Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suitability test

Options
  • 10-10-2012 12:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭

Hi people

So long story short, Doing interior architecture in cit at the minute, kinda hating it due to doing pretty much the same stuff for three years previous and i was caught between this and architecture, so I'm looking at that for next year, but this suitability test thing is amusing me because it doesn't actually say or give examples of what is in it? would anyone be able to help out?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭overshoot

its really not much more than this (from what i remember)
    -Blanco- wrote: »
    Off the top of my head:

Matrices, basically a series of pictures which represent a pattern of some sort in which you're required to pick the next in sequence out of a list of possible answers. (There are sample tests available online)

Personal information such as why you want to get into the course.

Drawing/design/creativity, in which you must draw a series of mini pictures in panels which already have lines/dots etc drawn in(incorporating them in whatever way you please) and then naming said pictures.

And my least favorite, the personal essay,in which you're given a blank sheet with the title "myself" and told to write for a certain amount of time about, you guessed it, yourself.

Hope that helps in some way.

also found this for the next trial so gonna post it here
    blinkers wrote: »
    Leaving Certificate with passes in six subjects, at least two of which must be Grade C3 or higher on higher level papers, or equivalent qualifacations. The six subjects must include Mathematics and English or Irish.

600 points allocated to Leaving Cert

Candidate
    1. Candidate should have a lively interest in the environment.
    2. Candidate should be a good communicator and have lack of fear of criticism.

Suitability Testing
    Applicants will be required to undertake a suitability test and if the appropriate standard is achieved, they will be interviewed as part of the selection process. The suitability test is usually held at Eastertime, and the interviews in mid-May. The test includes assessment in creativity,spatial and verbal reasoning and has been designed to be architecture specific. Past papers are not available for distribution.

100 points allocated to Suitability Test

Interview
    Those achieving the appropriate standard at suitability test will be invited to interview. Like the Leaving Certificate entry points the standard may vary from year to year. Applicants called to interview are graded independently by staff members.

Types of Interview Questions
    1. When candidate first developed an interest in architecture?
    2. Does candidate know what an architect does, in very general terms, and why does candidate feel they have an aptitude for architecture?
    3. Is candidate reading any books on architecture?
    4. Can candidate say something about any architect?
    5. Has candidate an interest in any particular building?
    6. Can candidate give description of a building which is of particular interest to themself?

Portfolio
    While a portfolio is not mandatory for the interview, it should be noted that most interviewees have a portfolio with them when being interviewed. The Portfolio may contain:-

1. Photgraphs of buildings, people and place.
    2. Imaginative drawings and paintings of buildings, people and places.
    3. Sense of composition.
    4. Quality of presentation.
    5. Quality of drawings, use of pencil or pen or other media.

100 points allocated to Interview

cool.pngok that took me ten minutes so you better be grateful!tongue.png

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055184866
    the above is a link to more info on the suitability tests!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

yeah seen that as well, seems handy enough alright

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Yakuza42

Hi toastedpickles,

When I did the test three years ago it was the same as overshoot described apart from the matrices recognition test had been replaced by a second essay. So for me it was the picture boxes and two (very short) essays.

Advertisement