Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ring of Kerry 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭PandyAndy

Jovetic wrote: »
    Maybe it was just me but I didn't see any of the food stops :confused:

In Cahirsiveen there was a load of people outside the first petrol station into town so I just went in there. I think the food stop may have been at the other end of town on the right? Was there tae and sangwiches?

In Kenmare I followed the signs for the food/water stop (turned right at end of hill) and again all I could find was another petrol station. :confused:

Got some water from some young budding entrepreneurs at Kenmare in the end :D

Ha, yea the Caherciveen one was at the end of the town... how you missed you I don't know, it was huge, it was the school or something they used, and they're was loads of food there :D

In Kenmare it was at the holy cross church

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭ustazjoseph

there were official looking photographers at the finish yesterday - do they put the photos up on website or somewhere ? anyone know
    I think they were from the killarney camera club . last year they put up lots of pics
    http://www.google.ie/#sclient=psy-ab&q=killarney+camera+club+ring+of+kerry+2012&oq=killarney+camera+club&gs_l=hp.1.1.0l2j0i22i30l2.2226.7853.0.10847.21.16.0.5.5.1.1014.4346.8j1j1j3j0j1j1j1.16.0....0...1c.1.19.psy-ab.vQ9LHPylXEc&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&bvm=bv.48705608,d.ZG4&fp=e523fe6c3433b4b3&biw=1366&bih=664

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭on_the_nickel

Did anyone come across the nut from Killorglin CC who was on his second loop of the ring? He was with us from Coomakista til the drag before Sneem, said he started out at 2:30am!

Said he'd planned to do it 3 times but his knee was sore 8-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

Did anyone come across the nut from Killorglin CC who was on his second loop of the ring? He was with us from Coomakista til the drag before Sneem, said he started out at 2:30am!

Said he'd planned to do it 3 times but his knee was sore 8-)

There was another guy from Clonmel who was doing it twice this year - did it three times last year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

I would not be surprised if that was Eoin Ryan - he organises the Iveragh 200 and has done Race Around Ireland twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭on_the_nickel

ROK ON wrote: »
    I would not be surprised if that was Eoin Ryan - he organises the Iveragh 200 and has done Race Around Ireland twice.

That would make sense alright. Definitely plan to do the Iveragh next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭merc230ce

Dónal wrote: »
    Moving on, I took a few photos, mostly involving people which I won't post but I managed to get this one going up Moll's Gap which I'm happy included one of the 2013 jerseys.

4CPnHa.jpg

Ha! That's me!

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Frere Jacques

I saw the Jersey with "2 rings of Kerry" on it and was wondering what that was about.
    Didn't see the chopper. :(
    Did see the guy in the Wallace and Gromit jersey with the two lads on the back of it smiling and the quote "Keep up lads". Got a good kick out of that.
    Can't wait for the pics.
    Cheers to the dude with the Lions match on for the updates.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Jovetic

Spotted the chopper at Molls Gap.

Watch out for me on the DVD, King of the Hills :cool:

• Advertisement

I thought the Brooklyn Brewery jersey was the coolest one out there. I didn't get the 'Hill 13' ones - am I just being thick?

Watch out for me on the DVD, King of the Hills :cool:
    Strava or GTFO :D

Some photos up on Killarney Camera Club West Kerry Camera Club (I think). Boardsie spotted here:

944477_618488698161517_1698425410_n.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=618488698161517&set=a.618447211498999.1073741835.287117934631930&type=3&theater

• Registered Users Posts: 12,537 ✭✭✭✭siblers

merc230ce wrote: »
    I thought the Brooklyn Brewery jersey was the coolest one out there. I didn't get the 'Hill 13' ones - am I just being thick?

They were Dubs, referencing Croke Park.(I presume so anyway)

Edit:
    What the hell am I on about, hill 16 is for croke park. Not sure really so

I saw the guy with the Wallace and Gromit jersey, was probably the coolest jersey I saw on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Dónal wrote: »
    Some photos up on Killarney Camera Club West Kerry Camera Club (I think). Boardsie spotted here:

944477_618488698161517_1698425410_n.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=618488698161517&set=a.618447211498999.1073741835.287117934631930&type=3&theater

Hey hey I'm famous!

Nice one!

