Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ring of Kerry 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭letape

I do the ROK cycle every year and I have no problem at all with the €100. In years when I haven't collected any money I always felt that €100 was a fair minimun donation to make.

The money is for a good cause, the event is very well run and locally supported and I find it a fabulously enjoyable day on the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

can we get back to talking about the cycle yet for which I have a question.

How come on the first few miles on road out of Killarney heading towards Killorglin there is obsolete carnage on sides of road with people fixing flat tyres! Noticed this at other events too where flats seem to occur at the beginning of a sportive for a lot of cyclists. What are they doing wrong and how can this be avoided?!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭HivemindXX

I definitely notice this as well and I don't know why it is but I have a couple of theories:-

You are seeing the most dense arrangements of cyclists at that point. If the average is one puncture per 1000km cycled and there are 9000 cyclists on the RoK then there will be around 1500 punctures in total for the whole event. Now the assumptions get a bit random... Assume 8 hours cycle time on average this means in the first 30 minutes there will be just under 100 punctures on average. If it's a mass start and you start at the back you will see most of these. In the last 30 minutes there will still be around 100 punctures on average but you won't see most of them since due to spreading out the majority the victims will either be behind you or far enough in front of you that they fix their puncture and move on before you see it.

People haven't prepared their bike carefully enough. Mostly they may not have properly inflated their tyres leading to pinch flats.

Crowding forces people to hit potholes they might otherwise avoid or at least slow down before slamming in to.

The first theory is just perception so there's nothing you can (or need to) do about it. The second one you can avoid by making sure your bike is ready for the event. The third you can mitigate by paying as much attention as you can to your road position and doing whatever you can to avoid bad road surfaces.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Agree with everything HivemindXX said. On a purely pragmatic level, you can put on a more puncture resistance tyre on for the day, e.g. 25mm Durano plus, gator skins, marathons, etc... A small bit heavier and slower rolling, but cuts down on risk of punctures on an event like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 The Pogger

smacl wrote: »
    Agree with everything HivemindXX said. On a purely pragmatic level, you can put on a more puncture resistance tyre on for the day, e.g. 25mm Durano plus, gator skins, marathons, etc... A small bit heavier and slower rolling, but cuts down on risk of punctures on an event like this.

I put gatorskin tires on my road bike about 4 months ago..best decision ever....compared with what I had on before (bontrager race) there's a very slight difference in terms of how the bike behaves but its neglible...the peace of mind you get out on the bike is worth it, why more people don't do it I don't know.

Regarding what was said previously...some of the punctures are down to bad luck...but if you look at the general trend the majority of the punctures happen to people who have neglected to maintain their bike, not a lot you can do about it really only to warn people to have their bike in working order sufficient to cycle 180km.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭snottybridge

Interesting development on the ROK facebook page,seems like the 100 euro minimum has been reduced to 60 euro,if im reading it correctly.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

€60 is a much more reasonable threshold. Fair play to them for listening to the feedback.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

Yep down to sixty, believe they got some backlash on email.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭poolboy

Interesting development on the ROK facebook page,seems like the 100 euro minimum has been reduced to 60 euro,if im reading it correctly.

Fair play for listening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭michael196

fair dues to the ring of kerry charity cycle committee for reviewing

60 is more manageable, and helps gaurantee future participation, rather than a question mark over a 100 euro event .

Fair dues for listening to the committee

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Axel Lamp

Maybe now a mod can delete the last 8 odd pages of whinging and bitching.

Pathetic

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭CheGuedara

Axel Lamp wrote: »
    Maybe now a mod can delete the last 8 odd pages of constructive, change leading criticism of poor decision making.

Winning

FYP

CheGuedara wrote: »
    FYP

Nope, pathetic bitching and whinging by people on (probably) expensive bikes about a €100 fee that could be avoided by registering with one of the nominated charities.

The nominated charities who supply the sandwiches, fruit and drinks that the cyclists consume.

Pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭CheGuedara

Nope, pathetic bitching and whinging by people on (probably) expensive bikes about a €100 fee that could be avoided by registering with one of the nominated charities.

The nominated charities who supply the sandwiches, fruit and drinks that the cyclists consume.

Pathetic.

Don't see how anyone's bike provides any insight into their current financial/employment situation, their availability of disposable income or ability to pay any set fee.

The fact of the matter is the committee made a haimes of setting the registration fee by initially setting it too high and then two stream (a fact that was very poorly communicated).

This poorly conceived decision attracted widepread criticism both on Boards, elswhere on the web and on their own web-presences and after a period of time required for the penny to drop they amended the fee. Not to 50% of the initial fee as was widely suggested (no, that would be acquiescing to the direction of the masses) but still to something widely welcomed as more affordable.

An unfortunate and regrettable ROK launch for 2013, yes. A valuable learning experience, I would hope so. Pathetic, hardly.

CheGuedara wrote: »
    Don't see how anyone's bike provides any insight into their current financial/employment situation, their availability of disposable income or ability to pay any set fee.

The fact of the matter is the committee made a haimes of setting the registration fee by initially setting it too high and then two stream (a fact that was very poorly communicated).

This poorly conceived decision attracted widepread criticism both on Boards, elswhere on the web and on their own web-presences and after a period of time required for the penny to drop they amended the fee. Not to 50% of the initial fee as was widely suggested (no, that would be acquiescing to the direction of the masses) but still to something widely welcomed as more affordable.

An unfortunate and regrettable ROK launch for 2013, yes. A valuable learning experience, I would hope so. Pathetic, hardly.

My issue is with the pathetic complaining and pathetic whinging that went on when a charity (CHARITY) cycle event set a minimum fee (which could be easily avoided - and was always, always available and has been for years) and the whinging began:

"x event in Cork only wants €40"
    "y sportif is free"
    "blah blah, blah"
    etc, etc

Not with the committee's decision about whether to charge €10, €100 or even a €1,000.

Good night, I'm off out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

Yep the "committee" f***ed up a fairly simple decision. And i hardly think the cost of anyones bike is a reflection of their financial wellbeing. A lot of these bikes were purchased on the cycle to work scheme.
    Definition of a committee. "The unwilling chosen from the unfit to do the unnecessary"

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Buzwaldo

Yep the "committee" f***ed up a fairly simple decision.
    Definition of a committee. "The unwilling chosen from the unfit to do the unnecessary"
    A bit harsh! Maybe they made an error of judgement?
    Don't know for sure, but would be willing to bet that it's entirely voluntary, requires a s**tload of work, and raises much-wanted funds for a variety of charities.

Buzwaldo wrote: »
    A bit harsh! Maybe they made an error of judgement?
    Don't know for sure, but would be willing to bet that it's entirely voluntary, requires a s**tload of work, and raises much-wanted funds for a variety of charities.

As a committee member for a south east cycling club, sometimes decisions made at committee, appear just wrong, or cannot be later justfified under scrutiny. sometimes wrong decisions come about as a result of vocal individuals promoting a notion, that is sometimes flawed or groundless. so bad decisions can come out of the committee system. what i have learned is just how influential this boards forum realy is. Successful committees operate , after working together for several years, decisions are challanged, concensus is formed, and the defence for a controversial decision is challanged.So I would not fault the ROK committe for an erroneous decision, ( it can happen with committtees) but rather applaud heir wisdom in changing the decison based upon feedback. so well done again ROK committee.

Pathetic.

Not so pathetic. If you are lucky enough to attend events organised , pretty much 48 weeks of the year now ( christmas hampers, first sportives in January, racing , spring-summer-autumn-winter sportives), leagues, and your budget permits a weekly amount ( if you are so lucky), to have an event suddenly pop its head way above the going rate, and the expected going rate, even the historical going rate, makes that event a candidate to be quickly dropped. Even if attending as a one off cycling event ( the only event you are attending / suppoting in the year) , it is outstanding as a fee. Maybe affordable as a one off , but not as part of a series of events , over the full year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

michael196 wrote: »
    Not so pathetic. If you are lucky enough to attend events organised , pretty much 48 weeks of the year now ( christmas hampers, first sportives in January, racing , spring-summer-autumn-winter sportives), leagues, and your budget permits a weekly amount ( if you are so lucky), to have an event suddenly pop its head way above the going rate, and the expected going rate, even the historical going rate, makes that event a candidate to be quickly dropped. Even if attending as a one off cycling event ( the only event you are attending / suppoting in the year) , it is outstanding as a fee. Maybe affordable as a one off , but not as part of a series of events , over the full year.

Affordable as a one off , maybe but definitely not justifiable.

I'm also a committee member of a Midwest cycling club and while I agree some decisions can come through a meeting sounding good and turn out a not so good the committee who made this initial decision made one hell of a f up - if they sought anyone's opinion on it initially I'd be very surprised . There was no consideration for people travelling to event, family's, students or unemployed never mind the average everyday person . Some genius probably divided amount raised last year by numbers cycling and hey presto a committee ðecision ...
    I'd like to have been at the meeting to vote in a bit of cop on and reduce the fee.

Hope the day doesn't suffer because of this , still a lot of bad feeling towards event at the moment.

Guy in our club who works in tourism industry had heard the 100 euro figure mentioned late last year and that they wanted to reduce numbers cycling event , if this real reason they introduced this figure they would of been better setting a cap on the numbers cycling event .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Just a big shout out to all of you in training for ROK 2013, Hope all goes well for you! :)

I met 2guys today peddling along to which I shouted "getting ready for the Ring?", & received a reply of " We're trying anyways" :D If you two are reading in here - Lads you were doing grand & you both looked to be peddling strong anyways!

Happy Peddling Everyone for ROK 2013 :)

kerry4sam wrote: »
    Just a big shout out to all of you in training for ROK 2013, Hope all goes well for you! :)

I met 2guys today peddling along to which I shouted "getting ready for the Ring?", & received a reply of " We're trying anyways" :D If you two are reading in here - Lads you were doing grand & you both looked to be peddling strong anyways!

Happy Peddling Everyone for ROK 2013 :)

what i heard in this post was: Enough of the fee talk, heads down, concentrate on the training, look forward and enjoy the day in July.....

• Registered Users Posts: 29 hans_moleman

Did 35 miles today :eek:

Took 4.5 hrs :mad: Only took up cycling recently so no biggie. My legs are like jelly though :(

Tbf there were a lot of hills. Started and finished at Kate Kearneys cottage via Black Valley/Molls Gap and through Killarney. Met a nice chap along the way who offered some encouraging advice.

Hope I'll be ok for the ROK now :confused::confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 468 ✭✭VanhireBoys

Wife away - Went to spare room and cleaned down the Duralinox again !

The NOS Shimano 600 EX inner chain ring 39T landed today ! looks the part.. Steady on my sweet wont be long "

Cant wait till its ring time !

Said to a husband of wifes friend "Im going to do The Ring this year"

He replied "Thats class Id love to do The Nurburgring" :rolleyes:

Well Done HansBlack Valley and Molls gap would be considered difficult terrain. for all cyclists. Keep up the good work .Aim to increase to 40 miles on ur next cycle, then 45, 50 , 55, aim not to increase the time taken, i.e. 4.5 hours.your time does seem long for 35 miles, but the Black Valley and molls are tough sportive / race terrain. Black Vally is particularily difficult , even the descent, and the climb to molls is a serious long drag from the black valley side. . On the ROK itself . Molls is climbed from Kenmare (?), where the climb is longer but not as killing as the ascent u did. find yourself a flat 35-50 miles to help you gauge what most of the ROK terrain will be like. Get ur distance up on flatter terrain first. try alos to get out with a group, as cycling with a group is significantly easier, to both body and soul. You will inevitably be with a group in the ROK event. As sportives go, you will find a group that matches ur pace and fitness level. Stay with a suitable group for as much f the day, and u will find that very enjoyable. Keep up the work, Keep the goal, u have enough time, get in any sportives u can at 80 K to 100 k ranges before the ROK. getting back on the bike myself a few yeasr back, I first managed 20 miles on a flat, then 25 etc, Within a few spins, ur distance ( cycling range ) soon increases. use food ( biscuits ) and water to help build ur distances (range) initially. Eventualy, u will cover large distances on small amounts of water and food.always carry cash , water, phone and some food (fig rollls, biscuits), and soon ur distances will increase. dont overdo the train, 3 times a week if possible is great. if not, concentrate on a longish spin at the weekend. No doubt u can do it.

Cheers mate appreciate the tips. To be honest I kinda jumped in at the deep end today, but didn't anticipate it being as long as it was! :o:o I'll sleep well tonight :P

Will stick to the flat surfaces in the short term. Also I've been using a hybrid bike up to now. Looks like I should be forking out on a racing bike :( Was looking at the Carrera Virtuoso which I know isn't great but I can't justify yet spending a lot on a bike. Maybe in the next year or two if I stick with it ;) Anyway presumably my times should improve if I switch to a racer and the hard work I've put in with the hybrid should pay dividends?

Are there links on here to cycling clubs I'm in Cork (City) if anyone knows any good ones. Cheers :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭merc230ce

Quick question folks - I registered with one of the charities the other day and today I got a nice handwritten note with 2 sponsorship cards back from them, but no race number or any other information. Have I missed something? Have they? Does that kinda stuff just follow automatically from the organisers or do I have to register separately with them?

Confused.com...

I see they've reduced the registration fee from 100 to 60.

But I've been charged already for the 100 :mad:

Will I get refunded :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

merc230ce wrote: »
    Quick question folks - I registered with one of the charities the other day and today I got a nice handwritten note with 2 sponsorship cards back from them, but no race number or any other information. Have I missed something? Have they? Does that kinda stuff just follow automatically from the organisers or do I have to register separately with them?

Confused.com...
    AFAIK They register for you and pass onto you the relevant documentation. When you turn up in killarney on the eve/day of the cycle give them these details and you will receive your event number.

• Advertisement

Cheers mate appreciate the tips. To be honest I kinda jumped in at the deep end today, but didn't anticipate it being as long as it was! :o:o I'll sleep well tonight :P

Will stick to the flat surfaces in the short term. Also I've been using a hybrid bike up to now. Looks like I should be forking out on a racing bike :( Was looking at the Carrera Virtuoso which I know isn't great but I can't justify yet spending a lot on a bike. Maybe in the next year or two if I stick with it ;) Anyway presumably my times should improve if I switch to a racer and the hard work I've put in with the hybrid should pay dividends?

Are there links on here to cycling clubs I'm in Cork (City) if anyone knows any good ones. Cheers :cool:

hybrid training will be tougher on you. make sure the tyre pressure is maxed up.invest in a track pump ( foot pump ) in the mean time to make sure ur tyre pressure is maxed on teh hybrid. if u switch to a road bike ( racer) the additional fitness fromhybrid training will stand to u straight away.consider doing the ROK on the htbrid. Always a good few hybrids do the ROK. type ROK 2012 into youtube for videos of the event,

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement