Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Panna"

Options
  • 09-10-2012 11:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭

I was talking to a Cork based friend tonight and just happened to mention "Panna", but she had no earthly idea what I was talking about and even when it was explained, was still clueless. She was raised on Model Farm road until she was about 12 (in the 90s) and then moved to the Ovens area. I've lived in Cork since about 2004. How can this be? Is Panna northside slang or something? How does a Cork person not know Panna?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭girl2

corblimey wrote: »
    I was talking to a Cork based friend tonight and just happened to mention "Panna", but she had no earthly idea what I was talking about and even when it was explained, was still clueless. She was raised on Model Farm road until she was about 12 (in the 90s) and then moved to the Ovens area. I've lived in Cork since about 2004. How can this be? Is Panna northside slang or something? How does a Cork person not know Panna?

What is panna?

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I thought Panna was well known slang?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

I thought it was well known too. I'm from the south side and I know loads of people who say it!

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭flintash

well if somebody explains what the heck is that, cause two corkmen cant answer me this . though, it could be my pronunsation :D

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭stacexD

Patrick street :D
    Loads of people don't have a clue what I'm talking about when I say panna too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Panna - Patrick St.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

The OH is from Youghal, I'm going to ask if he knows this :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

corblimey wrote: »

Do you mean Pana?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Just shows you how much the City has really changed.

I'm sorry folks, and on my watch too, it seems we've killed off our City.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

I've heard people calling it pana but it sounds awful!

why people can't just say patricks street....

its not that hard to pronounce! :eek:

Anyway i find when talking to true corkonions about streets in town its nearly always the same Conversation

me - "ok i'll meet you on *insert street name* (say winthrop street)
    them - "where's that again?"
    me- "between patrick street and oliver plunkett street"
    them - Blank stare
    me - "the one with Mc donalds on it"
    them - "the blue Mcdonalds or the other one"
    me - "the other one, it also has Hallmark"
    them - *sudden realisation* "oh there... its the one around the corner from Brown thomas?"
    me - "yes" *dies a little inside*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

It's an old-fashioned name for it though. I only know it because I have family that grew up in Cork. No-one my age has even used it except as a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

evilivor wrote: »
    Do you mean Pana?

This.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Jon_459

Does no-one remember "doin' Pana" on a Saturday afternoon??????

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭harry21

From Cork all my like, never heard that in my life!!!!

Must have been the day I was sick in 3rd Class that they covered it. Damn, I knew it would come back to haunt me:p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

hoodwinked wrote: »
    I've heard people calling it pana but it sounds awful!

why people can't just say patricks street....

its not that hard to pronounce! :eek:

Anyway i find when talking to true corkonions about streets in town its nearly always the same Conversation

them - Blank stare
    them - *sudden realisation* "oh there... its the one around the corner from Brown thomas?"

Yera go on away out of that! Where's you Cork pride gone boy?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,285 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

To be honest, I've only really heard people calling it pana in the last 5 years or so - before that it was just always Patricks Street to me - still is! And I'm born and bred in the northside of Cork City biy!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

I'm from Sligo but I have heard of "Pana". Jackie Hurley was interviewing some City player on MNS a few years back and she mentioned it. Didnt know what it meant til now. Thanks Cork boards. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

leahyl wrote: »
    To be honest, I've only really heard people calling it pana in the last 5 years or so - before that it was just always Patricks Street to me - still is! And I'm born and bred in the northside of Cork City biy!:D

Same here. Being living here all my life and only heard it being called 'Pana' in the last few years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

hoodwinked wrote: »

them - Blank stare
    ^^
    Blow-ins with their Brown Thomas instead of Cashes.
    Same here. Being living here all my life and only heard it being called 'Pana' in the last few years.
    ^^
    How can this be? Must be a blow-in of some kind... Parents not from Cork maybe? Or not from the city?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

pwurple wrote: »
    ^^

^^

i knew i got that wrong but didn't want to edit it! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭cookie75

Is that the Cashes straight across from Cudmores !

^^
    How can this be? Must be a blow-in of some kind... Parents not from Cork maybe? Or not from the city?

LOL. Father from the Marsh, mother from Douglas. I first heard of the term 'Pana' on PROC, and its use seems to have taken off as 'ironic cool' in the years since.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Among my friends we only refer to it as Pana ironically. It's usually just Patricks street. Or name a store.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

LOL. Father from the Marsh, mother from Douglas. I first heard of the term 'Pana' on PROC, and its use seems to have taken off as 'ironic cool' in the years since.

The is no "ironic cool" about it. It is a well known Cork colloqualism. Its been Pana to me for as long as I can remember. Likewise Barracka.

gimmick wrote: »
    The is no "ironic cool" about it. It is a well known Cork colloqualism. Its been Pana to me for as long as I can remember. Likewise Barracka.

And I never heard of Barrack St referred to as "Barracka" either and I'm from just around the corner! :rolleyes:

You must have lived a very sheltered existense then. Or posh, very posh :)

gimmick wrote: »
    You must have lived a very sheltered existense then. Or posh, very posh :)

I think that being from around the corner from "Barracka" would automatically exclude me from being posh!

Posh is a frame of mind.

I'm from Togher and I heard of Pana, Barracka, the Shakey Bridge etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,285 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

^^

^^

My dad's from the Northside of Cork City and has never once referred to it as Pana! We're no blow ins!:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Jon_459

leahyl wrote: »
    My dad's from the Northside of Cork City and has never once referred to it as Pana! We're no blow ins!:pac:

Too Posh then!

Advertisement