Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ring of Kerry 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

lescol wrote: »
    Sign up here:- http://cunamhiveragh.com/ring-of-kerry-cycle-2013/ and donate your €50, no minimum donation required:D

Same story with this one, They say, they'll be delighted to take 50Euro per person.
    http://www.southwestcounselling.ie/pages/CharityCycle.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

so disappointed if what I'm reading is true. was going to do ROK this year for 1st time with 2 other family members who did it last year for first time. I started cycling for 1st time in years and years on 01 Jan with this aim in place. there's no way we can afford 300e including the costs of getting down to Kerry, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭tippgod

Thats the final straw for me. Two of us raised 380 last year but by mistake I signed up for a second card. I gave the blank card back on the day but since that I have been emailed 4 times saying they never got back the spare card. I replied each time telling them the story but never got a response. No thanks to the money we raised. Just feels to me like money grabbing scheme.

Will be doing other sportives instead and giving the ROK a miss this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

prototype of this years jersey at the cycle show today
    some changes are being made as the committee are not happy with it
    i like it though

288pi5e.jpg

ig93io.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

Ya it needs some fine tuning, that orange flame effect on the front and back has got to go, very box of radion :eek:.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

This post has been deleted.

pfft: & what would be wrong with that? Sur won't everyone be on the bandwagon anyways come September so why not join in this way ;) :pac:

Would everyone who registers receive this jersey or just those who register on the 'official' website?
    Would that be something behind the increase? Is their anyone reading on here who would be willing to put into the public domain the reasoning behind this savage increase in registration? That would be real nice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭HivemindXX

The letter that Grassey posted only gives two options both of which require you to come up with at least €100. Can someone explain how registering with a specific charity gets around this? Is it possible that the charities don't know the new rules? If you pay directly to a charity are you actually registered at all?

I do like the new jersey but I don't like the €100 minimum. I did this last year and paid €50 (which they lost track of) and found it to be a great event. I was campaigning to get a bunch of my friends to go this year but the doubling of the entry has put me off.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭poolboy

Have done last 4 ROKS gave €50 on each one and bought the jersey last year. For €100 registration they can keep it. I love the day but for regular cyclists who can't exactly ask friends and family to sponsor them for every spin they do its just to much. Good luck to them but I can see a backlash from this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

I can understand why the organisers felt the need to do this , but it is IMHO a completely retrograde step. I can only imagine that the committee perceives that the number of freeloaders needs to be tackled.

Given the amount of funds raised for charities I would argue that having some freeloaders is a price well worth paying go raise significant amounts of money for charities in the region.

I also wonder is this another attempt by organisers to keep regular sportif or club cyclists away from the Ring of Kerry. There were attempts a few years back to get clubs to begin at an ultra early time in the morning. Again misplaced in my opinion.

The Ring of Kerry cycle is a great day out. But it is not a sportif in any way. It is a charity cycle with the emphasis on charity as opposed to cycle.

I will be doing the event this year but will register thru my chosen charity as opposed to the direct route. If people that have raised regular amounts of funds in the past by doing the RoK are dissuaded from doing the event perhaps they should write to the organisers to raise the issue.

As for the jersey - that alone would act as a serious disincentive to doing the event.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭CheGuedara

+1 on all points ROK ON.

This year would be my 14th Ring of Kerry and between the new organising committees anti-club missives and statements to the Kerry based press and media of recent years and this years inflated entry to the event it is hard to feel the thousands I've raised over the years, the sums raised by those I've helped train to cycle the ROK through our club and the efforts put down to ride the event each year have been appreciated at all. At least certainly not by the new committee who clearly have a lot to learn as regards event managment and PR and participant communication.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 bal1000

Charging €100 will just add to the free loaders i think, after all they are open roads and its the charities that will lose out in that case.

It certainly doesn't seem that the committee took note of the huge effort a lot people go to just to get to Killarney for the cycle, this may usually involve travelling costs, at least one night in a b+b or a hotel, spending money and they add to this expense a minimum participation charge.
    This may have the effect of deterring people taking part but it may also increase the number of people who simply without registering take part in the cycle on the day and use local garages and shops as their foodstops. Some may then choose to donate independantly to a chosen charity and some may not.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,264 ✭✭✭ratracer

^^^^^ This is exactly what I will be doing. I have no problem giving one of the charities €50 if they want it. With two nights hotel and travel costs already in its already a costly weekend. I don't intend to use the 'official' food stops, as I couldn't be arsed with the queues.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭ugsparky

I'll consider doing this now by way of registering with one of the linked charities posted - but it will be €50 each and that's all I'll donate. I think Kerry4Sam might be wrong in thinking the €100 includes the jersey - I'm almost sure that guys I know who did the ROK last year had to buy their jerseys - again if some of the money from jersey sales are going to the charities then chances are we'll both get one - unless they're priced too high - they shouldn't be considering the numbers of people expected to participate.

kerry4sam wrote: »
    pfft: & what would be wrong with that? Sur won't everyone be on the bandwagon anyways come September so why not join in this way ;) :pac:

Would everyone who registers receive this jersey or just those who register on the 'official' website?
    Would that be something behind the increase? Is their anyone reading on here who would be willing to put into the public domain the reasoning behind this savage increase in registration? That would be real nice :)
    ugsparky wrote: »
    I'll consider doing this now by way of registering with one of the linked charities posted - but it will be €50 each and that's all I'll donate. I think Kerry4Sam might be wrong in thinking the €100 includes the jersey - I'm almost sure that guys I know who did the ROK last year had to buy their jerseys - again if some of the money from jersey sales are going to the charities then chances are we'll both get one - unless they're priced too high - they shouldn't be considering the numbers of people expected to participate.