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Jovetic

Quite disappointed by the amount of rubbish that was left behind on the roads. Gel wrappers and water bottles mainly. Water bottles may have accidently come off but there were loads of them on the roads. :confused:

Spotted a few pumps and spare tubes aswell again they must have fell off.

The gel wrappers though :mad::mad::mad:

When is the An Post Cork race and where do I sign up?

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭lescol

12th ROK for me and I haven't seen so many falls at any cycling event. Thankfully most were at low speed, two at the top of Coomakista where the inside rider decided to cut right knocking off the guy outside him, a fall half way up Coomakista which could have been nasty as there was a van driving towards the head of the downed rider, one half way up Molls which had a helmet stuck in the spokes of a bike. Three being pulled out of the ditches. There were more.

Still managed to enjoy the spin. Glorious day for it, lots of banter along the way, some "heroes" out there, the first timers, those in rain jackets! in longs!

It is so pleasant to descend from Molls knowing it's a closed road!

There were a fair few who cycled without registration, I met droves while driving into Killarney along the Milltown/Fossa road.

There are photos up on a Facebook page:- https://www.facebook.com/jim.mcsweeney.3

Well done to everyone on the day, volunteers and cyclists.

siblers wrote: »
    They were Dubs, referencing Croke Park.

Yes, but why Hill 13 instead of Hill 16?

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Frere Jacques

It might be a 2013 thing. Who knows (or cares).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,537 ✭✭✭✭siblers

merc230ce wrote: »
    Yes, but why Hill 13 instead of Hill 16?
    I edited my orginal post, I got the two of them totally confussed :pac:. I'm not sure really, I was wondering the same thing when I saw the jersey and I managed to think it had to do with Croke Park. Maybe its some infamous cycling hill or something?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Anyone see any nice bikes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Amprodude wrote: »

Yes, cycled with a lad (along with a clubmate and another lad) from Killorglin CC had a nice Kuota with fancy wheels. Mind you, I did most of the work at the front :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

spent teh day looking for anyone riding another rose and failed. i've only seen one other owner, and that was triathy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

Quite disappointed by the amount of rubbish that was left behind on the roads. Gel wrappers and water bottles mainly. Water bottles may have accidently come off but there were loads of them on the roads. :confused:

Spotted a few pumps and spare tubes aswell again they must have fell off.

The gel wrappers though :mad::mad::mad:

When is the An Post Cork race and where do I sign up?

The rebel tour is on the 14th of September starting in Glengarriff. You can register here
    http://www.corksports.ie/index.cfm/page/2012anpostrebeltour

The Sean Kelly tour of Waterford is on the 25th of August, definitely worth considering as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Mr.Fred

I was chatting to Leo at TriAthy not the worst skin in the world once you forget he's a politician and probably got his bike (better than mine) on the bike2work which we probably paid for in some way or another.... Hmmm :D

Didn't see any Roses. I've only ever seen one (in Fairview, D3). Saw a fair few Canyons though. There was plenty of eye candy to be lusting after!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Looks like Trek and Giant sell a lot of bikes in Ireland!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 KenDowling

thewatch wrote: »
    Hi,
    I was a motorcycle marshal. I really enjoyed my day and I'll be back. I did over 570 miles to be there over the weekend and I loved every mile almost. Numb getting home but that's not quite the same as cycling for a full day.

Congratulaions to you all for getting round!

I hope those who fell get well soon. Unfortunately there were a few I saw but I have no details on how they are now.

It was hard to make a difference with all the traffic and large numbers but hopefully we did. I think the organisers improved on last year and overall did the best they could.

I saw big improvements on getting to people with burst tyres, tubes and breakdowns. Last year I think that was a bit hopeless so this year I brought my own bike repairs supplies. To be fair as I was repalacing tubes and a broken chain the repair crew were always in contact to make sure cyclists were being looked after. I hope my repairs lasted as well :D Tis mad seeing peoples reaction to having a bike fault but there was nothing negative

Thanks to all the cyclists who were bike aware and warned me in advance when I was unsighted about traffic.

Overall the mood was calm, enjoyable and quite fun. Not many lunitic missions across the white line helped. If only we could keep the 4 wheelers or more off the road ;)

See you next year
    THeHotBiker

Well done and thanks. Its all the volunteers that made it such a great success. Hopefully will be back next year.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement