Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ring of Kerry 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

Coomakista is fine and bail me out is right there is a section of dead road from sneem to kenmare but other than that you will be fine. Keep fed and watered :)

Btw way just spin the legs up the gap and you will be fine , it's not bad or steep but does come at the end of a long day. As I said keep watered and fed

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭PandyAndy

shaka wrote: »
    Btw way just spin the legs up the gap and you will be fine , it's not bad or steep but does come at the end of a long day. As I said keep watered and fed

Watered with beer and fed with Tacos!

Dont do that, thatd be silly.

Sneaky pint in sneem never did anyone any harm :) forget the dead road

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

I got my sponsor card from Kerry Life Line today. Interesting thing is that the letter says that the bike tags will be posted to me in the weeks prior to the cycle which I assume means no queuing up on the Friday night in Killarney waiting to register. Nice one!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

I see they've reduced the registration fee from 100 to 60.

But I've been charged already for the 100 :mad:

Will I get refunded :rolleyes:
    Heard from a few mates that if anyone already paid the 100e fee they are e-mailing you with the option of a refund of the 40e balance or to leave the original fee stand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭CptMackey

BailMeOut wrote: »
    Neither live up to the hype. It is the Sneem to Kenmare section that's the hardest IMO. It is a soul destroying, long, boring section and seems like the sign posts with distances to Kenmare get further away the more you cycle.

Ya it's a bit like the twilight zone. No matter how fast you pedal you don't seem to be getting closer :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭2 Wheels Good

CptMackey wrote: »
    Ya it's a bit like the twilight zone. No matter how fast you pedal you don't seem to be getting closer :pac:
    I got lucky 2 years ago along that stretch. (Accidentally) got a tow from Blarney CC :) Shortened the trip no end

• Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Axel Lamp

BailMeOut wrote: »
    I got my sponsor card from Kerry Life Line today. Interesting thing is that the letter says that the bike tags will be posted to me in the weeks prior to the cycle which I assume means no queuing up on the Friday night in Killarney waiting to register. Nice one!

Correct. No Queuing at all at all

• Registered Users Posts: 29 hans_moleman

What training should I be doing for April?

I was thinking 25m Tues and Thurs.

40-50m at the weekend?

Longer evenings :D

• Advertisement

That's plenty, include a few hills and up it a little as may and june kick in. Even better if you can hook up with a few friends or a group it makes it so much easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭liam7831

Anyone entered this yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Jovetic

Hi. I've entered this year but I'm really struggling with training :(

Went out last sunday and with the rain and headwinds I gave up after half an hour and turned back.

What sort of mileage should I be doing for April with three months to go?

30m per spin?

2x30 or 40 ml spins a week for april should be ok, a lot depends on what fitness level you started training at, it's also easier to train in a group, more fun and the miles fly by. Obviously once may and june kick in you would need to up the milage and of course include a few half decent hills on your training runs.
    There's an excellent training guide/programme on the RoK site, follow it as best you can and you won't go far wrong.

http://www.ringofkerrycycle.ie/training.php

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭detones

liam7831 wrote: »
    Anyone entered this yet?

Yep plan on doing it. 180k Will be biggest distance by some margin to date. Plan is to get to level if fitness where I can comfortably do 100k non stop on my own with 1000m of hills and It will get me through on the day. Just over knee injury and last weekend managed 60k with 700m of hills (some poxy hills included) so getting there. Will aim to do sportives which gradually build in distance too. I want to have the fitness up so I enjoy the day and not be suffering for the last 90k!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

entered and accomodation booked. was in kenmare at the weekend, 220km over the course of the weekend,145km on Saturday, but out the beara peninsula, not the dingle. we did do kenmare to sneem and back on the friday night for a quick spin, didn't seem the drag everyone says, but that wasn't after 140km either. went up molls on sunday, again not as bad as healy and caha we did on Saturday. looking forward to this now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

I'm a bit slow, do i register with a charity and just raise funds for them or do i have to register online as well ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 ruskin85m

Did the ROK last year and enjoyed it. Just went to register there and saw that this year, the organisers are charging a compulsory registration fee of €60. I for one think that this is extortion. The charaties should of course be supported and any cyclist who takes part in the ROK should raise as much as they can, but I think that this mandatory fee when registering is excessive and heavy handed, and personally I really can't afford €60 debit from my account. Also, I wonder if a person is unable to do the ring will they offer a refund? I doubt it. I think this year, my best option is to find a nice sunny Saturday in the middle of the summer, and head off and do the ROK instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭LeftBlank

ruskin85m wrote: »
    Did the ROK last year and enjoyed it. Just went to register there and saw that this year, the organisers are charging a compulsory registration fee of €60. I for one think that this is extortion. The charaties should of course be supported and any cyclist who takes part in the ROK should raise as much as they can, but I think that this mandatory fee when registering is excessive and heavy handed, and personally I really can't afford €60 debit from my account. Also, I wonder if a person is unable to do the ring will they offer a refund? I doubt it. I think this year, my best option is to find a nice sunny Saturday in the middle of the summer, and head off and do the ROK instead.

Did you read any of this thread? The entry fee issue has been discussed at length. The fee was 100 euro but is now 60. Most (all?) other charity cycles in the country have mandatory registration fees.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

you can still register through the charities and raise money yourself. how much did you raise last year?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Its not compulsory to do it.
    While not exactly in the spirit of the gig, its on public roads so nothing stopping you doing it the same day, just dont eat at the official food stops.
    throw a few bob to a charity of your choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Tourman

mossym wrote: »
    entered and accomodation booked. was in kenmare at the weekend, 220km over the course of the weekend,145km on Saturday, but out the beara peninsula, not the dingle. we did do kenmare to sneem and back on the friday night for a quick spin, didn't seem the drag everyone says, but that wasn't after 140km either. went up molls on sunday, again not as bad as healy and caha we did on Saturday. looking forward to this now

Its were it comes and your looking forward to the rest. Probably not as bad for the dedicated cyclist but I dread it.

For anyone interested the 2013 Ring of Kerry cycling jersey is now on sale. This year they've added a jacket, Gilet and a mini jersey to the range.
    All the info you need is here.

http://www.ringofkerrycycle.ie/shop/shop/

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭detones

For anyone interested the 2013 Ring of Kerry cycling jersey is now on sale. This year they've added a jacket and a Gilet and a mini jersey to the range.
    All the info you need is here.

http://www.ringofkerrycycle.ie/shop/shop/

Thanks for that. Not a bad looking jersey. Think I'll buy one and that will force me in to doing and completing it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭denismac

Apologies if this has been mentioned already but there's 18 pages of comments on this thread already so I might have missed it. I am signed up for the cycle and I want to book accomodation now. What I need to know is: as I am already registered through a charity do I need to check in somewhere on the morning of the cycle or just head off from where I am staying?
    Also, what is the starting point of the cycle? I'd like to get somewhere as close as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭dogsears

denismac wrote: »
    Apologies if this has been mentioned already but there's 18 pages of comments on this thread already so I might have missed it. I am signed up for the cycle and I want to book accomodation now. What I need to know is: as I am already registered through a charity do I need to check in somewhere on the morning of the cycle or just head off from where I am staying?
    Also, what is the starting point of the cycle? I'd like to get somewhere as close as possible.

I think you may still need to get your participant number for attaching to the bike on the morning or previous evening - suggest consult the charity as its not 100% clear on the website.

As to where it starts in the morning, follow all the people on bikes! Its down by the racetrack. Ross Road.

denismac wrote: »

The charity I registered with said they will be posting the bike tags to me a few weeks before the event which I assume means that I do not need to register again in Killarney.

Most people start in Killarney but you can start and end anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Soarer

Would it be a good idea to start from Kenmare and get some of the hilly stuff out of the way at the start?

Or, if you'e coming from Cork, could you arrive down in the morning and head home that evening?

Soarer wrote: »
    Would it be a good idea to start from Kenmare and get some of the hilly stuff out of the way at the start?

Or, if you'e coming from Cork, could you arrive down in the morning and head home that evening?

Three down sides not to to start/end in Kenmare.

1. you are not with as many riders for whole day. That's the fun of the ROK. When you start from Killarney you are with hundreds of cyclists for the entire day. For sections as far as you can see in front and behind you is bikes.
    2. starting in Kenmare means you finish with the Sneen to Kenmare road which is the most boring, difficult and longest section of the ring (IMO). I cannot imagine doing that after 7/8 hours on a bike.
    3. Molls gap is not as bad as everyone makes out. Free-wheeling down the other side knowing the end in sight is a tremendous feeling.

We come up Friday night and drive home on Sat evening (to Cork) but no reason you could not drive up and down same day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Soarer

Nice one BMO.

What's the start time? Around 8?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement