Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas market 2012

Options
  • 10-10-2012 10:22am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭

The market is going ahead from November 23 until December 22.
    I've discovered why it's so expensive - the traders are asked to stump up €20k for a stall for the four weeks to include rent, cleaning, electricity & heat.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

that's a terrible amount of money for four weeks.

Don't mean to sound like a killjoy, but I don't see anything spectacular with the Christmas market at Eyre Square - I find it quite tacky. It's basically a food hall with some tack. Much prefer the classier market on Market Street. But that's just me.

Over the two years I have been, I think I went up there maybe three times.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭buzz11

snubbleste wrote: »
    the traders are asked to stump up €20k

Thats what the city council charges for use of eyre square, yet in Cork the city council provides it for free in order to encourage life back to the city centre... go figure?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

buzz11 wrote: »
    Thats what the city council charges for use of eyre square, yet in Cork the city council provides it for free in order to encourage life back to the city centre... go figure?

Cork city has three or four times the population base to spread the cost over. And the council there can charge rates on empty commercial buildings.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

Is that 20K per stall or 20K divided among the traders for the area? Margins would be next to nothing if its per stall.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭buzz11

Cork city has three or four times the population base to spread the cost over. And the council there can charge rates on empty commercial buildings.

Good point, however they also didn't spend upto €15m redeveloping their inner city park.

Is that 20K per stall or 20K divided among the traders for the area?

Thats the cost for use of the whole area (including services i.e. water & electricity)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭leonidas83

Population Cork City - 119,230
    Population Galway City - 76,778

Hardly three to four times the population base of Galway. Its a complete disgrace, no faith in this council, charge excessive rates for businesses and strangle any potential new investment coming into the city. They have a habit of making a mess of any potential decision regarding infrastructure in the city too

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭01902

€666 per day. Not to bad for the amount of stalls their.

01902 wrote: »
    €666 per day. Not to bad for the amount of stalls their.

666 - NOT a good number :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,161 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

The market is going ahead from November 23 until December 22.
    I've discovered why it's so expensive - the traders are asked to stump up €20k for a stall for the four weeks to include rent, cleaning, electricity & heat.
    Have you a link for that.Its €20000 from the organisers for the use of Eyre Square and im pretty sure i read in the Sentinel that the costs to the traders are then being reduced for this year. I see good old killjoys like the Connolly sisters are whingeing that there were too many food stalls in it, clearly they havent been to any Xmas Markets in Europe then.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭sallybongers

that's a terrible amount of money for four weeks.

Don't mean to sound like a killjoy, but I don't see anything spectacular with the Christmas market at Eyre Square - I find it quite tacky. It's basically a food hall with some tack. Much prefer the classier market on Market Street. But that's just me.

Over the two years I have been, I think I went up there maybe three times.

Totally agree about that there is nothing spectacular in most of the stalls.

But I do really enjoy the bit of excitement it brings... It makes me feel all Christmassy :D So I'm really hoping it the stalls are better this year, cos there are only so many kangaroo burgers I can eat! (Surprisingly nice though)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Brad768

Totally agree about that there is nothing spectacular in most of the stalls.

But I do really enjoy the bit of excitement it brings... It makes me feel all Christmassy :D So I'm really hoping it the stalls are better this year, cos there are only so many kangaroo burgers I can eat! (Surprisingly nice though)

I feel exactly the same way, right down to those delicious kangaroo and crocodile burgers :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Acidflash

wow, investigative skills like that are normally only seen on TV3

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Ah c'mon, surely it's bbc standard :)
    I heard on RnaG that it was €20k per stall holder for the four week period. Maybe they got it wrong and meant thw whole event would cost that. They also elaborated that hotels were advertising this ie. Come to galway for the xmas market.

Ah c'mon, surely it's bbc standard :)
    I heard on RnaG that it was €20k per stall holder for the four week period. Maybe they got it wrong and meant thw whole event would cost that. They also elaborated that hotels were advertising this ie. Come to galway for the xmas market.
    Sure why wouldnt hotels, it reportedly brought thousands of extra consumers to the city last year, reliable figures being almost impossible to garner i would say though.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

If it includes rent, cleaning, electricity ... then 20k per stall sounds more realistic.

Think about it: 33 stalls for 33 days (rounding to make the maths easy): 1000 stall/days.

There is no way they'd get rent, electricity, cleaning for €20/day!

My guess: organizers have to stump up 20k for using the site - plus the cost of PL insurance, site setup and teardown, electricty, water, security, publicity, blah blah .... Rents that individual stallholders have to pay to the organizers vary widely depending on stall size and facilities. Somewhere between €50/day and €20k for the month. The council don't control this bit, since the financial risk is taken by the organizers.

Anyone wanna take a guess what their public-liability insurance costs? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Acidflash

I heard on RnaG that it was €20k per stall holder for the four week period.

Seems like a lot of money, I didn't think each stall could be taking in that much but then again it's there for 33 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

"Galway Continental Christmas Market organisers must pay a €20,000 bond and a €20,000 fee for the use of Eyre Square, which will be used for park improvements and the provision of utilities, including water and power, during the market."
    source

oh, so its the ORGANISERS that have to pay the 20K. not the stall holders. just as well, it wouldn't be worth their while.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

I hope the corn dog fella come back!

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭GastroBoy

newkie wrote: »
    I hope the corn dog fella come back!

+1 to that. Sound fella too, he was just closing up one evening last year, saw us coming and gave us a few freebies. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

I better get some ostrich or kangaroo this time. I keep missing out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

dinneenp wrote: »
    "Galway Continental Christmas Market organisers must pay a €20,000 bond and a €20,000 fee for the use of Eyre Square, which will be used for park improvements and the provision of utilities, including water and power, during the market."
    source

This sounds ominous

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    This sounds ominous
    Its usually to relay or reseed the grass areas after the market leaves etc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Only two weeks to go (still too early)
    http://www.galwaychristmasmarket.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭sunrise91

Oh I can't wait!! All I ever bought there was food but it makes me feel all christmassy, love it :D

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

The first year they did it it was much better than last year.

The snowy weather added to the ambience sure.... But the stalls and quality of food was better, it was more of a novelty and there seemed to be more to draw me there than there was the next year.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

€20K

Fúck me thats a lot of Corn Dogs. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭cats.life

im a celebratey get me out of here would be good for you:D

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Not quite as exotic but tescos have venison burgers now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Not quite as exotic but tescos have venison burgers now.

Must keep an eye out. Thanks :)

Advertisement