Re-read my post there agaiin ugsparky: It was a question by me and not a statement of fact :)

For those interested Official registration is open, details about payment options all on the front page.

http://www.ringofkerrycycle.ie/register.php

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭ruffmut

I sent a few email to the charities today regarding the 100 euro. I got this back from recovery haven in Tralee. They are not setting a minimum amount to raise to register for the ring of Kerry. This was there reply to me.

Thank you very much for your query, you are correct registration on the Ring of Kerry website is €100.  If you register with Recovery Haven there is no registration fee and you  will be sent your sponsorship cards.  We do not have a minimum amount that you have to raise. We appreciate that especially in the current climate it is difficult for people to raise funds. Every euro counts so we are delighted with whatever people can raise for us.
    We are having an open evening on Wednesday the 27th of March from 5pm to 8pm in the Recovery Haven House here in Tralee which will give you the opportunity to fill out an application form alternatively we can send you out the form and you can drop it into us yourself.
    Thank you 
    Kind Regards
    Siobhain

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭Masala

Bit surprised with the tone of the official statement on their website...
    NO NUMBER - NO CYCLE
    This rule will be strictly enforced this year.

..did I miss something along the line. I dont think they can stop anyone doing the cycle - these are public roads and they have no statutory powers to stop anyone cycling the Ring that day. They can stop people getting food at food stops and bananas / water along the way - but thats it.

Had 2 x texts already tonight from mates advising they not doing it as a result of €100. I texted back to go with Option 3 and do a deal direct with Charity as per Siobhan above. Hopefully - they will consider this instead.

As ROK says above ... it would be nice to start the 2013 Campaign off with a THANK YOU instead of a jack-boot statement of intimidation.

• Administrators Posts: 53,829 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Being honest here, myself and my girlfriend planned on doing the ROK this year for the first time. I'm actually raging that they have done this, between the cost of getting from Dublin to Kerry, the cost of having to find somewhere to stay and now 200 euro in entry fees this just seems like an outrageous expense.

It's all well and good giving people sponsorship cards, but I did a sponsored cycle in September and I really don't want to be hassling people for money again, my plan was to stick a few quid in the charity donation myself. 100 quid though I think is too much.

I will be drafting an email and sending it on to the address listed on their site as I for one am very annoyed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

Ya masala your correct its a public road so they couldn't stop anyone cycling it as arranged at the moment, 100 quid would of been madness even in the good times and if that included a jersey but it doesn't and we are in hard times.

Mood is pretty negative with alot of people on ROK this year as a result , im sure they will loose out more actual money this year as opposed to any perceived lost money from last year. I was one of those who kept getting emails about not paying when I had paid:(

Will look into charity thing myself if I do it

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Well, that's me out. Shame, had a ball last year.

Plenty of other high quality sportives, ROK organizers may have shot themselves in the foot here.

If any of you are reading: bravo...

Something I don't understand:

One complaint last year was that some participants raised monies for charities outside of Kerry when the aim was for monies to be raised for local charities!

Is this decision of upping reg fee to 100euros not going to add to that instead of stemming it? Are people not just going to pay in min of 50euros to one local registered charity for ROK 2013 and then just raise funds for their own personal charity / charities again? Hence, local charities in Kerry loosing out again? :confused:

Just some musings!

• Administrators Posts: 53,829 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Basically, instead of having a guaranteed 100 euro from me and the girlfriend (50x2), they potentially will be getting 0 from me.

I suspect I am not alone. Short sighted decision IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

bloody idiots, as a kerryman and cyclist this really angers me, we had one of the best cycling events in ireland (maybe even europe) and the people involved go along and try to fcuk it up, and for what damn reason? the numbers last year where bigger than any year before.

the amount of non cyclists that started cycling because of this event is massive, it will be a real damn shame if it goes down the sh1tter

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭denbatt

Hopefully the rebel tour will take in the ring of beara again, much better route imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

shaka wrote: »
    Mood is pretty negative with alot of people on ROK this year as a result , im sure they will loose out more actual money this year as opposed to any perceived lost money from last year. I was one of those who kept getting emails about not paying when I had paid:(

Will look into charity thing myself if I do it

Pretty much the way I felt after reading the e-mail last night, really surprised that they've taken this approach, I raised over €100 last year but this year's participation is in serious doubt.

Hi Denbat I heard it was. Only thing a lot of cyclists who do ROK would struggle on the 160 rebel hills so won't ever attract the numbers . I agree with you it's a fantastic cycle..

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭denbatt

shaka wrote: »
    Hi Denbat I heard it was. Only thing a lot of cyclists who do ROK would struggle on the 160 rebel hills so won't ever attract the numbers . I agree with you it's a fantastic cycle..

Yeah only thought of that after I posted! Alot of suffering on the rebel tour last year both the 85kand 160k. So your right. I wont be forking out €100 anyway that is so much to ask these days.

• Advertisement

Great day though

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement