Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

High Ping on Wireless , but not on wired ....

• 10-10-2012 1:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭

Right I know this sounds like a simple wi-fi problem , but I am good with computers etc and a CS student and I know about networking but this is my first cable connection and don't really want to ring UPC .

So we moved into cork city and have the 150mbit connection with the cisco (3925??) I think. On my PC I get a very low ping and ~~ 157mbit down and 11 up . But me and the missus are playing an online game , the router is ~4 feet from us and I am wired on a desktop and she is wireless ( with full bars ) No ethernet cable is long enough but I will buy one maybe to try but I want to see if I can fix it first. My ping in general is ~40ms in game but sometimes hers is like 400 when I'm perfectly ok. We have the standard UPC setup but a changed wifi password and login/password for the router. I did a wifi scan and there is basically 2 routers near us on channel 8 and we are on channel 4 so I don't think it is that issue.

Also her pc just got a full virus scan and I reinstalled a fresh copy of windows and she has the bare bare minimum on her PC. Nothing hogging the network.

Also If I got a better router , I had the DSL version of the netgear n300 dual band router and that seemed good so would maybe a better router deal with it better?? I dunno

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

There is overlap between channels 4 and 8 plus all sorts of other 'wireless' devices can cause RF interference. Wireless is convenient for browsing and light data transfer nothing else. If you live in a built up area it can be particularly bad as just about everyone has at least one wireless device.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

Channels 1, 6, and 11 are the only channels without overlap. Consider using one of them (try 11).

The EPC3925 is a pile of crap but a mere 4' distance should give your missus decent pings and speeds over Wireless-N (she probably won't get near top speed, but maybe ~60-100Mb/s is possible - I only have the 60Mb pack so I can't put this to the test!). Wireless isn't the most reliable but it's not just for browsing and light data transfer as previously mentioned. I'm the only wired client in my house using a WNDR3700 and both my housemates never have issues connecting, one of whom is connecting on a different floor and plays the games like League of Legends all the time with a decent and consistent latency. He is also able to speed test at the full 60Mb/s, we made sure of that.

If done right under the right conditions (the router being only 4' away does qualify as being a right condition), wireless can produce a nearly-as-good-as-wired experience, where the naked eye wouldn't even notice.

Advertisement