Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway overtaken by Limerick?

Options
  • 10-10-2012 8:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭

I always knew this was a skewed statistic having lived in Limerick, but I understood that Galway was Ireland's 3rd biggest city. This was clearly down to how they drew the lines in Limerick at the time. Yet I searched online this morning and clearly we're in the number 4 slot. Was I dreaming?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

From Wiki:
    Galway (Irish: Gaillimh, pronounced [ˈɡalʲɪvʲ]),... It is the third most populous city in the State.

http://www.cso.ie/en/statistics/population/
    2006 we were third, is there newer numbers somewhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭liamhana

Just to let you know that Galway City Council will be doing a workshop on friday the19th in City Hall at 11am on the Census results from 2011. Including small areas - ie estate by estate data!
    Details will be on the website today.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Lots of Limerick is not in Limerick...is the problem.

Limerick is and always was BIGGER THAN GALWAY.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭liamhana

census 2011 - population Galway City = 75,529
    Limerick City - 57106

While limerick city's suburbs as a whole incorporates Clare/Limerick county areas, the administrative/electoral area is clearly defined & this is whats counted for censi.
    http://census.cso.ie/sapmap/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭glineli

liamhana wrote: »
    Limerick City - 57106

While limerick city's suburbs as a whole incorporates Clare/Limerick county areas, the administrative/electoral area is clearly defined & this is whats counted for censi.

Leave Clare out of this :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

liamhana wrote: »
    Limerick City - 57106

Interesting that CSO map includes the future M18 from Gort to Rathmorrissy.

Limericks problem is having major suburbs like Dooradoyle and Castletroy officially part of Co. Limerick and not the city.
    The county doesn't want to give up those rates either and they push the development of the Cresent shopping centre to the detriment of the centre of Limerick.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

biko wrote: »
    From Wiki:

http://www.cso.ie/en/statistics/population/
    2006 we were third, is there newer numbers somewhere?
    The 2011 Census are nearly complete.

As has already been pointed out, Limerick City's population has always been an issue due to the turf wars between the local authorities.

Robbo wrote: »
    Limerick City's population has always been an issue due to the turf wars between the local authorities.
    If they copped themselves on it would be about 90,000, 20% larger than Galway City. Could even reach 95000 if given expansion room like Galway City was in the 1980s ( much of which was used up since)

Going by the pre 1985 Boundary Galway would be back to being a lot smaller than Limerick as Knocknatallaght and Roscam and Doughiska and Merlin Park and Gentian Hill and parts of Renmore are returned to the county. :)
    Description of Area

The area forming part of the County Health District of Galway and comprising the townlands of Coolagh, Curragrean and Doughiska in the district electoral division of Ballintemple; the townland of Ballindooly in the district electoral division of Carrowbrowne; the townlands of Ballybaan Beg, Ballybaan More, Ballybrit, Castlegar, Coolagh, Glenanail, Menlough, Merlinpark, Murroogh, Parkmore, Rahylin Glebe, Roscam, Ballagh, Barnacranny, Bushypark, Dangan Lower, Letteragh and Rahoon in the district electoral division of Galway Rural; and the townlands of Ballyburke, Ballymoneen East, Ballymoneen West, Ballynahown East, Barna, Cappagh, Cloonagower, Clybaun, Keeraun, Kimmeenmore, Lenabower, Mincloon, Shanballyduff, Shangort, Acres, Derryloney, Gortnalecka, Knocknacarragh, Pollnaroorna West and Rusheen in the district electoral division of Barna.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

dloob wrote: »
    Limericks problem is having major suburbs like Dooradoyle and Castletroy officially part of Co. Limerick and not the city.

And Galway city does not include Barna, Oranmore, Claregalway, Athenry etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

newkie wrote: »
    I always knew this was a skewed statistic having lived in Limerick, but I understood that Galway was Ireland's 3rd biggest city. This was clearly down to how they drew the lines in Limerick at the time. Yet I searched online this morning and clearly we're in the number 4 slot. Was I dreaming?

Limerick "City" is larger when the suburbs are included. The tables below has details from two census tables #115, 116.

Area
    | Total | City Area
    Limerick|57 km sq | 28.38 km sq
    Galway| 53 km sq | 50.00 km sq

Population
    | City | Suburbs |Total
    Limerick | 57,106 |
    Galway| 75,529 |

For Galway it appears that the suburbs include small areas near the city boundary as suburbs e.g. Boleybeg & Tonabrukey in the west and Ballintemple & Twomiledtich in the east.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Does it matter?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

kayos wrote: »
    And Galway city does not include Barna, Oranmore, Claregalway, Athenry etc...

lol you cant compare Barna, Claregalway and Athery to Casteltroy... maybe there is an argument for Oranmore

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    IKnocknatallaght

Oops, looks like you made a typo in your post.

:D

Playboy wrote: »
    lol you cant compare Barna, Claregalway and Athery to Casteltroy... maybe there is an argument for Oranmore

Really - explain then why Castletroy is enumerated as part of the Limerick City and suburbs for census purposes, where none of the towns mentioned above are part of Galway? After all Oranmore & Bearna are as close to the Galway City boundary as Castletroy is to the Limerick City Boundary.

For comparison purposes I've taken two screenshots from the map viewer. Areas in Orange(ish) are the legally defined cities, the purplue colours are the suburbs, browns are nearby settlements/enumerated townlands.

Galway
    223887.jpg

Limerick
    223885.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Yes let's look at a map and decide if Dooradoyle can be compared to Barna

Explain?

Explain?

Dooradoyle is a massive place that is part of the city and everybody that lives there considers it part of the city.
    It's bigger than Knocknacarra by a long way and has a massive Shopping Centre that would be busier than the city centre itself. Therein lies part of the problem.

Anyone who has lived for a considerable time in both cities would agree in my opinion that Limerick is bigger size wise as you drive around it.

But logistically it's Galway City that is the bigger city according to the authorities.

It's no big deal in my opinion. It's just the way it is. As far as I know though County Limerick Council and Limerick City Council will soon amalgamate so Limerick will probably be a bigger city when that happens

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

antoobrien wrote: »
    Really - explain then why Castletroy is enumerated as part of the Limerick City and suburbs for census purposes, where none of the towns mentioned above are part of Galway? After all Oranmore & Bearna are as close to the Galway City boundary as Castletroy is to the Limerick City Boundary.

For comparison purposes I've taken two screenshots from the map viewer. Areas in Orange(ish) are the legally defined cities, the purplue colours are the suburbs, browns are nearby settlements/enumerated townlands.

Galway
    223887.jpg

Limerick
    223885.jpg

If you have lived in both cities (maybe you have?) you would know that Castletroy and Dooradoyle are essentially part of Limerick city in a similar way that knocknacara is in Galway. Athenry, Barna etc. are total distinct towns that sit outside the city

If you have lived in both cities (maybe you have?) you would know that Castletroy and Dooradoyle are essentially part of Limerick city in a similar way that knocknacara is in Galway. Athenry, Barna etc. are total distinct towns that sit outside the city

Castletroy & Dooradoyle (Suburbs of Limerick) are enumerated as part of the City, where Bearna & Oranmore (which are now suburbs of Galway) are not. Not exactly comparing like with like.

Athenry is extracting the urine a bit, but there is a case for Claregalway being described as a suburb of Galway.

Well I've have lived in Limerick and while there lived in Annacotty and worked in Castletroy so I do have some idea of the place.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

newkie wrote: »

Are you for real ??? Did you ever do Geography in school ?

antoobrien wrote: »
    Castletroy & Dooradoyle (Suburbs of Limerick) are enumerated as part of the City

They are not , they are enumerated as two separate EDs ( Ballycummin and Ballysimon) with a population of over 30,000 between them and are shown in purple as settlements on your graphic, turn off settlements and leave on cities ( the orange bit)

City + those two EDs = most of the real city of Limerick. There are other fragments in the Parteen ED to the north in Clare. Put another way, of the 130,000 population of county Limerick 30,000 are ACTUALLY in the City.

The Urban area of Limerick has a population somewhere between 91000 and 93000 or thereabouts and is a lot bigger than Galway although Limerick was twice the size of Galway (or more) until the 1960s.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

Explain?

There are just tiny strips of countryside between Dooradoyle and Castletroy and the city, blink and you'd miss it small if going by car.

Barna and Oranmore on the other hand have a good bit of country side between them and the city.
    I'm sure it will close up in time though and they will eventually be considered suburbs.

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    They are not , they are enumerated as two separate EDs ( Ballycummin and Ballysimon)

According to the map Castletroy is in Ballyvarra not Ballysimon, but that's besides the point because EDs are irrelevant, as they cover multiple independent areas e.g. Ballyvarra includes Annacotty and parts that are considered Limerick Suburbs (by he map). Using the EDs to calculate the urban area will end up bring in extra villages (a bit like bringing say kiltullagh into Galway city becuase part of Ballintemple ED is counted as the city).

Interestingly the Suburb maps that the CSO have put up ignore the county boundaries - Parteen is in Co Clare but counted as a suburb of Limerick - so that isn't skewing it smaller either.

The area mapped (including D & C) matches the population given for Limerick City & suburbs on table 116 - at 91,454.

223916.jpg

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Debating what provincial conurbation Castletroy's in?

50312_173560672679530_6943152_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Mannix1888

I think that's true for Athenry, but increasingly not the case for Barna. Would you consider Oranmore part of Galway City at this stage, I would.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

Having lived in both cites and liked then both there is no doubt in my mind that Limerick city centre is far bigger than Galway city centre, the rest is just politics about what subarbs are and are not included, the central question of which "city" is bigger, if we take out the politics is easy to answer for anyone who has visited both places

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Ficheall wrote: »
    Does it matter?

Well it is boards.ie... I've read so many posts from irate Dubs arguing that Tallaght is bigger than either Galway or Limerick. Why not have both sets of our lads team up against them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

There are way more cops in Limerick than Galway. What does that tell us? Limerick is bigger!

" there are 100 more gardaí in Limerick than in Galway, despite the fact that the Galway borough has the same population as Limerick"
    http://debates.oireachtas.ie/seanad/1995/11/02/00008.asp

I don't give a toss if Galway is the 37th biggest village in Ireland and Limerick becomes the new capital city. I ain't budging.

• Advertisement

ErnieBert wrote: »
    ?There are way more cops in Limerick than Galway. What does that tell us? Limerick is bigger!

" there are 100 more gardaí in Limerick than in Galway, despite the fact that the Galway borough has the same population as Limerick"
    http://debates.oireachtas.ie/seanad/1995/11/02/00008.asp

I don't give a toss if Galway is the 37th biggest village in Ireland and Limerick becomes the new capital city. I ain't budging.
    Do you really need to ask that question?

Advertisement