Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ring of Kerry 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

I've nothing to add on what's been said already - simply impeccable organisation. I did the cycle last year, but for some reason this year felt 1000 times better in every way. Thanks to all the organisers.

http://app.strava.com/activities/65111597

969315_665866346761223_1749127422_n.jpg

(not me in the photo)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 theSOB

Third time doing the ROK and I have to say it's greatly improved this year. Which is a feat because it was already the best cycling event in Ireland. I was surprised when they moved the finish and had to muster the energy to do the extra bit!!

The sign "banning" Enda Kenny was shameful. EVERYONE should be welcomed on the cycle. I'm sure it wasn't sanctioned by the ROK committee. It's not right to highjack the event for your own personal agenda/vendatta.

theSOB wrote: »
    The sign "banning" Enda Kenny was shameful. EVERYONE should be welcomed on the cycle. I'm sure it wasn't sanctioned by the ROK committee. It's not right to highjack the event for your own personal agenda/vendatta.
    It wouldn't need to be sanctioned by the ROK committee to be put up, not that I agree with it either. I did find it funny though - it's gone today anyway. Had to laugh at the misspelling of the word "shameful" for such a serious message :D

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭merc230ce

Had to laugh at the misspelling of the word "shameful" for such a serious message :D

While we're being Spelling Nazis - what about the 'Cycle MarshaLL's that were out round the course??

merc230ce wrote: »
    While we're being Spelling Nazis - what about the 'Cycle MarshaLL's that were out round the course??

Erm...what?

• Advertisement

Erm...what?

There should be only one L
    (Says he after panicking and checking to make sure)

There should be only one L
    (Says he after panicking and checking to make sure)

I know there's only one L, who spelled it as "marshalls"...!? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3 hogs1965

MOD VOICE: Goodbye

I know there's only one L, who spelled it as "marshalls"...!? :D

Their jerseys!

Their jerseys!

Ahhh....gotcha. Never even noticed! :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭PandyAndy

That was some day! Volunteers did an amazing job, could not have done it any better! Me and my brother started at 6am and finished at 7pm (if you saw two lads on matching red Specialized mountain bikes that was us) Found Coomakista to be so arduous but thought was Molls Gap was pretty easy, even managed to bomb it up that hill near the end :D Definitely doing it next year! Again great job by all the volunteers (And blahblah for the high5 stuff :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

neither did I. just curious what the purpose of the marshals was. I saw them flying past a huge bunch who were badly struggling without a query to see if everyone was alright and another time I asked question of them about where we were, and they didn't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,537 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Their jerseys!

Yeah, I was wondering what their jersey's where about. Came across them 5 or 6 times yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

hogs1965 wrote: »
    MOD VOICE: Quoting deleted post
    how do you know they did the whole thing? maybe they were in the trailer for a section and then dropped off with granny or mammy or daddy? or maybe they were just out for their regular Saturday trip to the beach, what with living on the route ?

Moving on, I took a few photos, mostly involving people which I won't post but I managed to get this one going up Moll's Gap which I'm happy included one of the 2013 jerseys.

4CPnHa.jpg

It might be an idea to raise the entry free/donation threshold and give everyone a cycling jersey in their race pack. I've done the Dublin Night Run and a few of the other tours and it looks class everyone wearing the same jersey. It would also further promote the event for the future.

No, that would just put people off. Not everyone would wear the jersey anyway...anyone from a club will wear their club's jersey. I got a jersey at last year's event and have never worn it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Mr.Fred

It would also further promote the event for the future.

I don't think it needs anymore tbh looking at all the threads started for Spare tickets. I think an inflated price would probably put folks off.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭thewatch

Hi,
    I was a motorcycle marshal. I really enjoyed my day and I'll be back. I did over 570 miles to be there over the weekend and I loved every mile almost. Numb getting home but that's not quite the same as cycling for a full day.

Congratulaions to you all for getting round!

I hope those who fell get well soon. Unfortunately there were a few I saw but I have no details on how they are now.

It was hard to make a difference with all the traffic and large numbers but hopefully we did. I think the organisers improved on last year and overall did the best they could.

I saw big improvements on getting to people with burst tyres, tubes and breakdowns. Last year I think that was a bit hopeless so this year I brought my own bike repairs supplies. To be fair as I was repalacing tubes and a broken chain the repair crew were always in contact to make sure cyclists were being looked after. I hope my repairs lasted as well :D Tis mad seeing peoples reaction to having a bike fault but there was nothing negative

Thanks to all the cyclists who were bike aware and warned me in advance when I was unsighted about traffic.

Overall the mood was calm, enjoyable and quite fun. Not many lunitic missions across the white line helped. If only we could keep the 4 wheelers or more off the road ;)

See you next year
    THeHotBiker

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭on_the_nickel

Mr.Fred wrote: »
    I don't think it needs anymore tbh looking at all the threads started for Spare tickets. I think an inflated price would probably put folks off.

Are you putting words in my mouth, Fred? :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭ballyharpat

Was in the bar last night and your jersey was the topic of conversation, along with another food related jersey, can't remember which one....I like the Mars kit.

Loved the African drum players as well, fair play to them, great weekend all around!
    Dónal wrote: »
    Just remembered the bongo players at the side of some road, what a bunch of legends.

Third year doing the RoK, I wore my cornflakes jersey instead of a boards jersey but still met a good few boardsies on the roads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭ballyharpat

I agree 100% Whoever put this up should be made take it down-and apologize, not only to Enda, but to the rest of the locals, as a Killarney man, I am not agreeing with them telling someone they can't enjoy our scenery....
    The finish line was a great change as well, brought more business to the town and less congestion....

Third time doing the ROK and I have to say it's greatly improved this year. Which is a feat because it was already the best cycling event in Ireland. I was surprised when they moved the finish and had to muster the energy to do the extra bit!!

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Zenson

Did my first ROK thanks to a boardsie for the registration. Won't be making the mistake of not registering in time again. Super weekend. Brilliant turnout in Killarney to welcome home the cyclists. And to top it off the Dubs win Leinster hurling for first time in my lifetime. I'm no young fella!

Was in the bar last night and your jersey was the topic of conversation, along with another food related jersey, can't remember which one....I like the Mars kit.

Was it the Heinz Baked Beans one? Saw him a few times.

I agree 100% Whoever put this up should be made take it down-and apologize, not only to Enda, but to the rest of the locals, as a Killarney man, I am not agreeing with them telling someone they can't enjoy our scenery....
    The finish line was a great change as well, brought more business to the town and less congestion....

Like I already mentioned, it wasn't there this morning when we drove up there. As for apologising, I believe Enda Kenny deserves all the abuse he gets :D
    For some strange reason I also remember seeing a Cornflakes jersey, somehow, out of all 8500 other cyclists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Donal

I didn't realise that that was you in the Cornflakes jersey - class.

Saw three guys wearing a mars bar jersey which looked sweet.
    Also saw a Heinz beans jersey and a Brooklyn Beer jersey.

The most popular jersey was BMC - strangely though none of the BMC riders were on a BMC steed.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Jovetic

Maybe it was just me but I didn't see any of the food stops :confused:

In Cahirsiveen there was a load of people outside the first petrol station into town so I just went in there. I think the food stop may have been at the other end of town on the right? Was there tae and sangwiches?

In Kenmare I followed the signs for the food/water stop (turned right at end of hill) and again all I could find was another petrol station. :confused:

Got some water from some young budding entrepreneurs at Kenmare in the end :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

I've nothing to add on what's been said already - simply impeccable organisation. I did the cycle last year, but for some reason this year felt 1000 times better in every way. Thanks to all the organisers.

http://app.strava.com/activities/65111597

969315_665866346761223_1749127422_n.jpg

(not me in the photo)

I started as usual in Kenmare and made it over Molls Gap at 735am.
    That signage was not at Molls cross roads yesterday morning.

Whatever ones politics, I think there are more appropriTe ways to protest rather than trying to hijack a leisure event.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

Like I already mentioned, it wasn't there this morning when we drove up there. As for apologising, I believe Enda Kenny deserves all the abuse he gets :D

For some strange reason I also remember seeing a Cornflakes jersey, somehow, out of all 8500 other cyclists.

Ya there was some standout jerseys, Waterford biscuits, various soccer based jerseys, Milan, Barcelona , baked beans, corn flakes, face book, and a lady in a Col de Galibier jersey, she told me she climbs it every year :eek:.

ROK ON wrote: »
    I started as usual in Kenmare and made it over Molls Gap at 735am.
    That signage was not at Molls cross roads yesterday morning.
    That photo was taken at 2pm on the dot. It wasn't there this morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Jovetic

It was there when I passed around 4:30

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement