Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Terrible Broadband Download speed- Athlone

Options
  • 09-10-2012 11:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭

I am an Eircom customer since Adam was a young lad.

My 7Mb Broadband link is appallingly slow. At 05:00, I can get almost the 7Mb speed, so usual considerations of "too far from exchange" don't apply. From afternoon until late at night, speeds are dropping to average 0.7-1.7 with recent lows down at 0.41. Upload speeds are fairly consistently between .28 and .32 Mb/s which is more or less in line with contract.

I have opened/ logged a fault through Eircom.ie (Case Id: 6250822). As the Eircom representatives on this forum appear to be very helpful and responsive, I'm posting this in the hope that one of them will ensure that my case doesn't fall between 2 stools. As a matter of interest for said reps, when a case is logged on the site, none of the details submitted on the form is sent back in the confirmation e-mail. Accordingly, the person logging the call has to do a screen dump (if s/he remembers) to keep a record. Surely, this can be resolved quickly/easily??

Thanks in advance

Tom

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭areyawell

Hi Tom

Same thing was happening me. Terrible speeds from 5pm to 2am. Its all congestion at the exchange. After about two years of complaining they finally updated the exchange and now have constant 8mb broadband and pings of 30ms.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Here's a cut from my Speedtest just now. :-(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭eircom: Linda

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    I am an Eircom customer since Adam was a young lad.

My 7Mb Broadband link is appallingly slow. At 05:00, I can get almost the 7Mb speed, so usual considerations of "too far from exchange" don't apply. From afternoon until late at night, speeds are dropping to average 0.7-1.7 with recent lows down at 0.41. Upload speeds are fairly consistently between .28 and .32 Mb/s which is more or less in line with contract.

I have opened/ logged a fault through Eircom.ie (Case Id: 6250822). As the Eircom representatives on this forum appear to be very helpful and responsive, I'm posting this in the hope that one of them will ensure that my case doesn't fall between 2 stools. As a matter of interest for said reps, when a case is logged on the site, none of the details submitted on the form is sent back in the confirmation e-mail. Accordingly, the person logging the call has to do a screen dump (if s/he remembers) to keep a record. Surely, this can be resolved quickly/easily??

Thanks in advance

Tom

Hi Tom

Can you PM me your telephone/account number and I will look into this for you?

Thanks
    Linda

Hi Tom

Can you PM me your telephone/account number and I will look into this for you?

Thanks
    Linda

Hi Linda

P.M. Sent

Thanks

Tom

Download speed averaging round 512k this evening. Dreadful.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2 Sam hamwich 2

Get over it

Get over it

Very helpful response!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    Download speed averaging round 512k this evening. Dreadful.

Hi TomOnBoard

I have taken test on line, which appears to have an other issue. I have asked that tech test this and advise. The tech should have any issue identified and fixed withion 2 / 4 days. As this is a repeat issue I have asked that this be pushed for you.
    Tony

Hi TomOnBoard

I have taken test on line, which appears to have an other issue. I have asked that tech test this and advise. The tech should have any issue identified and fixed withion 2 / 4 days. As this is a repeat issue I have asked that this be pushed for you.
    Tony

Firstly thanks to Tony and Linda on this forum for their help.

This has progressed since. It now clear, and accepted by Eircom, that my problems arises from contention (feck Netflix!) with other users on the same exchange. And there are no NGB plans for this exchange. Latest Speedtest shows .86/.3 on a so-called 7Mb line.

So what's my alternative?

Advertisement