. There was also a documentary made this year to mark the Rok's 30th anniversary so it will be great to see that.
    Personally we had a great day, 3 of us joined in with a fast moving group around glenbeigh and we made good progress, felt good for most of the day but the heat on molls gap was cruel, I was glad of the red bull and cold water at the top. Organisation, marshalling etc was terrific, the finish in the town center was super, good craic afterwards swapping stories so a big high 5 to the organizing committee and everyone involved on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Hu Deman

A really big thanks to all the organisers and volunteers yesterday,A fantastic atmosphere , I had'nt been on the bike in three months and struggled around yesterday ,but the support from every one really helped , have to start the training early for next year.
    Looking forward to it already

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

in continuation from here:

Well I have never experienced anything remotely like the Ring of Kerry, in every sense of the word! Phenomenal :)

We had our first stop in Caherciveen and we seemed to make it there in record time! Out-standing Service by all the volunteers in Caherciveen. never seen the likes of it before; just shocked me. I'd heard the stories of everything provided; but to see it first-hand and the chain of motion by all, with a smile and words of encouragement, just threw me tbh! Amazing.

Next stop was top of Coomakista (photos taken). I'd the life frightened outta me about Coomakista but we made it up grand and easy, just took our sweet time and replenished again with some bananas and mars bars above with yet food & water stop provided for all! Food & Water stops seemed to be just everywhere!

Off to Sneem we set and that sight just threw me completely. To see hundreds and thousands of cyclists all decend on that wee village was some sight (took a little video). I've never seen the likes before! A bus came through the village in amongst all the cyclists and motorists but their was 1Guard I saw roaring at another down the other side "Tis bedlam! Hold them will ya; just hold em!". The pressure was on & all traffic was stopped. That bus should never have been allowed through that village at that time.
    Anywhoo; had some lovely lunch in Sneem before we set off for Kenmare. I'm still wondering how I am managing this at all; surreal would be an under-statement.
    Passed on through Templenoe before we knew it and stopped opposite Whites for a snack and re-replenishment again before hitting Molls Gap which was phenomenal! Everyone cheering All approaching Cyclists to the top. The band; atmosphere; throngs of cyclists everywhere. I've never experienced anything like it.
    Off on our decent down to Ladies View and Home was within reach - delira :)

The volunteers - wonderful and supportive!
    The marshals & support crews - an absolute Gods' send! They were everywhere and anytime they saw someone stopped for any reason, they asked if all was okay. Fantastic Support!

The final leg home actually brought a tear to me eye. Never seen the likes. The noise; the music; the crowds; the weather; the intense feeling of knowing I've this huge challenge near completion was just Wonderful for me.

I've never experienced anything like this. Never thought that I, yes me, could ever actually complete a Challenge of this Magnitude but I did!

Ring of Kerry 180km Charity Cycle for Down Syndrome Ireland (Kerry) marked off my bucket-list!
    I'm just proud of everyone who was involved!

Many Thanks to Everyone who took part in some shape or form. Hope you are all proud! I can easily see why others taken part year-in and year-out. Will be back around again please God!

Thanks,
    kerry4sam

• Advertisement

Just remembered the bongo players at the side of some road, what a bunch of legends.

Third year doing the RoK, I wore my cornflakes jersey instead of a boards jersey but still met a good few boardsies on the roads.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement