Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

900+ job announcement by Kerry Group

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

A good news story about an indigenous successful company creating a lot of jobs in the immediate and very near future and not 1 single post on the thread

It must be true that only bad news sells

Anyway - well done Kerry Group

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,280 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I think it's more that there's little to discuss about the story: it's good news, what else can you say about it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭RUCKING FETARD

Anyone ever go back to check and see if these X number of Job announcements by companys/TDs ever actually materialise?

I say that as I know of one from awhile back that nothing ever came of so I'm guessing alot of these are pulled from dreamland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2012/1011/breaking4.html

Paddy Power now jumping on the bandwagon announcing 610 jobs over the next 3 years...more good news!

Between PP and Kerry group its two small steps in the right direction, I believe Kerry also bought their new premises in Kildare off NAMA so that's an extra bit of good news.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

bamboozle wrote: »
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2012/1011/breaking4.html

Paddy Power now jumping on the bandwagon announcing 610 jobs over the next 3 years...more good news!

Between PP and Kerry group its two small steps in the right direction, I believe Kerry also bought their new premises in Kildare off NAMA so that's an extra bit of good news.
    Define good news,

1. Good news for NAMA (taxpayer) as they got the full value of it back or
    2 . Good news for Kerry Group who got it at a knockdown price

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,264 ✭✭✭Elessar

This is good news but lets be realistic here:

I imagine the vast majority of these jobs are highly skilled, which means prospective candidates will have to have degrees, masters degrees, experience and certs coming out their bum hole. And since there is apparently a shortage of many highly skilled workers in Ireland, I imagine both companies will have to look abroad for many of the positions.

This seems very much like the Paypal fiasco. What was it? 1000 or so jobs announced in Dundalk? It would be a great jobs boost to the people of Louth they said. But what wasn't mentioned was the majority of them were multilingual positions i.e. they required fluency in a second language. Now, the majority of people in Co. Louth are not multilingual so it was of very little benefit to them. Paypal admitted afterward that they were forced to advertise abroad for these positions as they couldn't find the people here!!

Sorry to be a downer but realism sometimes looks like pessimism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Welease

Elessar wrote: »
    This is good news but lets be realistic here:

I imagine the vast majority of these jobs are highly skilled, which means prospective candidates will have to have degrees, masters degrees, experience and certs coming out their bum hole. And since there is apparently a shortage of many highly skilled workers in Ireland, I imagine both companies will have to look abroad for many of the positions.

This seems very much like the Paypal fiasco. What was it? 1000 or so jobs announced in Dundalk? It would be a great jobs boost to the people of Louth they said. But what wasn't mentioned was the majority of them were multilingual positions i.e. they required fluency in a second language. Now, the majority of people in Co. Louth are not multilingual so it was of very little benefit to them. Paypal admitted afterward that they were forced to advertise abroad for these positions as they couldn't find the people here!!

Sorry to be a downer but realism sometimes looks like pessimism.

Yes and No..

It would be great if all positions were filled by local folks etc. but even if every job were filled by external workforce, those external workforce will live locally and spend money locally, which will require employment in shops, services etc etc etc to facilitate. It's all money into the local economy, and it will either directly or indirectly benefit that local economy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Jaysus, for a second there I thought we'd got a good news story in the Irish Economy section.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

K-9 wrote: »
    Jaysus, for a second there I thought we'd got a good news story in the Irish Economy section.

Didn't last until the begrudgers got hold of it.

Thing is, both these announcements show that something positive is happening out there in the real economy away from the boards.ie doom and gloom.

Now, if only we had a social welfare system where your benefits got smaller the longer you were in the system (like the rest of Europe) then we might get some people actually wanting these jobs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭jbkenn

Godge wrote: »
    Didn't last until the begrudgers got hold of it.

Thing is, both these announcements show that something positive is happening out there in the real economy away from the boards.ie doom and gloom.

Now, if only we had a social welfare system where your benefits got smaller the longer you were in the system (like the rest of Europe) then we might get some people actually wanting these jobs.

What an idiotic conclusion, so you reckon Jacintha who is on the scratcher for 6+ years is going to fit the bill for Paypal?, or Mickser who can hardly write his own name, will be first choice for the Kerry Group?, these job announcements, while welcome, are only scratching the surface.
    I had my hair cut today in my local barbershop, owned by a friend of my daughters (who has emigrated) he told me that in the last four months 56 of his customers/friends have emigrated, why, because of the great life they could have on the dole, no, because they regretfully recognise they have no future in this broken country.
    You call it doom and gloom, I call it sad reality, positive thinking does not pay the grocery bill in the supermarket, it never did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

I agree that there's not much more that can be said about the Kerry or PP expansion besides the announcing of the jobs, but I think it was instructive to note the weight these stories were given with that of Olhausen's closure. Kerry created 900 jobs, PP 600 and they were relegated to the backend of the RTE news. Olhausen's closure resulted in the loss of 160 jobs, and it was treated as one of the main news events of the day. RTE are obviously wedded to the whole bad news sells mantra...

jbkenn wrote: »
    What an idiotic conclusion, so you reckon Jacintha who is on the scratcher for 6+ years is going to fit the bill for Paypal?, or Mickser who can hardly write his own name, will be first choice for the Kerry Group?, these job announcements, while welcome, are only scratching the surface.
    I had my hair cut today in my local barbershop, owned by a friend of my daughters (who has emigrated) he told me that in the last four months 56 of his customers/friends have emigrated, why, because of the great life they could have on the dole, no, because they regretfully recognise they have no future in this broken country.
    You call it doom and gloom, I call it sad reality, positive thinking does not pay the grocery bill in the supermarket, it never did.
    While Jacintha and Mickser have made the choices that lead them to being undesirable candidates for employment in professional jobs, they could still benefit from Paddy Power locating in their neighbourhood. Even if we were to make the wild assumption that every single position would be filled by Oleg, Hans and Gertrude from other EU countries, they'll still be spending money in the local economy. Maybe Jacintha can find work minding their children, cleaninig their houses or doing their hairdressing? Maybe Mickser can get a taxi plate and drive them to/from work or about town on a Saturday night. Maybe either of them could find employment in the local supermarket.

Or, since we're not living in absolute-world where every one of these jobs will be highly skilled, maybe they'll find jobs as grounds-keepers, canteen staff, janitorial staff or cleaners for the large new office block.

If you're low skilled, you need to either up-skill, or be grateful for the jobs you once saw as beneath you. That's the world we live in.

Einhard wrote: »
    I agree that there's not much more that can be said about the Kerry or PP expansion besides the announcing of the jobs, but I think it was instructive to note the weight these stories were given with that of Olhausen's closure. Kerry created 900 jobs, PP 600 and they were relegated to the backend of the RTE news. Olhausen's closure resulted in the loss of 160 jobs, and it was treated as one of the main news events of the day. RTE are obviously wedded to the whole bad news sells mantra...
    Realistically, it is more newsworthy. One is a decision that effects 160 people today and right away. The other stories are companies declaring an intention to hire large numbers of people. Where I work there was an announcement last year of an intention to hire another 15 people and it got air-time on national radio stations. Things changed for us and we ended up actually letting 3 people go instead of hiring any new staff but it was certainly an interesting lesson: any jobs announcement will get your company's name out there, the media is only dying to report good news.

Sleepy wrote: »
    While Jacintha and Mickser have made the choices that lead them to being undesirable candidates for employment in professional jobs, they could still benefit from Paddy Power locating in their neighbourhood. Even if we were to make the wild assumption that every single position would be filled by Oleg, Hans and Gertrude from other EU countries, they'll still be spending money in the local economy. Maybe Jacintha can find work minding their children, cleaninig their houses or doing their hairdressing? Maybe Mickser can get a taxi plate and drive them to/from work or about town on a Saturday night. Maybe either of them could find employment in the local supermarket.

Or, since we're not living in absolute-world where every one of these jobs will be highly skilled, maybe they'll find jobs as grounds-keepers, canteen staff, janitorial staff or cleaners for the large new office block.

If you're low skilled, you need to either up-skill, or be grateful for the jobs you once saw as beneath you. That's the world we live in .

summed it up very clearly there. What's more people offered jobs who refuse them need to have their entitlements and those of their partners reduced.

Anyway keeping up the vein of posting good news on here, today's relates to our trade surplus

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2012/1012/breaking27.html

despite a reduction in eurozone exports Irish exports have risen 18% year on year.

Define good news,

1. Good news for NAMA (taxpayer) as they got the full value of it back or
    2 . Good news for Kerry Group who got it at a knockdown price

From Wednesdays IrishTimes
    Nama acquired the loans behind the Millennium Business Park, which was sold, together with adjoining lands, for a record €315 million in 2006 to developers Tom Considine, Gerry Prendergast and Paddy Sweeney.

From the Independent
    IN 2006, at the height of the property boom, a consortium of three developers paid €315m for a 408-acre plot of land just outside Naas, in Co Kildare, which would become the Millennium Business Park.

At the time, it was the highest-ever price paid for land. Today, it is valued at just €38m, and is controlled by NAMA.

The group behind the purchase, Osberstown Developments Ltd, are low-profile developers Thomas Considine, Patrick Sweeney, from Galway, and Gerard Prendergast, with an address in Naas.

Osberstown is sitting on massive losses of €352m and its borrowings are controlled by AIB on behalf of NAMA. Sources in NAMA confirmed it had sold a 28-acre portion of the site to the Kerry Group but refused to reveal the price.

Accounts filed with the Companies Registration Office last month also show Osberstown's auditors cannot verify the land bank is worth €38m, because the property market has collapsed.

The valuation was carried out in November 2009 by estate agents CBRE.

Based on the current valuation, the amount paid by the Kerry Group is likely to be around €2.5m for the 28-acre site.

Had it been purchased during the boom, it could have fetched €21.5m.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

bamboozle wrote: »
    summed it up very clearly there. What's more people offered jobs who refuse them need to have their entitlements and those of their partners reduced.

Anyway keeping up the vein of posting good news on here, today's relates to our trade surplus

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2012/1012/breaking27.html

despite a reduction in eurozone exports Irish exports have risen 18% year on year.

Yes, we should definitely have a good news thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Based on the current valuation, the amount paid by the Kerry Group is likely to be around €2.5m for the 28-acre site.

Had it been purchased during the boom, it could have fetched €21.5m.

Good. An Irish company that actually provides successful products and researches its own product line is able to get a good site at a reasonable price while speculators lose out.

The only tragedy is that the taxpayer also lost out. :(

The way above is highlighted could make you think that Kerry have had the bargain of the century = they haven't exactly

In 2006 408 acres made 315m
    Todays value for 408 acres is about 38m
    Kerry only bought 28 acres so anything in the 2.5m mark is reasonable

Tipp Man wrote: »
    The way above is highlighted could make you think that Kerry have had the bargain of the century = they haven't exactly

In 2006 408 acres made 315m
    Todays value for 408 acres is about 38m
    Kerry only bought 28 acres so anything in the 2.5m mark is reasonable

I wasn't saying that Kerry got a major bargain but was highlighting the raw deal NAMA and the taxpayer got. That same bit of land would have cost around 20M during the boom so a 90% knockdown doesn't look good and the loss has to be realised on someones balance sheet.

It still looks like a good deal to Kerry if you ask me for 28 acres, half acre sites near my home in Galway were going for 700k during the boom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

I wasn't saying that Kerry got a major bargain but was highlighting the raw deal NAMA and the taxpayer got. That same bit of land would have cost around 20M during the boom so a 90% knockdown doesn't look good and the loss has to be realised on someones balance sheet.

It still looks like a good deal to Kerry if you ask me for 28 acres, half acre sites near my home in Galway were going for 700k during the boom

I think NAMA got exactly what they realistically expected.

It is just the taxpayer that got screwed.

• Advertisement

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2012/1016/breaking4.html

120 Jobs announced in Dublin, Letterkenny & Limerick IT

good news for the GSK plant in Sligo which is not now closing

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/finance/2012/1016/1224325297361.html?via=rel

700k for a half acre site in Galway is just beyond bonkers and just highlights the absolute mess we got ourselves into. Those prices have absolutely no reflection on any kind of sustainable price for land/site hence the bust. so there is no point in even mentioning them IMO

The Kerry deal looks like they paid a reasonable market price

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2012/1019/breaking9.html

300 retail jobs with Dealz over the next few months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Voltex

My small family run business created another job this week..this time last year we employed 33 people, as of today we employ 46 and another position created today.

I know its great to hear about the big plc's creating huge numbers of new jobs, but lets not forget that the bulk of employment is still created by SME's!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭liffeylite

Voltex wrote: »
    My small family run business created another job this week..this time last year we employed 33 people, as of today we employ 46 and another position created today.

I know its great to hear about the big plc's creating huge numbers of new jobs, but lets not forget that the bulk of employment is still created by SME's!

Good news and well done! Is this in the dublin area? It is seldom talked about how much of a diference between unemployment in dublin, 10% and parts of western ireland, 24% are evident. A tale of two cities...

Advertisement