Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nike Plus And iPhone 4S

• 09-10-2012 10:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,061 ✭✭✭

I was given a 4S yesterday and I'm in the middle of setting up Nike Plus. I have a few questions:

I turned Nike plus on in settings and that in turn added a Nike app to my home screen. Do I need to buy a sensor or do I just need to calibrate the one under settings? I read online that there's an app to download too so I found the Nike running app in the app store and got that as well. I'm a bit confused. I've now got two Nike apps on my home screen. Which do I use? One is a 'Nike+iPod app and the other is a Nike Running app. I've setup an account on the Nike website as well.

Can someone walk me through a quick setup and go process? Do I need two apps?

Cheers in advance and sorry about the noob question. I look absolutely mad walking around my kitchen trying to calibrate the sensor in the iPhone. Think I need to walk further for it to activate.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,755 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I have just the Nike running app and that logs my runs perfect.

No add ons or anything just the app and it seems spot on distance wise compared to other apps on other platforms including android.

I done the Samsung night run recently, 10k and my app had 9.91km at the end and my brothers S2 had 13 odd and my mates htc desire had 12 odd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,061 ✭✭✭shuffles03

Cool so the running app I just got is all I need and an account on Nike + to upload to after.

What's the point of the Nike+iPod app that appeared when I turned on Nike+ in settings?

shuffles03 wrote: »
    Cool so the running app I just got is all I need and an account on Nike + to upload to after.

yep, and you can link to your FB account etc
    What's the point of the Nike+iPod app that appeared when I turned on Nike+ in settings?

Im not sure tbh, maybe its a separate app that talks to the armband or ankle strap with the GPS as the old iPods didnt have GPS built in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,531 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

kceire wrote: »
    I have just the Nike running app and that logs my runs perfect.

No add ons or anything just the app and it seems spot on distance wise compared to other apps on other platforms including android.

I done the Samsung night run recently, 10k and my app had 9.91km at the end and my brothers S2 had 13 odd and my mates htc desire had 12 odd.

Funny, as I did the same run that night (still remember that weather!) and my app said it was 11k.
    Run was definitely measured at 10k.

I like the app, but it is erratic with the measurements sometimes and I am planning to buy a GPS watch eventually as it's more accurate and less battery issues!

murpho999 wrote: »
    Funny, as I did the same run that night (still remember that weather!) and my app said it was 11k.
    Run was definitely measured at 10k.

I like the app, but it is erratic with the measurements sometimes and I am planning to buy a GPS watch eventually as it's more accurate and less battery issues!

If i got more serious into the running, i'd deffo invest in something proper alright. How did you get on that night?
    It was wet and miserable wasnt it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,448 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Guys,
    Aside from the accuracy (or lack of) of the Nike app, do you not find the iPhone a bit on the heavy / bulky side for running with? Do you have a decent arm strap for the phone? I've never come across one that looks comfortable!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,531 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

kceire wrote: »
    If i got more serious into the running, i'd deffo invest in something proper alright. How did you get on that night?
    It was wet and miserable wasnt it :)

I got on grand once I got going but I was freezing before and after. It was my first 10k as I only took up running in January and got round in under the hour.
    JoeA3 wrote: »
    Guys,
    Aside from the accuracy (or lack of) of the Nike app, do you not find the iPhone a bit on the heavy / bulky side for running with? Do you have a decent arm strap for the phone? I've never come across one that looks comfortable!

I find it ok and just carry it in the pocket of my shorts.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭kopfan77

I was given a 4S yesterday and I'm in the middle of setting up Nike Plus. I have a few questions:

I turned Nike plus on in settings and that in turn added a Nike app to my home screen. Do I need to buy a sensor or do I just need to calibrate the one under settings? I read online that there's an app to download too so I found the Nike running app in the app store and got that as well. I'm a bit confused. I've now got two Nike apps on my home screen. Which do I use? One is a 'Nike+iPod app and the other is a Nike Running app. I've setup an account on the Nike website as well.

Can someone walk me through a quick setup and go process? Do I need two apps?

Cheers in advance and sorry about the noob question. I look absolutely mad walking around my kitchen trying to calibrate the sensor in the iPhone. Think I need to walk further for it to activate.

I have a 4S also....the Nike+iPod seems to be an App thats built into the software. I have never used it as I believe it requires a sensor that goes into/onto your runner.
    I downloaded the Nike Running App and it works brilliantly for me. Works off your data and seems pretty accurate with the maps and distances etc. Tracks all your runs and totals them up and also allows you to share on twitter/facebook etc. I have an arm band that I use (got off ebay for around a fiver and works well for me also)

murpho999 wrote: »
    I got on grand once I got going but I was freezing before and after. It was my first 10k as I only took up running in January and got round in under the hour.

I find it ok and just carry it in the pocket of my shorts.

Same here, got into it after xmas to help with the fitness for football, that was my first 10k too, and so far my only :( Done it in 51 mins also.

I find the winter nights easier for running tbh

Plus i also just keep the phone in my pocket but im buying the arm strap in Aldi tomorrow (Only €2.99)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,452 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

The Nike+ can be a bit generous with distance but I'm prepared to overlook it for their site. It's generations ahead of garmin or anyone else.
    Runkeeper is pretty good as well but the Nike site is fantastic.

On the Nike+ app..this is for treadmills etc where you wouldn;'t have a gps signal :rolleyes: and you use it in conjunction with the foot sensor sensor.

• Advertisement

I'm having a problem calibrating the nike sensor. It tells me to walk around to calibrate it but nothing's happening. Any ideas?

I've just Googled it and there are threads and threads about people experiencing the same problem. They all have the 4S and the Nike GPS app and when they walk around to calibrate the sensor, nothing happens. Are you sure I don't need to buy the sensor for the shoe as well?

I'm having a problem calibrating the nike sensor. It tells me to walk around to calibrate it but nothing's happening. Any ideas?

Where do you have the sensor located...in your runner, on your runner??

I don't have one. Does the 4S not have it built in? Damn.

I don't have one. Does the 4S not have it built in? Damn.

If its the Nike+iPod app you have you need a sensor which you insert into or attach to your runner. You can download the Nike Running App from the app store (costs a euro or two, but well worth it in my opinion) This uses GPS (and your data) to track your run and does not need a sensor

Ok cool. I have the running app (it was a free app). So all I do is hit 'Run' and away I go and when I'm finished ill have the option to upload it to my Nike+ account? Perfect.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

Super app
    No complaints so far

Advertisement