Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Contract Issue

Options
  • 10-10-2012 8:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭

Hello there,

I have a contract situation in a central european country which I will ask a solicitor here about but just wanted peoples opinions.

Everything is verbal at this stage

There are 2 parts to it

1. I have been asked to take a 60% pay cut as I am too expensive but it was certainly implied that I should leave. Basically they will pay me my current salary until end Feb and then expect me to resign or take the cut.
    However I know that someone coming back from maternity leave has been offered the job and is planning on accepting this.
    Do you know can an employer do this?? Of course I am in foreign country so different laws but I just want peoples opinions.
    If I refuse can they make me redundant even though my job is not being made redundant?

2. I have a contract in local language and also in english. Both the local say 2 months notice if less than 5 years which I am.
    However there is a line at the bottom of the English one ONLY that says

"Both the contracting parties shall at least 6 months prior to the Employees employment termination date send to each other preliminary written information regarding the employment contract termination or renewal"

Also my contract does have a termination date of 31.1.2010 which is one year from when I started but this is normal here for some reason.
    I have an email today from HR confirming it has been changed in system to NO end date.

What do people think?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

In general I'd say you're not likely to succeed with a challenge in a foreign country as an expat in local courts in CEE. Between legislation (communist era based and usually relatively vague on details), court speed (a few years to process) and procedure (bribes may be required depending on how far east you go) I'd say you're not in the best of situations and would aim to cut a deal. Either you want to remain there and will need to go on a local contract (with all of what that entails) or a paid trip home (moving costs etc.).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭ronjo

Thanks for reply.

Well I am settled here... Local wife and kids so moving isnt first choice.

I actually sent all my info to a local solicitor who deals in Labour law and she will get back to me tomorrow.
    Am thinking that making a deal will be the best option too but obviously want to get the best deal possible.

Advertisement