Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Madonna in 1980's Ireland

Options
  • 10-10-2012 12:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭

I know the Irish were into very country music but how popular was Madonna for the 1980's early 90's Ireland?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Sound of Silence

I don't believe that Country Music could ever have been considered to be popular in the 80's or 90's. On the whole musical trends in Ireland seem to closely mirror those found in the UK.

In regards to Madonna, I was able to deduce from a quick search through Google that she had at least six number ones in Ireland during the 80's. I didn't bother checking the 90's, but I imagine it would be similarly high number.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭wow sierra

God I really feel old - young people asking if we were all listening to country music and unaware of Madonna etc in the 80's:rolleyes:

Question answered above but also - we had Leslie Dowdall and In Tua Nua

We didn't even have to look abroad for cool music.......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V99B5Hdp-5o

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭upncmnhistori

Over in the west country music seemed to popular from the 50's to maybe the late 70's I could be very wrong at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭wow sierra

Over in the west country music seemed to popular from the 50's to maybe the late 70's I could be very wrong at the same time.

Yeah live country bands were very popular with certain people for dancing - still have a following - likes of Mike Denvir etc

But at the same time there was a great rock scene going on. Look at people like Rory Gallagher or Horslips from the early 70's. Even The Boomtown Rats, U2, The Undertones date back to the mid 70's. If you want a snapshot of the scene in Ireland in the 80's have a look at Selfaid from 1986 on Youtube - good broad representation of the bands at the time

Sorry - I know I am getting carried away - you only asked about Madonna. :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭upncmnhistori

I agree wow sierra. Funny enough I am not one to listen todays world as my collection is Blondie, Boometown rats, The Smiths, Fleetwood mac, Stevie nicks, talking heads, joan jett and the blackhearts, Patti Smith. I suppose that would be Irelands 1977-1980somthing era. Correct me if I am wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Prettyblack

Whatever was in the charts in the UK was in the charts here... with a few exceptions like Something Happens and the Four of Us and all those loser Irish bands of the late 80s.

But yeah, whether it was chart hits of the day, or bands like the Mondays and the Roses, or Nivana etc.

• Site Banned Posts: 224 ✭✭SubBusted

Some girl took 'Madonna' as her confirmation name and it was big news in the papers.

Advertisement