Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gun ownership

• 10-10-2012 1:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭

With all the shootings in Dublin and guns being left behind in burnt out cars there appears to be a lot of handguns available to any criminal in Dublin.

After speaking to a couple of lads I know from a dodgier than usual area of north Dublin the going rate for a regular handgun is about e500 seemingly and wouldnt take more than a day or two to get your hands on.

The days of converting replica guns or sawing off stolen farmers shot guns appear to be over, the handguns are easily available which is a major cause of the increased violence.

I recall recently reading about gardai seizing a large shipment of cocaine and the recovered a small number of handguns which were thrown into the drug deal as a sweetner.

The dealers can now match the ira for members and weapons in the republic and seemingly are telling them to p1ss off (according to the tabloids anyway). There has been no public retailation for alan ryan so the tabloids may be on to something.

The army bomb disposal unit dealt with over 100 viable explosive devices last year.

It looks like Dublin is about to enter an unprecedented era of underworld violence.

The circulation of the Sunday World will increase massively.

Basically how will this affect the average man on the street and how bad do you think things could get over the next year or two? Can the gardai do anything when most of the criminals have easy access to guns? I dont expect an unarmed guard to chase someone they believe to be armed.

Just to be clear, often times the ones pulling the trigger are addicts who are being pressurised through violence which has been reported in the media as being a tatic of the rira so its not the animals taking eachother out, it could be a regular person who got hooked on heroin and owes money they cant pay.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Just to be clear, often times the ones pulling the trigger are addicts who are being pressurised through violence which has been reported in the media as being a tatic of the rira so its not the animals taking eachother out, it could be a regular person who got hooked on heroin and owes money they cant pay.
    Junkies pulling guns? I don't believe that. In general heroin addicts try to avoid violent confrontation in supporting their habit. Bag snatching is about the worst most get upto.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Just in.

Sixteen-year-old youth is shot in Crumlin :mad:

Good news,

he's ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

Ill buy a gun off them when the next shipment of cocaine comes in, then tell the local guard to give me a shout if any trouble kicks off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Its easier and cheaper for a criminal to get a handgun than it is for a everyday person who has to jump through hoops to get a .22 pistol limited to 5 shots for target shooting.

garv123 wrote: »
    Its easier and cheaper for a criminal to get a handgun than it is for a everyday person who has to jump through hoops to get a .22 pistol limited to 5 shots for target shooting.

Is it still possible to get a pistol legally that isnt a pellet gun?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Mickey H

eth0 wrote: »

I think it is possible. Not 100% sure though.

Mickey H wrote: »
    I think it is possible. Not 100% sure though.

Might try it so. Wouldnt mind a bit of target shootin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

Yes its possible, but not as simple as walking into a gunshop and walking out with one.

The whole system is monitored by the Gardai.

One must demonstrate a legitimate purpose to own one, such as membership of a range. self defence is not a legitimate purpose.

The whole licensing procedure is quite thorough, and as such prevents undesireable characters from licencing a legally held firearm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Mickey H

Jonty wrote: »
    Yes its possible, but not as simple as walking into a gunshop and walking out with one.

One must demonstrate a legitimate purpose to own one, such as membership of a range. self defence is not a legitimate purpose.

The whole licensing procedure is quite thorough, and as such prevents undesireable characters from licencing a legally held firearm

Thank you Jonty for confirming this. I'd be thinking that it would be fairly monitored and controlled by the Gardai for the obvious reasons.

Yeah but it has to be no larger than a .22 rimfire and the mag must be modified to hold no more than 5 rounds and you must be a member of an authorised range where the pistol cannot be used outside of.

If you had a centrefire before 2008 you could still keep that gun licensed but no one today can apply for a centrefire pistol licence.

• Advertisement

I knew that much but would the process be much harder than getting a shotgun or a .22 rifle?

I knew that much but would the process be much harder than getting a shotgun or a .22 rifle?

No different as being a member of a target shooting pistol club is valid reason for owning one. If you are suitable for a shotgun/.22 they shouldn't refuse you a pistol if you chose one from their little list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

Anything is available if you know the right people, sure if you tried hard I am sure you would get your hands on an AK47 no problem. Mind you in saying that I don't feel the need to arm myself with an AK47 just yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

It's worth pointing out that there appears to be a gulf between the thread title (which to my mind - and this is somewhat substantiated by the theme of discussion following on from it - implies the subject will be legal firearms ownership) and its substance, which is the prevalence of illegal firearms in criminal possession, which is undoubtedly on the rise. It's just very important not to confuse the two or to assume any link exists.

