Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Panna"

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

gimmick wrote: »
    Posh is a frame of mind.

I'm from Togher and I heard of Pana, Barracka, the Shakey Bridge etc.

Togher is that not Upper Glasheen? No!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

More Outer Wilton than Upper Glasheen. It would be more Lower Glasheen Road if anything Glasheen related.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

More Outer Wilton than Upper Glasheen. It would be more Lower Glasheen Road if anything Glasheen related.

"Upper" sounds closer to Montenotte than "Lower"

A chick I know once put her address as "outer Montenotte" when referring to Mayfield. I shít you not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

A chick I know once put her address as "outer Montenotte" when referring to Mayfield. I shít you not.

Not at all. At one time there was considerable confusion over Mayfield and Montenotte.

As a school leaver in the 70's my CVs carried my married sister's address in Montenotte rather than my Corporation flat in [what became Árd Bhaile] Mayfield.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,285 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Are you serious??!!! Lol, my mum is a bit like that - "when you're applying for a job you should put down Tivoli/Silversprings as your address":rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

Cape Clear wrote: »
    Togher is that not Upper Glasheen? No!

Lmao, we got a wedding invitation there this year From someone who lives in togher and togher was not on the return address, doughcloyne was used instead.

for other reasons we were showing loads of people this particular invitation and they all spotted it and thought it was hilarious, including one girl who was like "i actually live in that estate, its togher, nowhere else"

Doughcloyne is not even an area. It is an area made up by people from the Wilton side of Togher to try and make it look like they are not from Togher.

I am guessing the person is from Palmbury or Sandown Crest?

Doughcloyne is not even an area. It is an area made up by people from the Wilton side of Togher to try and make it look like they are not from Togher.

lmao double time now! you are good!

and yeah thats what the girl who we showed it to who also lives there said too! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

The is no "ironic cool" about it. It is a well known Cork colloqualism. Its been Pana to me for as long as I can remember. Likewise Barracka.
    And I never heard of Barrack St referred to as "Barracka" either and I'm from just around the corner! :rolleyes:

My grandmother was from Bandon Road and said Barraka, Buttera and Pana.
    My Dad is from Turner's Cross and my mother is from Pouladuff - they do likewise.
    I'm from the burbs of Ballinlough as also do likewise.

My great-uncle who is now 93, lived most of his life outside Ireland and also does this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭wispyman

For the Finnish speakers - of which there won't be too many on Boards - this thread will raise a few laughs. The verb "panna" means "to put" but also "to f*ck" as in "putting it in there" :D

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    My grandmother was from Bandon Road and said Barraka, Buttera and Pana.
    My Dad is from Turner's Cross and my mother is from Pouladuff - they do likewise.
    I'm from the burbs of Ballinlough as also do likewise.

My great-uncle who is now 93, lived most of his life outside Ireland and also does this.

Barraka i have never heard of, Barrack street challenge on the other hand i have heard of! :pac:

My family come from ballinlough, city center (john street) decades ago, to douglas from the past 50 years,

but yeah we also call Cork city 'town', As in "i'm going to town" would never say "im heading into the city"

• Registered Users Posts: 39,973 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

As having lived all my life in cork. I'm aware of pana and barraka, but I was caught out by a tourist asking me, "where is st Patrick's street?" I had to think for a second and then coped on what they were on about.

And also cork city is known as "town" never the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

Put them in a spot, ask them what parish is it? Also where is the nearest Garda station, that will have them saying that awfull word 'Togher'.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

How the f can be from Cork and not know what Pana is.

Are there lizard people in Cork , being caught out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

How the f can be from Cork and not know what Pana is.

+1

not from Cork but my parents are even though their own parents would only have been blow ins. I grew up knowing Pana.

Advertisement