It's worth pointing out that there appears to be a gulf between the thread title (which to my mind - and this is somewhat substantiated by the theme of discussion following on from it - implies the subject will be legal firearms ownership) and its substance, which is the prevalence of illegal firearms in criminal possession, which is undoubtedly on the rise. It's just very important not to confuse the two or to assume any link exists.

Shur didnt the ban on centrefire pistols not decrease all that gun crime that was happening with all them legally owned pistols ? :rolleyes:

Has there ever being a case where a legally owned Handgun was used in gun crime in Ireland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 764 ✭✭✭hedzball

Shur didnt the ban on centrefire pistols not decrease all that gun crime that was happening with all them legally owned pistols ? :rolleyes:

Has there ever being a case where a legally owned Handgun was used in gun crime in Ireland?

yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭General General

Ray guns for the win. Nothing like vaporizing a wee bollix that acts the big man. Leaves not a trace. Well, a little pile of ashes.

hedzball wrote: »
    yes.

when?

hedzball wrote: »
    yes.

Do elaborate with some links to the cases..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

• Advertisement

Just to point out that legally held handguns that are stolen by criminal elements, are no longer legally held firearms.

sorry misread.

tbh its alot of hassle to get a handgun.

And for what its worth I find its alot to do with location.. There is no range within 2 hours of me so that just writes it off..

I much prefer walking out the back door with the 12ga. Compare that to the idea of getting a weedy .22 with a 5shot mag and all the range crap...

If someone told me I was only allowed shoot my rifle in one place.. It just wouldn't do it for me.

For what its worth I have an app in now for my 4th firearm.

I don't like the "sure if you know people you can get anything" attitude..

its still no excuse for the shiote tarnishing legal firearm holders get.. This country is a grieving shiote for anyone with a firearm without scumbags and ill informed folk fkn it up for us..

'hdz

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Gitb1

I am in no way involved in any sort of crime but from talking to a few people around my area I could walk into my local off license with about 300 euro and have a handgun by that evening.

Gitb1 wrote: »
    I am in no way involved in any sort of crime but from talking to a few people around my area I could walk into my local off license with about 300 euro and have a handgun by that evening.

Obviously not a legally held licenced firearm :D

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Gitb1

Oh of course not! I find it sickening how easily available they seem to be these days though, frightening too considering the vast majority of AGS only have a bloody baton and a set of handcuffs

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

In general, you'll find it's easier for criminals to do a lot of things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Even pellet guns have regulations though. There's info about it in the air soft forum

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭OnTheCounter

Just to point out that legally held handguns that are stolen by criminal elements, are no longer legally held firearms.
    the issue is how the criminals are getting the guns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Then you should have put more effort into the thread title, I wouldnt consider scumbags with guns 'gun owners'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭akura

I wish I had a Gun!:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭girl2

akura wrote: »
    I wish I had a Gun!:mad:

Why?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Can't believe how easy it is for kids to get smokes aswell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

I'm glad we don't have the same gun laws as in America. Because I'd probably shoot all the shallow bellends that seem to surround me on every night out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 559 ✭✭✭danger mouse

Im not a troll and please don't think I am, but I think every up standing normal member of this country should have the right to bare arms. Be it a hunting rifle handgun or semi automatic pistol, whatever it takes. My home is my castle and I should be able to protect it however I can.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭ArseLtd

"Never trust a government that doesn't trust its own citizens with guns" - Benjamin Franklin

In Britain they have a right to a shotgun, but must have reason for a pistol or rifle. Power to the people. Guns don't kill people, people kill people, because of society.
    nocoverart wrote: »
    I'm glad we don't have the same gun laws as in America. Because I'd probably shoot all the shallow bellends that seem to surround me on every night out.

I'm going to take this post seriously and answer accordingly. I bet you wouldn't, you'd be too pussy/good to shoot someone. Even if there was no law, there would be repercussions. Think about that. Point being law isn't what stops us shooting each other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Im not a troll and please don't think I am, but I think every up standing normal member of this country should have the right to bare arms.

Absolutely, everyone has the right to wear a T-shirt, farmers tan or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

Gitb1 wrote: »
    Feck you - I followed your advice, headed into Oddbins with my €300, demanded my Glock and am now posting this from my phone - in Mountjoy. Who knew they'd take it so badly?? "Only sell alcohol here", yeah right.. Luckily I had the foresight to conceal my mobile up me hole when the ARU arrived or I'd be completly cut off but I am seriously regretting getting a Blackberry..

Advertisement